Forum Index > Trip Reports > Paddy-Go-South Peak and Tucquala Peak - 11/4/06
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostSat Nov 04, 2006 10:56 pm 
These two peaks are located just SE of Paddy-Go-Easy Pass (PGEP) and are mapped as Points 6566' and 6821' respectively. Mike Collins and I knew the weather was going to be complete crap, but with 4 Backcourt peaks all located within close proximity to PGEP we figured our chances were good that we would at least get one or two, if not all four. Things were calmer than expected in the early morning hours driving over Snoqualmie Pass. No rain, no wind and there was even a sighting of blue sky. We passed through Roslyn and Ronald around sunrise and made our way up valley with just a couple hunters out and about. Not a hiker to be seen. I think we were both surprised to find 6-8" of snow covering Road 4330. We followed some existing tracks for several miles, but I was still glad I decided to toss 120 lbs worth of sand bags in the back of the Tacoma. Eventually, everyone else before us decided to turn around and we ended up breaking trail (dare I say freshiez!) for the final 5 or 6 miles to the TH...good fun! Scatter Creek was nice and high although not a problem. Might be a bit beyond a Subaru though. After the long and slow drive up the valley, we didn't waste time starting the slog to PGEP. Even with 6-8" of snow on it, the trail was still easy to follow all the way to the pass. The snow was wet and heavy all day and my feet were nice and wet even before PGEP. Snow higher up along the ridge and on the peaks was between 18" and 24" deep and typical Cascade concrete. At the pass, the weather changed in a hurry. Visibility was garbage, the snow was flying, and the wind was probably in the 30-50 mph range constantly on the west facing slopes. We left the trail just a few feet shy of the formal low spot on the ridge and started the slog southward. Since we couldn't see crap, I'm not sure if we ever knew exactly where we were, but we weren't lost. We gained a small bump NW of the south peak then dropped a bunch of elevation so we could traverse the west side of the NW ridge of the south peak. This worked well enough and eventually we came to the summit "block" which we climbed from the NW. Some snowy and icy class 3 got us to the summit where it was VERY miserable! We signed the register then dropped off the summit the way we had come. I was pretty wet at this point...and damn that wind! We never did see Tucquala Peak and just felt our way over to it. We dropped down and around to the south of the south peak and worked down through a lot of snowy talus to the broad saddle just east of the south peak. From here we had a tiring slog up to the next two high points along the ridge. The angles were moderate and the only nice thing about the heavy snow was that it held steps nicely. From these high points, we dropped a bit further than we had planned into the broad basin just to the WSW of Tucquala. The wind and snow were intense at this point, but with the wind at our back pushing us uphill, the final 400' to the summit wasn't as bad as some of the other death slogs of the day. We generally approached Tucquala from the SW without much issue. We didn't find a register, but we didn't really look and there was 2 feet of snow on the top, so who knows. The summit was just a colder, windier, wetter, and more miserable version of the terrain lower down, so we bailed in a hurry. As long as we kept moving we stayed warm. So, we just followed our steps out instead of potentially navigating a more efficient route out which meant stopping and looking at maps and instruments and whatever. Keep moving! Once back at the broad saddle east of the south peak, we initiated a descending traverse to the NW. This eliminated any further elevation gain for the day and connected us nicely with the trail we had used in the morning. Below about 5900' the snow changed to rain and it was a slush-fest all the way back to the truck. With the heavy rain of the day, the road out was a lot faster going. Scatter Creek was raging, but still not a problem for high clearance vehicles. Another good trip and it was good to get out and do a good November suffer-fest again. Too many of these sunny, running shoes only type trips lately. biggrin.gif Paddy-Go-Easy, South Peak and Tucquala: ~8 miles, ~5000', ~7 hours It was hardly the day for picture taking, but I did manage to get off a few before my hands froze:
TH Parking
TH Parking
The Road
The Road
Views From Tacquala
Views From Tacquala
Views From South Peak
Views From South Peak
Mike Near Tucquala Summit
Mike Near Tucquala Summit
Nearing Paddy-Go-Easy pass
Nearing Paddy-Go-Easy pass
Guard Station
Guard Station
Browsing the Paddy-Go-Easy, South Peak Register
Browsing the Paddy-Go-Easy, South Peak Register

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat Nov 04, 2006 11:33 pm 
Dude. Damn. I'm a complete, total weather wuss. Either that, or you guys are nuts. So which is it?

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostSun Nov 05, 2006 12:07 am 
Im loving these snow pictures..whoo hoo! up.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Nov 05, 2006 1:32 am 
I'm neck deep in library books. Watch me read until the weather gets cold enough so's I can go skiing. Until then, peakbaggers go gettum. Thanks for the TR, gets me excited about winter a bit.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Oren
Grampa Murphy

Oren
Grampa Murphy
PostSun Nov 05, 2006 6:47 am 
Hows that saying go? Come rain, sleet or snow the peak must be bagged. clown.gif Strong commitment guys up.gif

Long since I've been amongst majestic peaks nor side mirrored lakes where awe so speaks. Blanketed valleys the dawn awakes and blinking stars to fade. My soul is called to see these things, the Hand of God has made.
Karen

Karen
PostSun Nov 05, 2006 7:02 am 
I'm impressed up.gif .... but not envious. suuure.gif Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
JimK

JimK
PostSun Nov 05, 2006 9:25 am 
You guys are nuts. 5000' of gain in those conditions? wink.gif

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Nov 05, 2006 11:32 am 
I was glad to have brought a balaclava and goggles. The wind buffeted us with sideways driven snow. Randy's face was being blasted with the crystals.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Nov 05, 2006 12:56 pm 
Great pics, Randy. They show just exactly what a nice day you had. doh.gif David

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Type E

Type E
PostSun Nov 05, 2006 3:33 pm 
As usual the two of you inspire me to raise the bar for myself a bit higher.

TrailPair

TrailPair
PostSun Nov 05, 2006 4:44 pm 
Good job! We have enjoyed such views from summits ourselves(the Trail Pair summit curse!). up.gif

This thing called work is interfering with my play
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostSun Nov 05, 2006 7:03 pm 
Glad folks liked the report and even the pictures. My face was burning for several hours after the trip from being peppered by the wind and snow. Quark, you hang too much along the MLH, in all weather conditions, to be called a weather wuss. Not sure about Mike, but I'm nuts. My wife says the same, so I believe it. biggrin.gif

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Nov 06, 2006 9:48 am 
Nice! Too bad a picture cannot capture wind.

Art is an adventure.
Beave

Beave
PostMon Nov 06, 2006 9:05 pm 
No kidding; Stefan, what was the name of those peaks we did out by the Chiwuakum area?? Peak 7123' or something like that. Those were the worst winds I have ever been involved with. Even when hunkered down for the big gusts, it felt like I was about to be pulled off the mountain!! If there was ever a day for goggles, that was it.

Plinko

Plinko
PostTue Nov 07, 2006 6:35 pm 
What a difference a few days makes. I was up there the previous week in shorts and a t-shirt working on my tan. up.gif Here's a pic: