Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mount Pilchuck 11-8-06
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl
PostWed Nov 08, 2006 8:00 pm 
Really wanted to go hiking today, So Mostly Lost decided to skip work to hike with me. Yay! hehe. She had been wanting to do pilchuck again... and since the summit of that mountain was on my to-do list... I decided to go along with it. smile.gif Left home a little after 9am... made a stop along the way and got to the trailhead by 10:45am. No other cars around. From the very start the trail was more of a creek than a trail... no doubt from the recent rains. There was actually still a little patchy snow at the trailhead and some along the way as we headed up. Then just as we popped out of the woods we hit snow. Not much snow... but snow. It was just an inch or two at first... but even up at the summit we didn't have more than 3 inches! Shortly after hitting snow... it began to do just that... snow. Then as we got closer to the summit... the snow stopped falling and the sun started to peek through the fog. Up near the lookout it was 35 degrees according to my themometer and breezy. The sun keep peeking at us every time a cloud blew out of our way to give us a little bit of a view. cool.gif We decided against scrambling up the rocks to the lookout as it was likely locked anyway and the rocks looked rather slick with all that snow on them. So we munched on our granola bars and took some pictures before heading back down. The trip down wasn't at all as slick as we thought it would be. But that was probably cus I had my trusty poles with me. All we could think about was getting some nice hot food inside of us. agree.gif We were a bit nervous going over some of the portions of flat rocks because they looked slick with run off but they were actually just fine. The creek crossing near the trailhead was gushing and crossing both ways was fun shakehead.gif but I somehow managed without getting a single foot wet. winksmile.gif I thought the hike was a nice fun way to spend a day off. smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostWed Nov 08, 2006 8:30 pm 
Hey, GodleyLittle! Thank you for the TR and letting us know one can get to Pilchuck road. Mountain Loop HY is supposed to be closed at Blue Bridge, which you drove over to turn right to drive up to TH. How bad was the road...it must have had run-off ruts and stuff? I just cannot believe you were there! Mt. Baker-Snoq. NF Web site says Mountain Loop Road is closed; ditto State WDOT. It will prove to be an adventure to see how far up the road one will get. You drove through Granite Falls and over the bridge above the actual Granite Falls. Any evidence of water standing or damage? I can't wait to see how far I get up there, perhaps this weekend. I was worried Silverson slide down onto the road....all those nifty historic structures from 1880's. I am wondering if anyone has gone to Robe Canyon trail from the Granite Falls side or from the Mountain Loop Road TH. Thanks for the TR...an "eye openere"!

Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostWed Nov 08, 2006 8:31 pm 
Hey, GodleyLittle! Thank you for the TR and letting us know one can get to Pilchuck road. Mountain Loop HY is supposed to be closed at Blue Bridge, which you drove over to turn right to drive up to TH. How bad was the road...it must have had run-off ruts and stuff? I just cannot believe you were there! Mt. Baker-Snoq. NF Web site says Mountain Loop Road is closed; ditto State WDOT. It will prove to be an adventure to see how far up the road one will get. You drove through Granite Falls and over the bridge above the actual Granite Falls. Any evidence of water standing or damage? I can't wait to see how far I get up there, perhaps this weekend. I was worried Silverson slide down onto the road....all those nifty historic structures from 1880's. I am wondering if anyone has gone to Robe Canyon trail from the Granite Falls side or from the Mountain Loop Road TH. Thanks for the TR...an "eye opener"!

JimK

JimK
PostWed Nov 08, 2006 8:41 pm 
Late Monday afternoon there was indeed a barricade at the Pilchuck bridge. I'm a little surprised it has been reopened so quickly. Sabahboy, if you check the "Stilliguamish" thread in Trail Talk you can see my movies of the river in the Robe Canyon and from the Pilchuck bridge right near the peak of the river heighth. At 10 feet above flood stage it was amazing.

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostWed Nov 08, 2006 8:55 pm 
Thanks for the report!

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl
PostWed Nov 08, 2006 10:01 pm 
We saw the signs off to the side of the road... perhaps in case of further closure. We actually accidently drove past the turn to pilchuck and found the road block not too far from there. Pilchuck is the furthest along the mountain loop you will get. Although we did see a car heading along in the direction of the road block... to us it looked like it may have been removed while we were hiking... not sure. Anyway... the road to pilchuck was actually in great condition. there was one minor blowdown on the road... but perfectly driveable. We could see spots where water had washed gravel over some paved spots... and we saw one portion where there was a rut from run off in a gravel portion of the road... but nothing major.