Forum Index > Trip Reports > Denny Creek, Melakwa Lakes 11.11.06
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSat Nov 11, 2006 9:14 pm 
Dang it SlowWalker, ya beat me to it! wink.gif Your tracks were still barely visible in places even with the new snow. I'll keep it short since SlowWalker wrote a good report already. I've always thought Denny Creek would be really pretty in the snow, but never considered going there in the winter because of avalanche danger. Glad I went up today! So much new snow! It started getting rapidly deeper from the point where I emerged onto the open slopes. The branches were weighted with heavy snow and I had to launch a few pre-emptive strikes with my trekking poles to knock them free before going on. Around some of the boulders the drifts were very deep! I went in boots and gaiters until around the switchbacks past the falls, then put on the snowshoes the rest of the way. It slowed me down alot, but helped a little with the postholing. Snow is still not consolidated at all. I hit the lakes right at my turnaround time so I didn't stay long. Just ate my sandwich and warmed up with some of SarBar's excellent trail cocoa. The slope with the trail to the upper lakes is too loaded to try to get up there.
Lots of fresh-snow photos! Denny Creek / Melakwa Lakes trip photos

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Nov 11, 2006 10:00 pm 
Great shots. Nice hike. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
justybug
henteaser

justybug
henteaser
PostSun Nov 12, 2006 12:21 pm 
love the maple seed shot! nice pics..

kenya believe it?? "Time is so everything doesn't happen at once. Space is so everything doesn't happen to you."