Previous :: Next Topic

PostSat Nov 18, 2006 8:09 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSat Nov 18, 2006 10:01 pm 
smile.gif I lived across from DP SP for a couple years and often walked to North Beach from my house. I love that place!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostSat Nov 18, 2006 10:21 pm 
Great pictures PiB. I never get tired of DP.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat Nov 18, 2006 10:34 pm 
I got a few neat photos too, different scenes. I'll try & get 'em posted tomorrow. We all had our favorite thing; PiB's was the massive rocks and twisty ropes of kelp and that other stuff, mine was the patterns of wood, Ann's was the colorful rocks in the water. I'd have paid good money to get a photo of the thousands of lights from the refinery at Anacortes reflected in the slough there. But PiB got all wussy on me and wouldn't stop on the highway. What is it about the fragrance of the coast? Is it the water? The salal? It's so distinct and wonderful. I wish I didn't like Deception Pass SP so much. Everytime I go there I drop at least hundred bucks at that bookstore in Anacortes. It pisses me off, if you want to know the truth.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSat Nov 18, 2006 10:59 pm 
Putz, go there in the middle of the winter, and wait for the perfect tide to come in. There are times when the water goes still as glass, except for the whirlpools. The whirlpools are the best. Sit on the rocks high up, near the bridge and just gaze. Also, have you hiked the trails over on the Cornet Bay side? Gone up to Goose Rock? Goose Rock in the fog is the best. We lived at the head of Cornet Bay, across the street from the park. I'd cut across the park, and zip up Goose Rock from the backside. I was 16, and had to find somewhere to go smoke and get away from my parents wink.gif We lived in a dump of a shack with a view that was priceless. I used to hike down the beaches of Cornet Bay and then up the corridors from the massive high voltage lines, you can walk forever under those, practically the whole island. I quit walking past Alta Spit after the little girl was murdered in the 90's and her body was dumped somewhere along there. Btw, don't know if you have seen it, but Green Trails finally made a map of the ACFL and DP's trails. The kayak store in Anacortes has it for sale. It is much better than what existed before.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSat Nov 18, 2006 11:05 pm 
Pütz-in-Boots wrote:
Thanks sarbar. I'll keep the tips in mind when I'm looking for something to do on a cold Winter day...
That and the 30 miles of trails down the road at Ft. Ebey! If you need a copy of the map (which was made a number of years ago, and is not commonly found) I never mind mailing copies out. It has awesome beach hiking and great carcamping for the dead of winter.

l

l
PostSun Nov 19, 2006 12:32 am 
Pütz-in-Boots wrote:
Deception Pass really is a gorgeous place. Part of me is torn that it has such a "negative" name. How could such a beautiful place be a deception??? I'm not sure how it got it's name. I'm sure it's got an interesting history.
Explanation

wbs

wbs
PostSun Nov 19, 2006 1:59 am 
Look down from the bridge sometime during flood tide. deceptive currents

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Nov 20, 2006 1:56 pm 
Photos:
Shell at West Beach
Shell at West Beach
Deception wood pattern
Deception wood pattern
Deception multi-hued logs
Deception multi-hued logs
Ham
Ham

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostMon Nov 20, 2006 5:39 pm 
Deception Pass St. Park
Yes. It is always wonderful. The short "hikelette" at the north side of the Park is cut into the cliff a bit and really has a nice feeling to it. I favor the island to the NW of the Pass bridge. It has a wonderful character of tiny bays and high cliffs; and, in spring, some fine wildflowers. My last time there was a month ago. Time flies!