Forum Index > Trip Reports > Echo Mtn, 11/19 - King County Natural Area park
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Nov 20, 2006 9:06 am 
I rattled cages of my 2 rainy-day freinds yesterday, alas, to no avail. Wusses.... I learned about this King County Natural Area in Renton by joining on several WTA new trail-building workparties five (?) years ago or so, and maintenance on a couple of existing trails a few years ago. It’s a beautiful place, and the summit of Echo Mtn. boasts the lowest elevation of chocolate lilies around (I don’t know the parameters). The December 2003 windstorm rendered the trails un-hikeable, according to a trip report on WTA’s website. But all that has been fixed, and it’s a wonderful little place. Today was a perfect day to check out this gorgeous lowland trail. I didn’t want to go too far, in case the predicted windstorm hit while I was out. It’s not a well-known trail system; I usually forget about it, too. I’m glad I remembered it today! First, I wandered around the perimeter of the park – very pretty flat forest; alder tangled up in vines and moss-draped strands of neighboring trees, the wonderful, thick muliple trunks of the big leaf maple, and cherry trees. Lush, large, mossy cedars, and lots of fern and Oregon grape. There’s picky twiney stuff all over the place too. The trails are in excellent condition; local boy scout troops have done some work up there. Don’t bother looking around for a real big summit, you won’t notice anything; so I’ll give you directions on how to get there. There are no signs in the park except for one for the Peak Trail, but you have to know where to find the sign in the first place. I helped install the sign years ago, but couldn’t exactly remember where it was. Today, I stumbled upon the Peak Trail after bashing around an abandoned trail, just for the hell of it. I popped out right in front of the Peak Trail sign. I bet the brainstorming session for the naming of that trail went on for hours. To get to the summit of Echo Mtn, from the trailhead turn onto the little trail to the right. The trail will come out onto the road (it’s gated, so no cars). Continue on the road to the right (uphill). It’s a pretty stiff grade. You’ll see the Peak Trail sign in about 15ish minutes. Take the lush trail up, and in 10 or 15 minutes you’re on the little summit. Lots of nice smooth rock to sit on. Views of Rainier are to be had, but of course not today. This is where the chocolate lilies are, when they’re blooming, but of course not today. Anyway, it rained like a madman all flippin’ day, and as I got to the windward side of the summit, all hell broke loose. Wind was screaming through the trees, and bucketfuls of rain were dumping on me. It was pretty cool. I hoped all the dead snags had already come down in last weeks storm. I stood on the summit a few minutes, and then exited quickly to get out of the wind. I heard some strange sounds up there, though. I got a little creeped out. I have quite an imagination, though, thanks to literature. I just re- read Thomas Hardy’s The Woodlanders last week. The woods are sorta scary in that novel. Anyway, nice place, and a good stroll on a winter day. I estimate about 6-7 miles of trails throughout this little park. Instead of going right, to the Peak Trail, I at first went straight – this trail winds around the perimeter of the park, and is a very worthy little jaunt. There are several trails laced throughout the park; I think I hit all of them in the course of the day. A new neighborhood road cuts through one of them, unfortunately. Look for the pink flag on the other side of the construction site to continue into the park. To get to Echo Mtn: Take Hwy 169 to 196th (also signed Jones Road). 196th is a traffic signaled road, and there’s a Turn Only lane on 169 for 196th. Right onto 196. Go about 1.4 miles. Right onto 183rd. Almost immediately, turn Right onto Spring Lake Road, and drive it to the end and the trailhead (a gated road). Don’t park next to the fence on the right – it’s a guy’s driveway access. Here are a couple of pics: I might post a couple more later, but they look a little fuzzy at first glance - it was a dark and stormy day at Echo.
Echo red_osier and creek
Echo red_osier and creek
Echo summit_ fern, fungus and shrubbery
Echo summit_ fern, fungus and shrubbery
Echo trail
Echo trail
Echo transparent leaf and fungus
Echo transparent leaf and fungus

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
whitebark

whitebark
PostMon Nov 20, 2006 11:01 am 
Nice report. Echo Mountain Park reminds me of a miniature Cougar Mountain. The hard rock summit of the high point has a surprising high mountain feel.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Nov 20, 2006 1:24 pm 
Yeah, Whitebark, I thought the same thing about Echo Mtn; it’s a lot like Cougar – old growth is present here and there, yet lots of light gets in. I considered Cougar, but figured to do Echo, since I remembered it. I always remember Cougar – there’s no telling when the memory that Echo Mtn exists will collide again with the opportunity of doing Echo Mtn – it’s been 4 or 5 years for memory and opportunity to collide this time.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting