Forum Index > Trail Talk > Do you carry a gun on backpacking trips?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Mar 29, 2003 12:13 am 
It's called the second amendment to the United States constitution Mal! Thank GOD our founding fathers had a much clearer picture of our present and future than YOU seem to! That you can criticize me or anyone else on our/my spelling, and somehow link an intelligence to that is typical lefty logic! People like you are small in the scope of things! There is a much bigger, better picture to this. Right now the latest pole shows 78+ % of the US population in support of President Bush! Bummer for you. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSat Mar 29, 2003 12:15 am 
...there in the sand at the edge of the gravel where the stream lapped the shore were the fresh tracks of a huge mountain lion, heading upstream. I was only armed with my fly rod. The stream (remains unnamed here) is one I have fly fished for over 40 years for pan-sized trout, a section of stream I fished with both my grandfather and father way back when, which remains today still relatively wild on Nat'l Forest land. "No cat" was going t keep me from fly fishing! I continued on up a few miles into the "Shangri-la Pools" where huge Douglas firs towered overhead shading the stream from little sunlight, and moss grew thick heavy with dew and clung to the boulders of the canyon...everything was an emerald-green like a lush rainforest of the Tropics. When I had caught my fill, as well as the wading, I returned from whence I'd came. There, in the sand again were the cats fresh tracks heading back downstream...he'd been watching me the whole time from above, but I never wavered as I felt he wasn't interesed in me anyhow...just seeing how the human fishing was done. But I knew he was there and not too far from the stream. In the Olympics way off the beaten path (in Larry Country) I've made many a camp with Mark Boyle and Glen Lee (my two long-trusted climbing/hiking pals) with bears all around...12-15 of them at one camp. But they never bothered us, too busy feeding on berries. See: olympic black bear photo at http://www.alpinequest.com on the Photo Guest Page. At no time have I ever been really afraid of 4-legged creatures, two legged perhaps? Rarely do I ever carry a gun anymore except during hunting season, but on occasional road trips with expensive gear the handgun is sometimes included.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Mar 29, 2003 12:22 am 
Why is this an issue? Let those who wish to carry carry, and those who wish to abstain, abstain! Somehow those against always criticize those who choose to carry! Hmm! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Errin' Spelling

Errin' Spelling
PostSat Mar 29, 2003 12:37 am 
Hey Joe, sometimes your spelling is a little amusing, but we can usually make scents out of what you are trying to say. It's good to know, for example, that the pole is supporting Bush.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Mar 29, 2003 12:40 am 
I only pack heat when necessay. Always when hunting seldom when hiking, frequently when car camping in the desert.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Mar 29, 2003 1:31 am 
Packing heat!!!! What a bummer. The point is that each person is responsible for his/or her actions! I wish every woman carried a firearm! You'd see most assaults end! TB

Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostSat Mar 29, 2003 9:44 am 
Guns in backcountry
If I hike alone I carry. With others along I usually don't. But if I happen to be packing no one else knows. I wouldn't want to offend anyone. I never have had to use it and hope never to, but was glad to have it one day when I awoke early one morning while camped beside the Skokomish River to find a very large cougar 3 feet away from me, looking at me with his great big eyes. They really do have Big teeth too. eek.gif

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
Mike E.

Mike E.
PostSat Mar 29, 2003 11:39 am 
Lead Dog, So what happened ? Geez, talk about suspense. Did you have to use your gun on that big toothed cougar or what ? I can hardly stand not knowing.

Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostSat Mar 29, 2003 12:16 pm 
Cougar
When I woke to find that cougar in camp it was kind of funny, because I had packed I wasn't scared but sort of relaxed and because I was relaxed I could study the cat with great detail. How often can you get a chance like this. It was such a beautiful animal. I think it was relaxed also because it just stood their and looked at me. Then after awile it walked off WOW!!!! Later as I broke camp I discovered it"s tracks right next to where I was laying-I wasn't using a tent, I was tarp hiking. Nice idea Jardine moon.gif A wonderful hiking moment.

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
salish

salish
PostSat Mar 29, 2003 4:02 pm 
I carry a firearm once in a while, and like Lead Dog it's never obvious. I often times carry a little .22 pistol after Sept. 1st when grouse are legal. I'm not very good at spelling, either.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Mar 29, 2003 6:34 pm 
If I am in an area where there is a good likelihood of meeting people I conceal my weapon. If there isn't that likelihood I carry it exposed. TB

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSat Mar 29, 2003 7:01 pm 
One of the more interesting Cougar stories I've heard was one by Jeffrey Olson, now a professor at the university of Wyoming. He and two others were sleeping near the top of Aasgard Pass, they in a tent and Jeff outside on a tarp, when he woke up in the morning, he noticed Cougar tracks less than a foot or so from where his head was. When i heard this story, I emailed Jeff and this was his response:
Quote:
I do have a photo somewhere of the pawprint in the sand, not 6" from my head as I lay sleeping. It's true!!! Jeff...
I believe we probably have more encounters of this kind then we might be aware of although the story by Lead dog is a classic.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
salish

salish
PostSat Mar 29, 2003 9:55 pm 
Wow Dean, that's an amazing story. I've got one of my own, not so scary, though. Two springs ago three of us (and our two dogs) hiked into Anderson Lake(s) near Baker Lake, for an overnight trip. It was cool because the snowpack allowed us to travel cross country and made the trip much faster. At one point one or more of us thought we saw something out of the corner of our eye way back on the trail, looking at us, but we thought it was a doe or something. We made Anderson Lake and camped, and on the way out the next morning we followed our tracks and saw the cougar tracks intercept ours and it was obvious it followed us most of the way to the lake. It as pretty cool. Our dogs were on high alert, too. We guessed it was the four legged ones the cat was thinking about. But your tale of the cat-by-the-sleeping-head story is priceless.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun Mar 30, 2003 1:05 pm 
Cliff: I was intrigued by Jeff's story because I hadn't ever heard of anyone reporting a cougar sighting in the Enchantment area. The spot he was sleeping is an area I have camped myself and is nice, flat and sandy. I've heard of a bear that used to live in the Nada Lake area but I haven't seen any nor any bear sign in that area. Anyone know of a bear story for the Enchantment/Mt. Stuart area?

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 8:02 am 
Cougar
I think the cougar that visited my camp lives in the area. Catwoman told me she heard a cougar while camped at Flapjack Lake which is close to where I was.