Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > First WTA Maintenance Thingy!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostSun Jan 07, 2007 5:31 pm 
Weee! While high winds had us bail early today, it was a lovely (albeit very wet and soggy) first experience doing trail maintence. A migraine kept me from attending last week (as I had planned), but today was great! I can look back on that 30 feet of trail and say "man, we really made that mucky bit much nicer!". I can't remember the crew lead's name (very friendly, tall guy with a bushy red beard), but he had lots of friendly nice things to say about a bunch of you guys. smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Jan 07, 2007 5:58 pm 
Tim Van Beek. up.gif Tim looks like one 'o those curly haired dudes on a Grecian urn. If you don't believe me, sign up and you'll see for yourself.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostSun Jan 07, 2007 6:37 pm 
I have no pics. frown.gif Maybe next time. I think it was a Tim, but I'm horrid with names. He broke out into a after-the-holidays rendition of "It's beginnging to look a lot like tra-il" that was *quite* funny. smile.gif He did mention both of you by NWHikers handle. (He asked how I heard about WTA, and it was through here.) We were working the Bullit Access Trail on Squak. It's nice to do work like that so close to home too. smile.gif And learning about how to do the work - sure, the idea of "drainage" seems simple... dizzy.gif (To clean off, I just took a shower with my rain gear on. :P My husband was amused. lol.gif ) Anyone signed up for next Sunday? smile.gif

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Jan 07, 2007 10:16 pm 
You love it! cool.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Jan 07, 2007 10:49 pm 
yeah, well...infamous may not be so good. shakehead.gif Nuke, I'm going to work on Cougar Mtn trail in the next month - Squak and Cougar are my favorite urban trails to work on. If you get hooked on trail maintenance - and many do - maybe we'll meet up on a work party soon, hey? I'll make some flax-seed fruit-leather using the recipe you posted on this site, and you can critique it. up.gif Did your hubby go too?

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostSun Jan 07, 2007 11:05 pm 
My hubby is not so outdoorsy. :P But I got him - after five years of my own practice - to do yoga with me. Of course, I had to design a (short) class just for him (and his goal - overcoming some instability getting in the way of rock climbing) and we had to make lots of non-traditional modifications (for his wonky knees). But he did yoga with me! party.gif So I can't even be sad he didn't do any trail work, or he wouldn't have done the yoga. smile.gif (This makes me so very happy!) I hope to meet up with some of you guys on the trail parties! And a big "Thank You" for introducing me to them!

grasshopper

grasshopper
PostWed Jan 10, 2007 4:24 pm 
What do you do on trail maintenance work parties? You must get really, really dirty and grimy. Do you need outdoor construction equipment? Hard hat, stuff like that?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jan 10, 2007 7:40 pm 
I found this in the PI this morning. By the way, this time of year, we wear tin pants instead of Carhaarts! (You have to read into the web site to understand.) Oh, this tells about work parties and such. The address is wta.org

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jan 10, 2007 7:52 pm 
Filson tin pants rule in winter. I have waxed ones; haven't been washed in 5 years. You can't wash 'em! You hose 'em down and sweep off the gunk. Remaining gunk - remains. I'm too fat for the ones I have, though. Haven't worn em in awile. I have several different sizes in Carhartts 'cause they're not as expensive; but the Filsons - oy vay. I'll lost weight to wear the ones I already have. A new trend in trailwork is the ShirtJac (sp) from Filson. Or Jackshirt. Something like that.... Mention WTA at Filson; you won't get a discount as far as I know, but the salesmen like to know where the business comes from.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jan 10, 2007 7:54 pm 
grasshopper wrote:
What do you do on trail maintenance work parties? You must get really, really dirty and grimy. Do you need outdoor construction equipment? Hard hat, stuff like that?
Check out wta.org. They supply all the tools and hardhat, you supply yourself, your clothes, workgloves, grub. There aren't construction materials. Just hand tools. Maybe a gas drill on occasion, or a wheelbarrow, but that's about it.

nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostWed Jan 10, 2007 9:57 pm 
grasshopper wrote:
You maintain trails! :P What I did on this one (and this is from the perspective of someone who doesn't know what they're doing): removed the organic "gunk" from the top layer of the trail, pulled out salmonberry, ferns, and overhanging branches that were narrowing the trail, 'regraded' the width of the trail (aka - moved dirt) so water would run down the side of the trail and not the middle. I also chatted with people, took breaks, got rained on, and had fun. biggrin.gif

grasshopper

grasshopper
PostThu Jan 11, 2007 8:55 am 
Hmmm, hmmmmm...That would be a good cause, help Mt Rainier. The best volunteering you can do. Like lighting a candle instead of cursing the darkness. Still need that money though, hope Congressman Dicks can push it through. Filson clothes for trail work though. Wow, pretty pricey duds, but they are rugged.

nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostThu Jan 11, 2007 9:39 am 
grasshopper wrote:
Hmmm, hmmmmm...That would be a good cause, help Mt Rainier. The best volunteering you can do. Like lighting a candle instead of cursing the darkness. Still need that money though, hope Congressman Dicks can push it through. Filson clothes for trail work though. Wow, pretty pricey duds, but they are rugged.
WTA is doing Mt. Rainier work (supposedly) this year. They are a non-profit, so don't wait to see news about federal funding to sign up!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jan 11, 2007 7:52 pm 
I didn't see any scheduling for Mt. Rainier. I'd be interested in it as the south part is close to here. I've only done unofficial volunteer trail work on our community's nature trail..weedwhacking in the summer and cutting it open in the winter. I use power tools though. But, I am equally skiiled in pulaski and shovel use. It'll probably be Carhartt time by then. Does WTA hand out good cookies? I also do work for hotdogs. dizzy.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Jan 11, 2007 7:59 pm 
They're on a front-country schedule; local fare. Backcountry trips begin in April in Chelan area, and as the melts continue, the trips expand. Sometimes if the melt gets stuck, or there are other issues they have to re-locate trips (my first one was supposed to be at Ross NRA, but was switched to MRNP for administrative reasons). There will be plenty of opps to help out MRNP and other areas affected. But it's winter right now. THey pass out good cookies; weekend trips are pot-lucks; WTA supplies the burgers, volunteers supply other stuff. Weeklongs - WTA supplies all the grub (there's a fee for weeklongs, not daytrips or weekend trips).