Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lanham Lake (again), 1.7.2006
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSun Jan 07, 2007 7:57 pm 
With a rotten forecast and terrible avalanche conditions nearly everyone else dropped off the trip, but two of us were feeling crazy enough to head out somewhere. Finding out where was the hard part. We didn't feel safe heading somewhere we hadn't been this time, so it was off to Lanham lake. Driving over Stevens wasn't as bad as I expected. There was alot of fresh snow up there, and quite a few people pointed off into snowbanks not heeding the warning to put on their chains. We made it over easily enough and down to the Nordic Center, where the snow was falling in huge glops instead of nice fluffy flakes. You could hear it impact on the cars. The entire parking area was a sea of slush. Ick. We started up the trail in this dreck hoping to get into real snow. There was a faint trail that helped greatly with floatation, but the snow was so wet and heavy we didn't sink too terribly much off trail. I'd brought my 30" boat snowshoes, turns out I didn't need them. We made good time up to the lake, walking slow and keeping an eye out for sketchy slopes. Near the lake we ran into a couple heading down who had spent the night at the lake! Initially I thought the girl was Silly_Traveler, but nope, just her doppleganger. At the lake it was ridiculously windy and our faces went numb quickly. We found a sheltered spot for a quick lunch, then got out of dodge as the heavy wet glop on the trees started bombing all around us. By the time we got back to the car I was pretty soaked from the wet snow. We cranked up the heaters, and headed over to Monroe for Thai food. Going over Stevens we saw a pretty large avalanche down over the eastbound lanes slowing things. So much new snow up there in the last few days, it's amazing! Once conditions stabilize a bit it should be fabulous up there.
Lanham Lake trip photos

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostSun Jan 07, 2007 8:02 pm 
lol.gif Why did you think it was silly_traveler? rolleyes.gif up.gif Opus! You went snowshoeing again without me? huh.gif bawl.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Jan 07, 2007 10:13 pm 
Did you skip on the trail, or merely hover in place?

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSun Jan 07, 2007 10:33 pm 
Hey, she looked like you from that other thread Silly! We weren't even sure where if anywhere we'd end up this weekend because of the avalanche conditions this time. We figured we were snowshoeing, not walking, on the trail so I think we got off with a technicality on that rule.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun Jan 07, 2007 10:37 pm 
Hey Opus, How's the Thai place in Monroe? I've always wanted to stop there, but never really had the chance...

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSun Jan 07, 2007 10:49 pm 
I've been there twice now, it's very good. Nice decor too. The food could be spicier but they've got a very big menu. Until last weekend I didn't know Monroe even had a Thai place!

trailbug

trailbug
PostTue Jan 09, 2007 11:55 pm 
Hey Opus, that was me that you saw up there! winksmile.gif I saw silly_traveller's mug on the pic thread, and we do look pretty similar at first glance. We even both have blue jackets! FUNNY! clown.gif
I posted my TR on my blog. We also ate in Monroe afterwards ... We weren't so adventurous with the cusine though. We headed to the local Red Robin and downed some burgers. lol.gif