Forum Index > Trip Reports > cone bombs
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
strider

strider
PostWed Mar 07, 2007 6:43 pm 
The talk about snow bombs in the Wallace Falls TR thread got me to remembering / musing ..... Anyone else ever suffered under spruce cone bombs? On a trip up to the Brothers, we camped up-valley from the usual jump-off camp because the jump-off area was packed over-full. We went uphill for about 45 minutes, then off route into the woods, and did a virgin camp. Beautiful spruce grove next to a pretty meadow that afforded a great view of the hill. This was in early September, probably in the mid-1980's sometime.... The tree rats were harvesting cones. They were cutting them loose from the trees. The cones made no noise while enroute because the first branches on the trees had to be 100+ feet up. We're talking big sticks. The first notice of an incoming round was the loud THUMP when the cone hit the forest floor. They hit so hard, some of them were bouncing three or four feet into the air. The barrage began about 6PM and lasted into dusk. The first few THUMPS, we were looking around for the bouncing deer - no deer. Looking for the bear that had stripped some of the local tree bark - no bear. Then a bouncer happened about 10 feet from my tent and we figured out what was happening. We beat feet out into the meadow. The rats must have dropped 100 cones in about two hours before the pace of the incoming rounds lessened. After the barrage settled down, we returned to camp and found 8 or 10 cones in our camp area. A direct hit on a cook pot put a dent in the lid. The larger cones were 8" or 9" long, probably weighed one pound or more, were green and full of pitch, and hard as rocks. Not a good thing to take onna noggin at the business end of a 100+ foot drop. Anyone else ever have critters toss things at ya?

strider I've never been lost, but I'm frequently uncertain where my destination might be in relation to where I am at the moment....
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostWed Mar 07, 2007 7:36 pm 
Those things are big and hefty! Earlier related discussion I've seen them on the ground and marveled at their potential for doing damage. Never had the pleasure of being caught up in the middle of a harvest though.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Damian

Damian
PostWed Mar 07, 2007 8:12 pm 
I dang near got whacked by one once. Pretty scary. Terminal velocity for one those missles is about 90 mph.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Mar 07, 2007 9:56 pm 
yeah, got smacked by one once. Damn. I thought it was a rock come hurtling offa cliff. Yet another reason I was glad to have had a hardhat on. Those things are sticky as hell, too.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting