Forum Index > Trip Reports > Jolly Mountain 3/10/07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
summitseeker

summitseeker
PostSun Mar 11, 2007 7:05 pm 
Jane, Bongi and I had a another killer fun outing. Weather was great until the the descent. Great company, tons of snow, lots of trail breaking, and a mexican feast to wrap it all up. Trip report is here. --Scott

"Find out who you are and then do it on purpose." www.summitroutes.com : Guidebook to the 100 highest peaks in Washington
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Mar 11, 2007 7:47 pm 
You mention a washout at 970 a half mile before Salmon la Sac? confused.gif Clarify pleeze? 4500 in 13 miles in snow: up.gif . That would kill me.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
TrailPair

TrailPair
PostSun Mar 11, 2007 7:53 pm 
Good job! That is a lot of miles and elevation gain! How are those slopes for avalanche danger? up.gif

This thing called work is interfering with my play
summitseeker

summitseeker
PostSun Mar 11, 2007 8:09 pm 
Quark wrote:
You mention a washout at 970 a half mile before Salmon la Sac? confused.gif Clarify pleeze?
Sorry Quark, my mistake, I meant highway SR 903, not SR 970. It's the road that runs through Roslyn, Ronald, Salmon La Sac, and then heads way into the wilderness to provide access to Daniel/Hinman/etc. It is closed to cars at a washout about a half mile *before* Salmon La Sac. The Cle Elum River went over its banks in the November floods and undercut the roadbed. It's down to 1 lane and accessible only to snowmobiles. I'm not sure what the repair plans are for this summer. Thanks for the thumbs-up guys, I appreciate it. smile.gif For avalanches, the slopes were fine when we went through, but the hazard is likely elevated due to all this precipitation. The only slopes that would provide much hazard are as you climb the clearcut slopes to the road at 4,000 ft, and the headwall to the ridge crest. The latter isn't much though, as one can pretty much stick to the trees. --Scott

"Find out who you are and then do it on purpose." www.summitroutes.com : Guidebook to the 100 highest peaks in Washington
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Mar 11, 2007 8:13 pm 
OK; I figured that's prolly what you meant. Bummer. I didn't know that was washed out.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Nuhights

Nuhights
PostMon Mar 12, 2007 8:53 pm 
Another great Winter Scramble!!!! Highly recommended to those that want to see a different perspective of these hills in their pristine Winter coat. I know it may seem like alot of work, but by doing outings such as this, will make you that much more prepared for the Summer hikes and Alpine season around the corner. Plus you don't have to worry about the crowds!!!!! smile.gif

Aligeo

Aligeo
PostTue Mar 13, 2007 2:06 pm 
Awesome trip you guys! up.gif Jolly is on our to do list. Maybe next year!

And the end of all our searching shall be to return to the place where we started and know it for the first time. - T.S. Eliot
summitseeker

summitseeker
PostWed Mar 14, 2007 9:47 am 
Thanks Aligeo. It's a good one. Still 3+ ft of snow at Cayuse Horse Camp so the 'shoe will be in shape for a fair bit yet. You can still tick it off this year. smile.gif