Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > I publicly pledge to not be a climate hypocrite
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 21, 2007 11:53 pm 
Gore's refusal got me thinking. I cannot, will not, and would not require anyone to pledge something. However, I can self define using the principles of open declaration...and those who don't will necessarily, objectively,and provably be on the other side of a divide in ideas which they cannot uncreate, because I cannot be required to stand with them, nor they with me. This is open and free choice of association...with rational, objective, ideological consequences. After all by my actions and those who may follow, create an objectively definable divide by choosing to stand on a point. When others don't...they don't. And there is the difference to be discussed. ****************************************************** I pledge to not be a climate hypocrite. I pledge to act in word and deed in accordance with my position on global warming and the necessary social action and changes I support imposing on anyone will be lived and followed by my own free will. I will live my stated beliefs today, now and forever, effective immediately. I proudly, clearly, explicitly, and without reservation pledge belief in the ideas and arguments I espouse. I agree to openly and clearly be known as a 'believer' in these beliefs. I hereby give my public, free, and express consent to excoriation over failure to live up to this pledge, and further pledge no action or rancor over anyone correctly pointing out my failures during debates or discussions. I will not consider it a personal attack, I will consider it fact. I will pursue no action on use of this fact here on this board, and freely give full permission for use of these comments. No comments on my climate hypocrasy should be considered personal attacks on me by the moderators or readers. Human life is far too important for me to argue something be imposed on others I am not willing to engage in immediately for the good of the human race. After all, since my beliefs are intended to better the human condition, and each person matters, surely it is better to begin soonest, with myself. Otherwise I would be engaging in continuing action I know is wrong, even after I realize it is wrong, and argue that it is wrong. Is it morally defensible to continue doing what you know to be wrong? I pledge to apply the same standard to every human being identical to myself and my climate actions and those I espouse. I freely and happily undertake this pledge, because I am not afraid of declaring allegiance to ideas I espouse...I intend to live them no matter who else does, because I am responsible for me. I have no need to not live this pledge publicly, because I intend to live what I say and say what I live proudly and openly. I will not need to make excuses why this isn't happening. I intend to show my arguments are rational and honest, and prove it by living them rationally and honestly. Without having to explain how it is rational and honest....to not follow exactly what I espouse. Anyone else in?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Prince of Happiness
Fly in the ointment

Prince of Happiness
Fly in the ointment
PostThu Mar 22, 2007 10:49 am 
Hell, that's what I was hoping people would do, take responsibility for their own actions. That and the U.S. take the lead in developing "climate friendly" technologies and processes, patent them, sell them overseas and create jobs here. But I guess everyone's still arguing about all the other stuff. :|

The Prince of Happiness "A man who does not care about the beer he drinks , may as well not care about the bread he eats." - M. Jackson, Beerhunter as seen by my friend Anita on a sign in Helsinki
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostThu Mar 22, 2007 11:22 am 
MtnGoat, There are times when joint action is needed. While I agree with your list, how would it apply to, say, war? The ones that agree that there is a threat go fight? The rest stay home? The difference here is that one uses science or uses hopes and wishes. This situation is one in which the threat isn't visible to the eye and so, unfortunately, is denied to exist by some. Gore refused because that "pledge" was a bit of political theater that attempted to drag the focus from the issue. Since when did shooting the messenger become a valid way to address the message? edit: Watching the Republican responses (on C-Span. Gore in front of the committee), I was surprised by the almost religious nature of the opposition. Very little address as to the science but what seemed to me to be a visceral attack. What about the guy who brought up the poor girl with the two coats who suffered because the heating bill was too high? It had me shaking my head.

don't believe everything you think
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Mar 22, 2007 11:35 am 
Classic ad hom attack rolleyes.gif shakehead.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostThu Mar 22, 2007 7:33 pm 
RayD, if anything the Republicans are on the side of science. The ~1,500 year climate cycle has been verified through independent research of ice cores in Greenland and Antarctica, through sediment layers found on the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean and European Lakes, through algae levels that bloomed off the west coast of Africa, and through additional verification of historic sun activity and earth's corresponding orbital oscillations. The Human-induced warming followers have yet to explain why the greatest amount of warming in the last 150 years has been between 1920 and 1940 even though CO2 emissions have increased greatly since then. And sadly, Gore's response was anything but scientific.

Footprints on the sands of time will never be made sitting down.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Mar 22, 2007 7:40 pm 
I'm with Mal on this one. This lind of thing was definitely not what I had in mind when I suggested that a Stewardship forum be created. Let's hope the thread gets nuked in the bud.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Mar 22, 2007 7:43 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Classic ad hom attack rolleyes.gif shakehead.gif
Really? "Classic" Where is it? Facts are not attacks. If they are uncomfortable facts, that is the problem of those engaging...or not, in this case, in them. Is factually pointing out someone is a thief...an attack? Not complimentary no. But that's the nature of recognizing fact...sometimes it's not pretty. This IS about stewardship at it's most basic. It's about living what you claim to believe...without waiting to be able to compel others to do what you won't even do on your own. Otherwise, you wind up arguing what you know is wrong to do, is ok to keep on doing...and that this is acceptable and moral. I'll repeat, we are told the climate of the earth, human existence and civilization is facing the biggest threat in all time and all history. Those who disagree are denigrated, name called, told we are greedy, or stupid, or evil, or all three, in many combinations. Yet in spite of our dreadful state of risk, it's OK to hop on that plane so your personal vacation plans aren't impacted? To eat a strawberry from 1000 miles away? How can it be so important for all mankind and the planet that even disagreement is treated as heretical...and yet ones selfish desires are acceptable?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Mar 22, 2007 7:48 pm 
marylou wrote:
I'm with Mal on this one. This lind of thing was definitely not what I had in mind when I suggested that a Stewardship forum be created. Let's hope the thread gets nuked in the bud.
There is no reason to nuke this thread. Public figures are not covered by forum rules, and what I did was not an ad hominim attack in the first place. I've attacked no one save stating the facts concerning a public figure. I've made open, public, calm, rational arguments as I see them. I've pledged to allow myself to be judged by all in my service to the ideas I espouse, because I have nothing to hide and no hypocrasy to defend. I am openly declaring my allegiance to the principles I argue for, in a stewardship matter that I am told concerns the fate of all of humanity in it's most dire hour. Is that a problem? Why not do the same?

PostThu Mar 22, 2007 7:50 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Where is it? Facts
Got a problem with these facts? Fox News' Garrett and others mischaracterized or omitted Gore's response to Inhofe on his energy use During a report on Al Gore's testimony before the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, Fox News' Major Garrett reported that, in response to Sen. James Inhofe's question, "Are you ready to change the way you live?" a reference to Gore's documentary, Gore replied that "he didn't have to because he purchases a variety of environmental credits." In fact, Gore indicated in his response that he had changed his lifestyle and is continuing to do so.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Mar 22, 2007 7:50 pm 
This is not the time or place for yet more name-calling. Just. No. down.gif

whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource

whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource
PostThu Mar 22, 2007 7:51 pm 
If an argument is about whether someone is a hypocrite, how is it and ad hom attack to show someone is a hypocrite? Anyway...I'm not in. I don't usually tell people how to use energy unless it comes down to my $. EG: does the heat need to be on AND the window open?

RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostThu Mar 22, 2007 7:52 pm 
Quote:
RayD, if anything the Republicans are on the side of science.
Singer and Avery started the 1500 year cycle idea in their book. The book was based entirely on the data of others. Allegre, also used in the committee hearing, hasn't done any work in the field for some 20 years. The thing about predictions for global cooling back in the 70s. Wrong then , wrong now was the point. A point that makes no sense. I don't think I need to explain why, yet this obvious error in logic was used. I differ that the Republicans on the committee were on the side of science.

don't believe everything you think
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Mar 22, 2007 7:55 pm 
rat wrote:
MtnGoat wrote:
Where is it? Facts
Got a problem with these facts? Fox News' Garrett and others mischaracterized or omitted Gore's response to Inhofe on his energy use During a report on Al Gore's testimony before the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, Fox News' Major Garrett reported that, in response to Sen. James Inhofe's question, "Are you ready to change the way you live?" a reference to Gore's documentary, Gore replied that "he didn't have to because he purchases a variety of environmental credits." In fact, Gore indicated in his response that he had changed his lifestyle and is continuing to do so.
Why, yes, I do. They sidestep the reality of Gores energy use and it's impact. Solar panels and windmills also create greenhouse gases to produce them. If Gore's huge home didn't use so much energy, the resources in the system providing his energy would not be needed. if i raised my energy usage, somewhere additional load capacity will be added, in the form of infrastructure and hardware, because of my actions, and those of others Like it or not, Gore never will live like the everyday people he wants to change, and the changes will hit us much, much harder than they hit him. When fuel prices rise, it smacks my budget hard. What does that do to him? He's treated like royalty, and has his followers *defending* his energy use while attacking far less use by every day people called every name in the book for daring to drive a big car.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Mar 22, 2007 7:57 pm 
marylou wrote:
This is not the time or place for yet more name-calling. Just. No. down.gif
Will you be satisfied if I coin an acronym? Those who say one thing and do another, perhaps, in caps? TWSOTADA? our disagreement here is that I am openly calling a spade a spade and refusing to be cowed from discussing this issue. I will use any word you like which woulld prevent me from 'name calling' and I will continue to make the same points even without it, because the problem i am addressing is not tied to a word, it is tied to ideas and actions and they can be described in many ways, all of which come back to the same point not living what you preach. is pointing this out name calling? not by any definition i know of. let's discuss it. but lets not pretend it does not occur and that it is not what it is...and that people are not avoiding discussing it

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Mar 22, 2007 8:03 pm 
This thread sucks.