Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > volunteers for Kelly Butte
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostThu Apr 19, 2007 10:47 am 
I decided a new thread was in order as a new roof for Kelly was completed in 2006...( thanks again Bryan and all of you who assisted with the material lift....) I met with the Forest Service last week and gave them $ estimates for materials and processes.....they asked me for a list of volunteers with name, address and phone numbers. They need this so they can cover the volunteers with industrial insurance in case of an accident ( which we'll do our best to prevent....) So, if you're interested in possibly working on the lookout in July, August, September or October, you'll need to PM me with your information. This does not constitute a commitment to work at this point, but if you think you might....sign up with me. There will be a helicopter lift in July or August to lift the materials up there....we intend to rebuild the shutters and fly them up as they are the first priority. The materials for the deck replacement will also go up with the helicopter lifts and the window frames will come down to be rebuilt/refurbished over the winter of 2007/8. At any rate....volunteers would be most appreciated. It is a worthy project and any help would be most welcome. See you on the lookout!!! up.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostThu Apr 19, 2007 12:49 pm 
I spent six weekends with Bob at the lookout last summer/fall and I had a great time. The views were spectacular!!! Nothing like spending the night under the stars up there and waking up with Rainier practically in my face!! It was a great experience last season and I plan on spending some time up there this summer as my new work schedule allows. I encourage otheres to help out at this great lookout. Help save a piece of our state's history for many to enjoy.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Apr 19, 2007 8:32 pm 
I could have sworn I saw trail work parties for KB on the WTA site. Now alls I sees is Greenwater trail. Hallucinations or corrected information? Who knows, but I salute you, Bob, for continuing your hearty volunteer efforts. up.gif

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Apr 20, 2007 3:41 am 
The beginning "trail" to KB lookout is a Really Steep Washout with a rope to pull yourself up about 175 ft.. A new trail could be built around the West side of the Butte to tie into the old trail to Lester, and on up to the lookout. A new trail would make Kelly Butte lookout a wonderful family destination. up.gif

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostFri Apr 20, 2007 6:55 am 
thanks Magellan for your good thoughts. Snowbrushy....the FS intends to do a reroute....they think they can go east of the gully and hook up with the existing trail.....WTA is indeed in on the action....they've said they'll fix up the trail or help reroute as necessary.....it'll be a fun project.....

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Apr 23, 2007 3:18 pm 
you got a pm from me. Anyway to know about one week in advance when you have a work party or will it just be that I just show up and do the work that is required?

Art is an adventure.
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostTue Apr 24, 2007 7:08 am 
Stefan....I'll be setting up an e mail group and phone list to let folks know about when work parties will happen. I'll try to announce it here too in case anyone else is willing. Thanks for stepping forward....volunteers rock and are awesome!!!! It's a worthy project. smile.gif smile.gif cool.gif up.gif up.gif