Forum Index > Trip Reports > Peggys Pond
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Reuben

Reuben
PostThu Jun 26, 2003 3:58 pm 
Peggys pond There were only three cars at the parking lot. The mosquitoes are out in force, it only gets worse as you gain altitude. The trail is open with only a few snow patches until Squaw Lake. As you Gain altitude along the ridge the snow will completely cover the trail leaving only cathedral Rock as your path. The trail around Cathedral rock is mostly just a goat trail but is actually better this year then most. There is only one snow slide to cross with potential to end your life. Peggys Pond is frozen as expected but the views are wonderful.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Reuben

Reuben
PostThu Jun 26, 2003 4:04 pm 
photo
I was unable to attach it. huh.gif

Captain Trips

Captain Trips
PostThu Jun 26, 2003 5:18 pm 
Reuben, Thanks for the current report on Peggys's Pond. I always seem to underestimate snow levels this time of year so it is helpful to get up to date info such as yours. I would be doing the trip solo - perhaps it would be best to wait a couple of weeks. Thanks again, DR

Reuben

Reuben
PostThu Jun 26, 2003 5:42 pm 
Last one
As my privileges to attach photos were removed it’s my last one. Sorry it’s just like WTA now.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jun 26, 2003 6:47 pm 
Hey Reuben, sorry about that. I did a quick check and it looks like we just exceeded 100 MB of attachments (the attachment storage limit the forum was set up for). I've upped the attachment quota to 200 MB. I'm not sure what kind of error message you got but it was nothing directed at you. hockeygrin.gif MCaver, let me know if 200 MB will be a problem. Otherwise I'll start pruning old attachments.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostThu Jun 26, 2003 6:54 pm 
200Mb is fine. smile.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jun 26, 2003 7:47 pm 
Come on Reuben, let's see them pics man! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Jun 26, 2003 9:55 pm 
Yep...I'm dying for some good shots of the Pond and the south side of Daniels. Share, share!

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Reuben

Reuben
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 8:00 am 
photo
Here is a 6am shot from the south side of the pond.
peggy640
peggy640

El Puma

El Puma
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 11:06 am 
Beautiful picture! Makes the ascent a lot easier if you can complete part of it on snow. We camped there last August and I made a quick early-morning dash up to Daniels' E-summit. The long snow-traverse from the ridge to below the summit was a bit dicey in places, considering the runout of a possible slippage. Did have a perfect day though! I know you guys are probably looking for current-condition pix; here's one from that trip though if you want it for geographical purposes. I climbed up the ridge immediately W of Peggy's Pond (pretty much a standard climbers path), crossed onto the snow and paralleled the left skyline ridge right at the top of the visible rockslide-path. A cool scramble up the E-(left)-summit with gorgeous views! Main summit is on the right and requires talus (in Aug.) descent and re-ascent. Then descended the front ridge, which is the same one visible in Reubens picture. 2.5hrs up, 2hrs down, pretty easy going hike, axe strongly recommended for the snow traverse. The summit looks like it would take about an extra hour to reach and same to return.
Breakfast View
Breakfast View
Ascent Route (L-Ridge), Descent Route (Facing)
Ascent Route (L-Ridge), Descent Route (Facing)

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 11:18 am 
That is a great pic EP. I havent seen those lakes from the back side like that! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
JimK

JimK
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 12:20 pm 
Fantastic place for a weekend. I was also up on Daniel last August. I rated it as the best trip I did last year.

Captain Trips

Captain Trips
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 4:22 pm 
Reuben, Thanks for the great picture, El Puma too ! I deleted my original post just because I realized your earlier pictures showed current conditions of Cathedral that were right next to Peggy's Pond. Nevertheless you came through again with the exact picture I inquired about, good show ! I'm torn between Daniels or Chiwaukum lake and a summit of Big Chiwaukum. Snow is a minor issue only because I'm going solo though Chiwaukum will have snow issues too. Maybe someone else would want to peak out on Daniels in two weeks ? DR

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 4:39 pm 
DROCK wrote:
Maybe someone else would want to peak out on Daniels in two weeks?
Let me know when you go. I've had it on my list for a while.

Captain Trips

Captain Trips
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 4:52 pm 
Tom, I certainly will drop a line when I coordinate with the family for the best weekend. El Puma is on the mark when he recomends a snow ascent for the upper portion of Daniel and with this weather, the window might be in one to three weeks. A mid-week wouldn't be out of the question either. I looked at the Chiwaukum lake info on Wenatchee NP site and the trail has been logged, odd term , up to 1/2 mile of the lake and the lake is frozen. It might be difficult to make the trek up to Larch Lake. DR