Forum Index > Trail Talk > Water Taxi (Ross Lake)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hikerjo

hikerjo
PostTue Jul 01, 2003 9:28 am 
Has anyone here ever done a water taxi in Ross Lake? Now how does that work? It looks kind of cool. Im trying to plan my summer. wink.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Bob

Hiker Bob
PostTue Jul 01, 2003 10:57 am 
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostTue Jul 01, 2003 1:27 pm 
to get to ross dam, there are 2 choices: -drive to diablo and take the diablo water taxi to the base of ross dam, then ride a truck to the top of the dam. -drive to thunder arm trailhead and hike in to ross lake resort. either way, call ross lake resort before you get there so they know you're coming, they'll let you know when the boat will be at the resort. when the boat drops you off at your trailhead, they'll ask you when you want to be picked back up. if you miss the return boat or want an early pickup just wait at the dock and the boat will see you and make a stop. that's how the taxi woked in 1985 when we did the beaver loop, up the little beaver and down the big beaver.

Mal Con

Mal Con
PostTue Jul 01, 2003 1:42 pm 
You can always do a Viking assualt from Hozomeen after the 20mi. Road drive from Hope B.C. Nice trip to do Desolation etc. just don't get mistaken for a bud smuggler.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Jul 01, 2003 3:22 pm 
I used the water taxi service back in Aug. '98, catching it near the dam after hiking a short trail down from a Hwy 20 parking lot. Took me to Lightning Creek camp, where I spent the nite and hiked up the fairly close Desolation Peak trail the next morning. Great trip! Cost something like $40/each way back then to Lightning Creek, and unfortunately I was the only fare that morning so I couldn't split it with others. On the return trip I at least could split the cost with another hiker. I went mid-week and there was only one other party staying at Lightning Creek, and very few others on the Desolation Pk. trail. It can be a very hot climb- hardly any shade, and quite steep but fantastic views! No water to speak of by summer on that trail. The water taxi was a fast aluminum runabout and the trip alone up the lake is worth the cost for the beauty. When I went I called the Ross Lake Resort and prearranged a pickup time at the landing on the near side of the dam by Hwy 20. They had a phone on a pole at the landing that you called them from when you arrived and then a boat was sent out from the resort on the far side of the dam. Maybe the procedure has changed a bit since then, but my experience was a good one and I really enjoyed the boat trip, that was a treat. I loved the views from my waterfront campsite at Lightning Creek camp, and the lake was refreshingly brisk to plunge into after my hike. They have bear-proof storage lockers I believe at the camp. I lucked out with perfect, calm weather & the bugs weren't too bad. Pic #1- Lightning Creek camp, looking south #2 Desolation Pk. (6102') from water taxi as I was leaving #3 Looking north-Desolation Pk. lookout, Mt. Hozomeen (8068') in background

hikerjo

hikerjo
PostTue Jul 01, 2003 7:30 pm 
Moose and Squirrel, Thank you very much. Lightning Creek Camp is also where I want to be droped off and I am think about spending 4 days in hiking around in there. The reason why I am considering this water taxi is it will save a day of driving up to Hope, Candada then back down to Hozomeen. Plus, I dont need to worry about being mistaken for a "bud smuggler." lol.gif It deffinately sounds like the way to go! Again, thanks a lot!

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Jul 01, 2003 7:54 pm 
You bet Craig, hope you can make it up there this summer. I opted for the taxi due to only having 3 days to do my goal, Desolation Pk.- kinda thought hoofing the 20 miles from the dam to Desolation lookout and back in 3 days was a bit of a stretch...I'm sure it's a cool trail running along the eastern lakeshore, but. smile.gif