Forum Index > Trail Talk > Survival kit
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
paul

paul
PostFri Jul 18, 2003 9:44 am 
I haven't seen a thread here about survival kits, so I'll start one. Do you carry one? Where and how? What is in it? Have you ever had to use it? Do cuss. Be specious. Thanks, Paul.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Jul 18, 2003 9:47 am 
My survival kit = Duct tape.

Art is an adventure.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Jul 18, 2003 10:08 am 
My buddies got these for Christmas from me this past year..lemmee see if I can remember what I put in theirs... Tent pole repair sleeve very thin wire tiny package of Hot Bond duct tape tin foil tape dental floss needle diaper pin zip ties scotch brite pad sandpaper alcohol wipes I wrote a piece on field repair for the magazine that ran in about June of 2001, don't know if the website's got that stuff archived any more or not. There was some stuff in there about making a repair kit. It's so cool when I go out hiking with my buddies and they whip out the kit I made for them. For sure one of the best xmas gift ideas I ever had!!

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jul 18, 2003 10:09 am 
Alright, alright. Im a light freak, but I carry more than necessary. I mean come on, I carry a (heavy to Dante) gun dont I! All the stuff yous all are talking about plus extras. i carry 800mg advil tabs and I take one at night. Helps me sleep muscle ache free, and I think aids in recovery for my push the next day. A zipka, extra lithium batteries for my Sure Fire LED lite. Cyanide tablets incase I break both legs and both arms and am in terrible A-GO-KNEE! Makes for less mess for the poor bastards who ultimately find me than shooting myself! eek.gif etc etc etc. TB winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dante

Dante
PostFri Jul 18, 2003 10:13 am 
If you go light, your whole pack essentially becomes a big survival kit. I'm only being slightly facetious. I have a "Mr. T Survival Necklace" that consists of the following: * Victorinox Outrider Swiss Army Knife in a Kydex neck sheath * ARC AAA Flashlight in a Kydex Holder * Suunto clip-on compass * Mini-Bic lighter * Whistle I always carry the following in my waist pack: * Platypus and filter * First aid stuff * Repair stuff (duct tape, barge cement, stainless lock wire, sewing kit, etc.) * 100' Kelty Triptease * 6 tent stakes * SilNylon poncho * Windshirt * Food * The rest of the "10 Essentials" The idea is to have water, food and shelter if I have to spend the night away from camp.

paul

paul
PostFri Jul 18, 2003 11:39 am 
Finally getting around to answering my own questions... I carry one in my pocket. Contains a space-type emergency blanket, hand warmers, mini lighter, firestarters (the old cotton balls and vasaline), in a plastic bag. (can be used for water). I also always have in my pocket a lanyard with my swiss army knife, a photon flashlight and a whistle. I may wander around without my pack, but my kit stays with me in my pocket at all times. I figure I can stay warm and dryish until help arrives. Never had to use it.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Jul 18, 2003 11:49 am 
I carry the following on every hike I do, regardless of length or weather: * standard hiker's first aid kit * headlamp & batteries * waterproof matches & candle * Green Trails map and compass * toiletry kit (tp and trowel) * swiss army knife In cooler weather I also carry a fleece pullover and possibly rain gear. And of course, I always carry my camera bag and tripod. biggrin.gif

polarbear

polarbear
PostFri Jul 18, 2003 9:22 pm 
I try and carry the 10 essentials. I used to have this survival kit that I made at Camp Waskowitz in 6th grade. It was a 35mm film canister with: matches coated in wax a few shreds of newspaper for tinder fish line and hook boullion cube bandaid foil (for a reflector) There may have been some other stuff too.

Hiker Chick

Hiker Chick
PostFri Jul 18, 2003 9:30 pm 
Oo, oo polarbear!! I have one of those too!! I LOVED camp Waskowitz!! (So much, I went back as a counselor when I was in high school!!! up.gif ) I'm with Stefan. I could not survive without duct tape. It is one of my best friends!! I always carry a space blanket, lighter, first aid kit, H2O purification tablets, whistle, compass and a knife.

If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in the dark with a mosquito. Silence is golden and duct tape is silver. I don't write trip reports.
Festus D. Minor

Festus D. Minor
PostFri Jul 18, 2003 11:16 pm 
  • My "piece" in case I get attacked by government agents
  • Hardtack
  • Bacon
  • Coffee
  • Blank mining claim form
  • Fishin' hook
  • Chew
  • Feb 1981 P'boy centerfold, encased in plastic
  • Half pack of Marlboros
  • Pager that my broker calls in case of stock market crash
  • Starbucks prepaid card

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSat Jul 19, 2003 10:47 am 
Yes, I misunderstood the question. Survival stuff would depend entirely on circumstance.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Jul 19, 2003 7:06 pm 
I don't recall ever wanting to duct tape anything on a hike lol.gif . I bring a blue closed-cell foam pad, a cheapo Fred Meyer poncho, extra food, extra water if I can make the dog carry it, or my filter if not, warm clothes for my usual 3+ hour stay at the destination which also has emergency uses, and sundry other items like a Zipka light or first-aid materials. These thing would allow me to suvive a night out in relative comfort and safety, secure in the knowledge that Tanja knows exactly where I was headed and rescue would commence first thing in the morning. My worst fear is being injured on the first few days of a multi-day solo trip, since I try to go where everyone else isn't. However, if it be my destiny to die in the woods, then I guess that's a better way than most folks get to go.

WrongBridge

WrongBridge
PostSun Jul 20, 2003 8:25 pm 
morphine dizzy.gif

Too much of a good thing is wonderful (May West)
Hiker Chick

Hiker Chick
PostSun Jul 20, 2003 9:39 pm 
WB.. never thought of that!! lol.gif I forgot the one thing I always take.. some good Irish Whiskey! biggrin.gif

If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in the dark with a mosquito. Silence is golden and duct tape is silver. I don't write trip reports.
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSun Jul 20, 2003 10:40 pm 
duct tape, a poncho, and some good single malt scotch. Whiskey is good if you can't afford scotch at the time. I figure if I can't rig a decent shelter out of the duct tape and poncho, after drinking the scotch I won't care so much.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic