Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Trip reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Larry

Larry
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 4:24 pm 
Mr. Newbie Newt wrote: We all add to the impact. We should all be responsible in how we use it and how we talk about it. I believe in poster discretion and really don't feel that we need TR police. As usual, I took way too many words in my posts to basically say what you said, Newbie. You said it well! cool.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 4:41 pm 
Larry wrote:
Mr. Newbie Newt wrote: As usual, I took way too many words in my posts to basically say what you said, Newbie. You said it well! cool.gif
Don't feel bad. So did I. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.

PostSun Jul 27, 2003 7:48 pm 
Quote:
wether or not you consider it a "guilt trip" is up to you, all I'm doing is pointing out is anyones responsibility for what they choose to do. You have no control over what someone else does. You *do* control what you do.
tell me you didn't intend comments like this to be a guilt trip?
Quote:
you go right ahead and write all the reports you want, and don't let any pair of feet you generate from them, bother you one bit. It would bother me, but that's just me.
Quote:
You have no control over what someone else does. You *do* control what you do
you are correct. as soon as I got to Chikamin, I put on my thongs.
Quote:
Yes, it's 2003 all right, and if you're not taking into account the fact that using a search engine can turn up info when you post it, it seems to me you're not taking into account the effects of ones choices. So there were two previous reports. Now there are three. Are you telling me because you added one, there are not two instead of three? That if someone else does something, and you do it too, you didn't do it?
what is with the fuzzy math? I clearly said my post came up 3rd. Where do you get off distorting things like that. All I ever said was no one is ever going to follow my TR to Chikamin when there is one available that gives distances down to the tenth of a mile! someone may see my TR and want to go there. Someone may go off trail at any given number of well publicized hiking destinations and kill vegatation with their feet. It happens.
Quote:
I can think of three different, relatively unknown places right off the cuff that have seen increased impacts in the last two years due to this site alone.
yep, I went to one of those type of places last fall. No guidebook instructions, no Internet trip report prompted me to go. The place kept coming up in the "secrecy" threads, so I was too intrigued not to go there at least once.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 8:09 pm 
Hey Papster, where did you go last fall? C'mon spill the beans. winksmile.gif I don't remember a trip report other than eruzA. hmmm.gif

paps

paps
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 8:23 pm 
Can't do it. I promised someone on this site. As a matter of fact, I had told my "once a year" hiking friend about the place I went last fall and he asked if we could go there. I said no, that place didn't need my boots more than once. Tom, no one is posting EVERY trip are they? wink.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 8:38 pm 
wooly wrote:
Mtn Goat wrote
Quote:
"I can think of three different, relatively unknown places right off the cuff that have seen increased impacts in the last two years due to this site alone." Was one of these Temple Canyon? Some people were posting information about Temple Canyon in this forum last year.
Matter of fact, NO. I was taken in there by someone who had been there before. I did not post any specifics on that trip here or anywhere else. I have shared beta one on one with other people interested in doing that hike, but to the best of my knowledge, no one has done it based on my info. The TC approach is one of those things that should not be put up in a public forum.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 8:44 pm 
Quote:
Tom, no one is posting EVERY trip are they?
Er, Tom, do you have something to tell us?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 8:49 pm 
I posted a TR for every one of mine angel.gif not that I'm saying anyone else should have.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 8:58 pm 
So how about a MEMBERS only section that requires a password linked to your profile (or something) for access, that would prevent the general public from seeing what you didn't want them to see. Like a trip report area that was confined to people who are registered long time users. Thoughts Tom and Mac. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 9:00 pm 
No.

polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 9:07 pm 
When I was up at Gem Lake on the 4th of July there were only 2 other people there. Of course is was ~`4:00 but sometimes I think our fears are misplaced. My biggest concerns wilderness-wise are 1. Keeping wilderness areas designated as such and perhaps enlargening some to provide buffering 2. Access-- keeping existing roads/trails open 3. How permits are distributed and whether they are warranted 4. Fees

catwoman

catwoman
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 9:43 pm 
What's the point of a TR if the TR doesn't disclose the whereabouts? I, for one, certainly don't read a TR for the pure joy of reading - I don't have time for that - I read them for info. And back to what I said about it being selfish to not share in the beauty and awe of natural wonders -- it IS being selfish because those that don't share seem to think it's ok if THEY visit these "private" places. But they just don't want others there. And no, I'm not buying the excuse of a place being too fragile to leak to the masses. It is just a lame excuse to try to validate someone wanting to keep a place all to themselves.

catwoman

catwoman
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 9:47 pm 
I'm kinda thinking that's not a bad idea what BPJ suggested. Keep the trip reports section viewable only to registered users. It certainly couldn't hurt anything.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 9:47 pm 
Well I don't buy that one, because there are so many places in the Cascades that I rarely repeat...

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 9:59 pm 
The areas where nobody goes also tend to be the areas that end up being unprotected. There are no areas that are easy to get to and unpopulated. Access is a much more important factor than knowledge. Anyone who wants to can find out how to get anywhere. Luna Cirque for example is near pristine in spite of being in every climbing guide known. Hardly anyone goes there because it is a multi day mixed climb to get there.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn