Forum Index > Trail Talk > Tent Repair
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
5 wood

5 wood
PostFri Feb 20, 2004 3:05 pm 
During a winter camping trip my partner burned a hole in the mesh screen of my tent, about 3 inches in diameter. I live up in the Marysville area and was wondering if someone has a home repair or do I need to take it somewhere. And if I need to take it somewhere, do you have any places to suggest?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Duncan

Duncan
PostFri Feb 20, 2004 3:15 pm 
I had the same thing happen to me, but I took the easy way out. I just put some duct tape on both sides of the hole and called it good. It' been there ever since. Mine wasn't that big of a hole, but close.

Wapiti
Hik'abili

Wapiti
Hik'abili
PostFri Feb 20, 2004 3:20 pm 
You folks will get to know me and my frugal ways soon enough, and learn to not listen to any of my gear/repair advice. But since that day isnt' here yet ... wink.gif here's what I do: You can get mesh samples by contacting any mesh dealer found on the internet: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=mosquito+netting+tent Usually they send you them for free. Small 2" x 2" pieces usually. Makes a great self patch. I use rubber cement or shoe goo to past it up around the hole. Keeps it from spreading, but I'll even admit it, its not the pert'iest solution. Works tho... heheh Again, I'm sure you'll get better answers out here, but I hope to think mine are the least expensive and the most McGuiver'esque... grin Mike

Take a kid hiking... It'll make a World of difference! Kittitas County Search & Rescue - Backcountry Ground Team Leader
Wapiti
Hik'abili

Wapiti
Hik'abili
PostFri Feb 20, 2004 3:21 pm 
Duncan wrote:
I had the same thing happen to me, but I took the easy way out. I just put some duct tape on both sides of the hole and called it good...
I have good frugal competition! I like you're style! wink.gif

Take a kid hiking... It'll make a World of difference! Kittitas County Search & Rescue - Backcountry Ground Team Leader
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostFri Feb 20, 2004 3:43 pm 
Ditto, I'd either find a swatch of mesh somewhere & glue or sew it on or the old standby duct tape. No need to get too fancy with this. I made a huge patch with it in the ripped out seat of my nylon rainpants that lasted for YEARS. The eighth wonder of the world. The tape, not my ass.

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostFri Feb 20, 2004 3:53 pm 
I've used the old duct tape patch myself. Cheap, works, lasts for years. I never thought about the mesh samples tho, that would look better.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
packrat

packrat
PostFri Feb 20, 2004 3:54 pm 
the same piece of duct tape has been on my tent mesh for over 4 years now biggrin.gif

Life is short so live it now
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostFri Feb 20, 2004 4:01 pm 
I'd certainly NOT pay someone to repair it if you're looking to go that route. Fix it yourself & no matter how ugly it adds character to the tent. Who polishes off dings on their ice-axe? wink.gif

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostFri Feb 20, 2004 4:08 pm 
A link that may come in handy: http://www.identi-tape.com/duct.html You can get duct tape to match any decor...

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
packrat

packrat
PostFri Feb 20, 2004 4:18 pm 
hey that yellow and black mite match my tent better. Thanks

Life is short so live it now
WrongBridge

WrongBridge
PostFri Feb 20, 2004 4:55 pm 
leave the hole to pee out of in case you don't want to get wet from a rainstorm up.gif

Too much of a good thing is wonderful (May West)
Odonata

Odonata
PostFri Feb 20, 2004 7:19 pm 
My Bibler bivy bag has had duct tape over a mouse hole for 3 or 4 years now. It has been bullet proof cool.gif. I took a small sewing kit with me when I hiked from Stevens to Snoqualmie passes once. A needle, some thread and 3 or 4 small pieces different of fabrics. I myself did not need it. I did sew some things for a couple of through hikers I meet though. They had a mouse hole in one tents netting, and a ripping seam on a hipbelt. It was kind of weird, they acted like I was practicing some sort of dark art by sewing stuff lol.gif Now that I think about it, I could of done the repairs with duct tape too. There is a book, I think its called "sew and repair your outdoor gear". I do not remember if covers this. It may be helpful.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSat Feb 21, 2004 12:39 am 
Man, I would feel sorry for anyone (guys!) who couldn't make a basic sewing stitch! Like to sew on a button or a piece of mesh onto a tent. dizzy.gif But then, I've been in offices where supposedly manly-men cry and whimper for help at the copy machine when they can't figure it out and the female machine-whiz comes to the rescue. Oh how they must loathe us sometimes! shakehead.gif

polarbear

polarbear
PostSat Feb 21, 2004 6:39 pm 
Quote:
Man, I would feel sorry for anyone (guys!) who couldn't make a basic sewing stitch! Like to sew on a button or a piece of mesh onto a tent.
Isn't that what staples are for? embarassedlaugh.gif

5 wood

5 wood
PostMon Feb 23, 2004 2:58 pm 
Thanks for the input. I like the idea to leave it for a pee hole. I think I still have the spare mesh patch that came with the tent when I bought it. I'll just get some glue and mend it. I guess next time I'll just bring a flashlight in the tent. Or not invite my hiking partner.