Forum Index > Trail Talk > lodging in Winthrop or Twisp?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Mar 16, 2004 12:38 pm 
Sun Mountain Lodge. It ain't cheap ($140 a night and up), but they have a HUGE hot pool. Not a hot tub, a hot POOL...in addition to the regular pool. When I stayed there, they had cabins to rent about a mile down the hill from the lodge too (that I recall were cheaper than rooms in the lodge itself), but I don't see them mentioned on the website (sunmountainlodge.com).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Mar 16, 2004 2:35 pm 
If you don't mind staying in Carlton which is just south of Twisp try the Country Town Motel. Every time I drive by I see a pool there. I don't know if they have a hot tub. It looks like a normal place.

Art is an adventure.
oldhikerdad

oldhikerdad
PostTue Mar 16, 2004 2:49 pm 
methow lodging
My son and I stayed at the Mazama Country Inn last summer. I don't think it is nearly as fancy as Sun Mountain.The food in the restaurant is also good and the people who run it are very nice. There is a hot-tub with powerful jets!

5 wood

5 wood
PostMon Mar 22, 2004 3:05 pm 
Just west of Winthrop is the River Run Inn......Highly recommend this place. It has a pool as well as a hot tub. The Inn is right on the river and within walking distance to town. If you like a bed and breakfast, there is a place just south of town called the Farmhouse Inn...very quaint and has a hot tub, again within walking distance to town.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Mar 22, 2004 3:23 pm 
Thanks for the help....though we are back now. Stayed at the Winthrop Inn, it was just fine! Hereis a lil' TR of the weekend's frolics, nothing too hardcore, but a lot of fun.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostWed Mar 24, 2004 2:12 pm 
FWIW I read that trip report and it looked like a lot of fun. Kinda makes me wish I didn't suck so badly skiing...

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Mar 25, 2004 12:48 pm 
I forgot I had a copy of it: Silver Star, sorta, and Mission Peak not at all 3/20-22/2004 We'd hoped to do this thing and that thing this weekend. As it turned out, most all plans went south as the weather did what it does in spring. Plans to climb in the Icicle Friday turned into plans to ski at Stevens instead. Day One: Stevens Freshies We had no trouble hunting down the in-bounds freshies, though there was a bit of ice under the 8 or so inches of fresh and fluffy. We had a pretty good day skiing out run after run in a few choice spots until we'd gobbled all of the good turns we could find. Then it was off to Gustav's for dinner. It was decidedly c-c-cold in 11worth, and we were glad to have not been climbing that day. After dinner we headed over to Wenatchee, where lodging was uncommonly tight. Got a room at the Beast Western, where we were sharing with the Moose Lodge Convention, a bunch of high school basketball teams, and the Ultimate Fighting people. It was a long and noisy night. Those people need to sleep more, and slam doors less. Saturday: Mission Peak? Woke up feeling not-so-refreshed, and headed to Mission Ridge with the intention of riding the lifts to the top and touring away to the north. Can I just say now how much it sucks to have a pack on the lift? Upon reaching the top of the ski hill, we were dismayed to find it mighty wind-scoured and ICY. Really goldarn icy. Oh, and not a lot of snow. Like Mission Ridge is a lot, apparently. So, we headed back down to the car and lost the packs, and proceeded to spend a sunny day going about 600 miles an hour on icy groomed slopes on AT gear. It was exciting, to say the least. The ice would have made me long for the good old days of skiing back East, if in fact I had ever skiied back East. As we were leaving the Mission Parking lot, I commented that my partner had left his apple on the roof of the car. We laughed a lot as the apple rolled around on the roof as we drove back to Wenatchee, and when it stopped, we figured the apple had fallen off. We promptly then forgot about it. Then we made the long journey to Winthrop, still with no firm plans for Sunday. The avy report seemed to make it sound like things had calmed down enough for us to go in the BC, but where? A chat with a couple of nice fallows in the Winthrop Brewery (still great!) got us focused on the Silver Star area. After dinner, we noted that the apple from earlier that day was still on the roof of the car. Nutty. Day Three: Backcountry, finally After a long peaceful evening of relaxing to the sweet burble of Knob Creek, we slept like the dead until.... OH sh##! 8:45. Oops. Still planning to go somewhere by Silver Star, we trundled out to the end of the road and geared up. Everyone there was riding bikes and not skiing. The apple was still on the roof, BTW. We crashed up into the thick trees at around 10:30. My partner reminded me that this was a shakedown trip, as it was only my second time on skins. Good plan, keep expectations low. Snow coverage was thin, and the tree wells were wide. We worked our asses off for two hours before stopping to admire Silver Star.....way....up....the....valley. Fortunately we found a nice little ski hill on the left side of the valley. I thought the snow "looked fine", but my partner dug a little pit and had me stick my paws in it. We were both surprised to find a weak layer in there about a foot down from the top. The weak layer, and the plan, were discussed just long enough for me to get good and worked up about it. Then I went first.....and it was.....SO....much fun! As I waited in the trees for my partner to ski, I realized that I was sort of walking on rocks and stuff. Note to self: okay to walk on rocks in skins, but not okay when skins are not on skis. I was sorry that we then had to get back to the car. The ski/slide/fall down/laugh asses off through the trees was a load of fun and hardly took much time at all. We hiked down the last little bit with our skis on our back. When we arrived at the car, the apple had mysteriously vanished from the roof, but memories of the super great fun weekend we had ought to stay with me for a long time.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Mar 25, 2004 1:18 pm 
I don't think this is a lame report. Those people over at the other site don't know a classy, quality broad if she hawked a loogie right at them.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Mar 25, 2004 3:17 pm 
I like the report! Thanks for posting!

Art is an adventure.
Jill
Got Rock?

Jill
Got Rock?
PostFri Mar 26, 2004 1:22 am 
When in Leavenworth may I suggest the Adenblume B&B on Ranger Road. Great, Great place and you've got to love a place that pins topo maps of the Alpine Lakes Region on the wall. Was there two weeks ago and loved, loved, loved it!

"Security is mostly a superstition. <snip> Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." Helen Keller