Forum Index > Trail Talk > Backcountry fishing license
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostWed Mar 17, 2004 5:26 pm 
How many of you people buy a fishing licence to fish in the backcountry? I won't ask who doesn't.

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostWed Mar 17, 2004 6:05 pm 
I do.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostWed Mar 17, 2004 6:09 pm 
I do. The money goes back to support the fishery.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostWed Mar 17, 2004 6:31 pm 
huh.gif Hmm.... I am a MAJOR big time fisher, and I never knew of backcountry liscence... paranoid.gif 90 percent of my fishing aint in backcountry though, but, you get these liscence through a normal retailer as the regular? Or you go through the FS or something? Is this something just Washington does?

salish

salish
PostWed Mar 17, 2004 7:22 pm 
Loggerman, I think there may be a slight misunderstanding here. You don't need a special "backcountry" fishing license to fish high lakes or the back country, your general Washington State Freshwater fishing license covers this.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostWed Mar 17, 2004 8:03 pm 
Ahh, hince why I never heard of it. smile.gif Thanx for clearing that up Cody

Damian

Damian
PostWed Mar 17, 2004 9:27 pm 
No fishing licence is required in national park backcountry areas. Salmon and steelhead punch cards are, howver.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 17, 2004 9:59 pm 
I know some people who dont because they figure that they wont ever see a ranger. If Im gonig to fish, I buy a license. Mostly I dont support laws that when bronken produce no victims, but this one I do. As Mr. Curtis said, it supports the fishery. TB agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Mar 17, 2004 10:00 pm 
Damian, you may be correct for the Olympics, but I'm not sure that's true in the NCNP (I think you need a license).

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostWed Mar 17, 2004 10:24 pm 
Well if I understand it right. The places you just need a regular freshwater liscense to fish, but you can buy and backcountry lisence as more or less a donation to the fisherys, then is up to the person if they want to donate to the fisherys, but if you fish period you always should have a liscense. I find it rather hard to think of a real victimless crime that don't in some way come down to affect someone in some way. PM me if you feel like explaining that to me. I aint saying your wrong, or your beliefs there are wrong. I just dont understand that comment I guess. I think the way they do fishing regulations and liscence in Oregon are much simplar and better if you ask me. I was rather surprised on all the different liscences and stuff you have to have here in Washington.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostWed Mar 17, 2004 11:09 pm 
We're just talking about the regular fishing license here, Loggerman, not a special license. The premise is that some people figure they can get away without a license because they aren't likely to get caught if they only fish in the backcountry. I have been out in the backcountry with WDFW biologists on many occassions and I have been out there while licenses were being checked so it does happen. There is no license needed in Mt Rainier or Olympic National Parks. You need a regular Washington State fishing license in the North Cascades National Park.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Damian

Damian
PostThu Mar 18, 2004 1:45 pm 
Tom wrote:
Damian, you may be correct for the Olympics, but I'm not sure that's true in the NCNP (I think you need a license).
Correction noted. Thanks.

Dslayer

Dslayer
PostThu Mar 18, 2004 3:38 pm 
The outlaw in me says "don't buy a license, you'll never get checked" I have to beat that bastard off my shoulder all the time, not just over this but about a lot of things-but the good news is that 99.99% of the time I do. The citizen in me pays the license and is happy to do it because it helps supports WDFW which is pretty much entirely supported by licenses and tag fees if I'm not mistaken, plus 100% of all the guys I've met that work for them are good people. I've never been checked off a road either fishing or hunting in WA. I have been checked in the Beartooths in MT. The guy was 8 miles in off a main trail. I was impressed.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostThu Mar 18, 2004 4:10 pm 
License
I got checked by a warden 2 days into a trip in the Wind Rivers in Wyoming. Big guy chewing on a cigar riding a big horse. After paying 75 dollars for a out of state license I asked to be checked.

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
salish

salish
PostThu Mar 18, 2004 4:19 pm 
Dslayer, I got checked for a plug in my 16ga up on Oak Creek WA last November, by WDFW enforcement. I think I may have mentioned it to you. In all my years of hunting and fishing that was the first time I had been checked. Cliff