Forum Index > Trail Talk > Fishing lures
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostSun Mar 28, 2004 9:42 am 
It's Dry/Wet flys vs Roostertails/Artificial lures: I know alot of people on these threads fish, my question is how many use Flys vs Roostertails and other like lures, and which do you thing work best on high mountain lakes. I have seen where wind totaly ruins Fly fishing, but at other times fake lures aren't the answer either. How about some input? I personally like a Brown Roostertail with 2 hooks cut off and a pinched barb.

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostSun Mar 28, 2004 10:10 am 
LD, I fish flies almost all of the time, usually with wets, but sometimes with a dry if there's a hatch coming off. I use a plain old floating line and sometimes go to a 10ft sink tip line. I also pack a small spinning reel for when fly fishing is difficult to do, and I like Kastmaster lures in blue/silver, brass, and all silver. I also like Flatfish - can't remember the size but they're about 2" long. I also like the Mepps Spin-Fly, which is a singlehook lure made to look like a Wooly Worm with a spindle & blade. There are some other lures that I can't remember the name of right now that are good on high lakes. I remove all treble hooks and on lures and replace them with Gamaktsu siwash style single hooks and pinch the barbs. I probably lose a few fish this way, but they're easy to release, which is what I do with most of my fish. What is sometimes a real killer on high lakes is a casting bubble on a spinning setup with flies. I've had especially good luck with a bead head nymph on these types of rigs. So you can try flies even if it's windy. And then there's always good old Pautzkes Balls of Fire salmon eggs. Hey, I love dry flies and fine, hand planed bamboo fly rods, but I'm no elitest - if nothing else is working and I want a couple of trout for the pan I have no qualms about using an egg smile.gif Curious to hear what others use. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostSun Mar 28, 2004 10:43 am 
I'll second the Flatfish recommendation.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostSun Mar 28, 2004 12:11 pm 
Fishing Lures
When we went to Idaho 2 years ago I put on a brown Roostertail and left it on for 7 days. That lure caught 75+ trout ranging in size from 15in. and 1 pound to 24+ in. and 4-5 pounds. After the trip it got "retired". I have had such good luck with the Roostertails that I don't use anything else. I would like to try new lures and will use your input in the future. I am going back to that spot in Idaho next year. The great thing about the lakes we went into is that since we left 2 years ago there's a good chance no body has been there since. up.gif lol.gif

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
Alpine

Alpine
PostSun Mar 28, 2004 7:36 pm 
I'd have to concur with Salish on most of his lure choices. One more that I'd suggest is a Super Duper. It's kind of a u-shaped lure (hard to describe) that has action similar to a flatfish. I've caught a lot of fish on those things!

Blake

Blake
PostSun Mar 28, 2004 8:10 pm 
Most mountain-lake trout will bite just about anything. For big old selective trout, i'd go with small drab colored nymphs and scuds.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostMon Mar 29, 2004 12:49 am 
I had a friend who used to only use brown Roostertails. Then one day we were at a lake and spotted a really nice fish cruising the shallows. He got is rod put together first and the fish would not hit his Roostertail. He gave me a shot at it. Using a spoon, I landed a nice 16" fish. From that moment on he started carrying more variety in his lure box. I find that from lake to lake and area to area and day to day the best lure changes. Sometimes flies are most effective. Some days they have to be dry, some days they have to be wet. Sometimes lures are the most effective. In some lakes the fish are deep, in others they are in the shallows. I've seen lakes were two people using different techniques each caught a different species of fish all day. I carry a variety of flies and lures. I carry 2 fly rods (I'm prone to breaking 'em. I once broke 2 rods in the first 3 days of a 13 day trip), a fly reel, and a spinning reel. If I'm fishing from a boat I'll normally start fishing flies or Flatfish (red, orange, or black and in certain lakes green), depening on how the lake looks. From the shore I'll often use spoons (It is hard to cast a Flatfish) Jakes Spin-a-lure(1/4 oz brass, black, or white) is probably my favorite, followed by Krocodiles (3/16 to 1/4 oz, brass and red) and Kamlooper Jr (3/16 oz, red/white or orange). I keep a few of other miscellaneous lures in my box in case the fish are being extra picky. And most importantly, I carry a Rite-In-The-Rain notebook and pencil I record the length of each fish and often the weight along with various notes about the lake. The information is then entered into the survey form at the Trail Blazers' website so it is delivered to the appropriate WDFW biologist.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostMon Mar 29, 2004 12:59 am 
Kevin wrote:
i havent noticed color making a difference, the action is more important in getting a fish to strike.
I've seen it where action is the key and other times where color is the key. I can remember one lake in particular where we weren't catching any fish until we switched to a certain lure. Then the fish were caught almost every cast. The color of the lure made no difference, just the action. It had to be that certain brand of lure with that particular action. Matching the color and pattern using a different lure was not effective. I've seen that with flies, too. Where the fish wanted the fly to have a puffy action. Any pattern would work as long as it had the proper action but if it didn't the fish wouldn't hit. OTOH, I can recall a lake where the fish were so thick I thought I'd switch lures to one I didn't use as much in case I lost it. This time the brand was the same but the color was different. I stopped catching fish. I switched back to the first color and started catching fish again. Just this last summer I was at a lake where I was trolling Flatfish and not catching anything. I caught nothing for over an hour, then when I switched to the third color of Flatfish I tried I started getting a strike every 10 to 15 minutes.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Trevor

Trevor
PostMon Mar 29, 2004 1:08 am 
I've experienced equally amazing success on kastmasters and small tiger-striped spoons. Last year I caught a 7 pound rainbow trout in a lake in Monroe on a small-dotted-white kastmaster.

Criminal

Criminal
PostMon Mar 29, 2004 10:10 am 
Oh this just makes me miss fishing even more... frown.gif Question: If I get my fishing license now, doesn't it expire in April? I think I should wait until then.

Because I am mad about women, I am mad about the hills Said that wild old wicked man, who travels where God wills. - Yeats topohiker.com
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostMon Mar 29, 2004 10:15 am 
If I had to have only lure-it would be the brass Kastmaster-but the secret is less one 'special' lure/fly/bait then having a variety and being willing to adjust and improvise, colors, retrieves, 'baits,' to find something that works. I'm having more success these days with olive and black wooly buggers pulled behind a plastic bubble. Another lure I like a lot is Jake's Spin-a-Lure-Cliff got me on that one. I rarely fish a new place, so most of my spots, I have a 'baseline' of what's worked in the past and start from there. I always like to look at what other guys have in their tackle box, I assume they have what's in there because they catch fish with them. One of the things I got from this thread is brown roostertails-I usually always have black, but not brown-I'll be getting a few of those.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostMon Mar 29, 2004 2:10 pm 
A big thank you to all who responded. I'm going to have to buy a bigger backpack to hold all the lures I've read about!! up.gif agree.gif

salish

salish
PostMon Mar 29, 2004 2:12 pm 
Lead Dog wrote:
A big thank you to all who responded. I'm going to have to buy a bigger backpack to hold all the lures I've read about!! up.gif agree.gif
Naw, the TRICK, LD, is to get this all to fit in an empty 35mm film container - have fun.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Dave Weyrick

Dave Weyrick
PostMon Mar 29, 2004 2:57 pm 
Don't forget to include the gold 1/4 oz. Thomas Bouyant spoon. I've caught more fish on this lure than all others combined.

If I'd known ya was gonna use bait I wouldn't a brought ya!
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostMon Mar 29, 2004 3:25 pm 
35MM Film container
I keep my first aid kit in a 35mm film container. You mean I'll have to carry 2 now? doh.gif