Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mid Fork Snoqualmie Campground
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Mar 30, 2004 6:02 pm 
Something I found.....a bid proposal for the Mid Fork Snoq Campground. http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/purchasing/solicitations/proposals.shtml

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Mar 30, 2004 6:58 pm 
That would be nice and bad......but I'd still like it!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Mar 30, 2004 7:11 pm 
Why is that under the Pinchot's website? huh.gif I'm indifferent. Having a campground up there would probably deter people from dumping more, but it would likely attract more theft. If they're gonna put it at the site of the old Taylor campground, maybe they'll improve the Middle Fork road up to the split on the other side of the hill just after the Taylor junction. I have no problems with that. agree.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Mar 30, 2004 7:31 pm 
Where are the ECO terr-orr-ists when you need them? or at least Mr. Yuk! Down with this plan. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
touron

touron
PostTue Mar 30, 2004 7:46 pm 
Hmmm...I own a shovel. If I do the whole thing myself can I get all $1milllion? hmmm.gif I like the idea of a new campground. Go for it!

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostWed Mar 31, 2004 1:03 pm 
So they want to spend 1,000,000 for a campground, but whine about spending 5,000 for maintaining the road. Walking over dollars trying to find another dime.... a government operation obviously.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 31, 2004 1:27 pm 
what a great way to increase use of a valley they claim to be trying to protect. They have to get a lot of people back there to save the valley so they can close the upper road because too many people use it (when they talk about pristinity) and too few use it (when they talk about the minor impact of closing it.) What does the "F" stand for in USFS? I'll leave that to the reader.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Mikey

Mikey
PostWed Mar 31, 2004 1:42 pm 
Does it say anywheres in the planning paperwork if this is to be a USFS Campground operated by a private company (such as the USFS Campground at Lake Kaches)? The proposed construction of this campground might be part of their push to privatize the Federal Campgrounds and provide $ to the companies operating the campgrounds. Putting $ into repairing the MF Snoqualmie road will not contribute $ to the campground operating companies. Yes, I have spent some years watching "legislative" sausage being made (onsite) and the influence of powerful interest groups is something to see!

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Apr 01, 2004 12:26 am 
Most of the forest service campgrounds around here are run by contractors. The FS still gets money from camping fees, whether it's less than if the FS ran the campground, I don't know. I imagine that the Midfork CG won't be cheap (probably 14.00 / night +), since it's close to suburbia.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Apr 01, 2004 2:31 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
what a great way to increase use of a valley they claim to be trying to protect. They have to get a lot of people back there to save the valley so they can close the upper road because too many people use it (when they talk about pristinity) and too few use it (when they talk about the minor impact of closing it.) What does the "F" stand for in USFS? I'll leave that to the reader.
So, I take it you want the campground not built to keep people out, but you want the road left open to let people in? If so, how is that any more consistent than what you claim they want? And how does a car camp impact the valley? It will protect the lower valley, since the more honest people that come to an area, the more the criminal element will go elsewhere, especially if there is a campground host. But I am not for the campground, as I think it's too much money. I say spend the million fixing every bridge that's out and every trail that's impassable due to flood damage. Dinner before dessert. But if the day comes that the entire maintenance backlog, frontcountry and backcountry, is taken care of, and there's money left over, then I would say this campground is OK.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Apr 01, 2004 7:39 am 
Hey Sluggo, how about just keeping it the way it is!?!?!?! Why is that NEVER enough? TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Apr 01, 2004 7:44 am 
Because: The FS isn't about recreation! It's about "managing" lands. The FS needs money makers....and front country stuff at least makes fees! More people use the front country than the back country. At least there will be a presence of humans back there most of the year....maybe less trashed cars, break ins and guys illegally 4 wheeling in spurs?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Apr 01, 2004 7:51 am 
Quote:
The FS isn't about recreation! It's about "managing" lands. The FS needs money makers....and front country stuff at least makes fees! More people use the front country than the back country. At least there will be a presence of humans back there most of the year....maybe less trashed cars, break ins and guys illegally 4 wheeling in spurs?
Managing lands also cost them money. They aren't going to MAKE money from the fiasco! What fees? This isn't going to COST anybody anything. There are humans back there now. If anything this is going to DRAW criminals into the area. There wont be anymore police activity then than there is now. The King COuntry Sherifs department is WAY under staffed. They cant afford anymore police presence in that area. (I know Ive talked to friends who are sheriffs) It wont stop any illegal four wheeling either. Mostly because there really isn't any going on now. They have closed most if not all the side roads that were any fun. Besides, that area was NEVER known for that anyway. TB

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Apr 01, 2004 8:06 am 
What there will be back there is the RV presence. Not a bad thing. I actually like NF campgrounds for the most part in the MBSNF area. They will get $14 a night typical plus $7 per extra car. Plus it will most likely have a picnic area for day users. What this will do is bring the glorified Touron down the road to check it out-which isn't a bad thing. It is close to North Bend after all. I will bet that campground is full every day in summer of 2005, after it opens. They all are for the most part. Rember....for every front country site built, it keeps others out of the backcountry..... lol.gif More for you in other words....and I hate to say it, but bridges and trail repair don't make money.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Apr 01, 2004 8:36 am 
Quote:
Rember....for every front country site built, it keeps others out of the backcountry..... More for you in other words....and I hate to say it, but bridges and trail repair don't make money.
I say wrong Sare, it brings MORE people into the area that NEVER would have been there before. It brings people CLOSER to all those lakes that I like to go into. I think its nieve to think that they will STAY in their RV's and not venture out. Progress! Sure buddy! TB hmmm.gif down.gif hmmm.gif