Forum Index > Trail Talk > Anyone familiar with Wm. O. Douglas Wilderness?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
frankm3

frankm3
PostFri Apr 02, 2004 12:38 pm 
Here's a question for you wise NWH elders..... I was looking through a hiking book or two for a few for backpacking destinations for this summer, and came across this area which looks particularly interesting to me (see attached scan of map), it seems like there are a number of great loop itineraries, lots of lakes and high alpine scenery, without tons of elevation as an added bonus! How do you access this area? There is a campground on the adjacent map to the north (Bumping Lake #271) called 'Deep Creek', and 'Dog Lake' campground from the south, which I am assuming are the most direct access locations. More importantly, when will I be able to get back here and get started exploring? Most of the trails in this area are in the 4-5,000' elevation range it seems. Thanks in advance, Frank M.
scan from GT #303 map
scan from GT #303 map

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostFri Apr 02, 2004 4:31 pm 
I was there quite a few years ago. We visited Apple & Pear lakes, Blankenship Lakes and Tumac Mountain. Accessed it from Chinook Pass and the Bumping Lake road. We went mid-week but I hear it can be crowded on weekends, for many of the reasons you cite (lots of lakes and scenery, without tons of elevation). Fishing was good, but bring the DEET - they don't call it Mosquito Valley for nothing. Check the WTA website, there's probably lots of TRs from past years.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Apr 02, 2004 5:08 pm 
I heard the bugs are big there too. Except in late September and October.

Art is an adventure.
G C Thomas

G C Thomas
PostFri Apr 02, 2004 11:14 pm 
I'm usually an Olympics only hiker because of travel, I mean I'm looking at them right now out my front window in Sequim (they are glowing quite nicely in the moonlight), but I have always wanted to go to that area in the cascades. If any of you out there who live on the olympic pen. are heading that way and want to take me along I would not protest. I know it's off the subject kind of but has anyone read William douglas' auto biography, "Of Men And Mountains"? It is one of my favorite books.

packrat

packrat
PostSat Apr 03, 2004 10:11 am 
I spend 7 to 10 days between Chinook and White Pass each year , usually go in mid week to avoid the short day hike crowd, fishing is great,yes bug are thick but very nice country ,lots of blueberrys and you meet a some thru hikers that have great stories. I very my time of year from june to september.

Life is short so live it now
hikermike

hikermike
PostSun Apr 04, 2004 1:19 am 
Have spent many a summer there. Great for kids! We'd enter from the north at Deep Creek and use Twin Sisters Lake as a base. Use the smaller Twin Sister, ( the first you come to) as everyone goes to the larger which is just a big round Horsey Lake. The Little Twin has many inlets and islets hence more privacy. You must go to Tumac (Two Macs) Mtn as the views are wonderful. Not much elsewhere. The whole area is a plateau of meadows, woods and lakes and if you go early you avoid the horses. The BUGS CAN BE TERRIBLE! We very much love this region and though I spend most my time in the N. Cascades and NCNP I make at least one trip a year to "touch bases" with a more friendly, cosy place. Read William O'Douglas's "Men To Match My Mountains".

Mikey

Mikey
PostSun Apr 04, 2004 10:31 am 
You can access this area from White Pass and other locations off of Highway 12; trailheads at Dog lake, White Pass Campground( Leech Lake), and Soda Springs Campground. After the first hard freeze the bug populations decline markedly and so some years September is a very nice time. As I recall dslayer (from Selah) has written some nice reports on his hikes in this area.

JimK

JimK
PostSun Apr 04, 2004 10:38 am 
The bugs vary greatly. A few years back I did three day hikes near Bumping Lake. First was Mt. Aix and there were no bugs. The next day I drove a few miles down the road and at Twin Sisters and Tumac Mountain the bugs were as bad as I have ever seen. At Goat Mountain the next day there were no bugs at all. All the water in the Twin Sisters/Mosquito Meadows area make for really bad bugs. Still it was great hiking.

hikermike

hikermike
PostSun Apr 04, 2004 1:12 pm 
Deep Creek has the advantage of faster access, 1 1/2 miles of trail to the first destination, and only a few cars at an isolated trail-head, instead of parking along a major highway. Does take a little longer to get to the trailhead though and the road is sometimes rough.

ridgerunner

ridgerunner
PostMon Apr 05, 2004 7:26 am 
I've hiked in this area off the Dog Lake campground. Did a great 13 mile loop hike in one day, visited probably a dozen small lakes, the area has lots of meadows and wildflowers along with some great views of Rainer. Was there over Labor day weekend and didn't have any problems with bugs.

frankm3

frankm3
PostMon Apr 05, 2004 11:25 am 
Thanks for all the input y'all! I wound up calling the GPNF and talked to a ranger who was really helpful, he said that it's not really busy (relatively)- not a lot of people go back there relative to other places that are 'popular' like Goat Rocks Wilderness. My camping neighbors from last weekend have been back there a few times too, and confirmed what you all are saying about the bugs. That is probably a big turn off for a lot of people, isn't that what bug repellant is for? Midweek sounds like the time to go too! 'Of Men and Mountains' is now on my reading list! 3 or 4 people have mentioned that book of late! Frank