Forum Index > Trail Talk > Ancient Lakes this weekend?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Markus

Markus
PostWed May 12, 2004 8:53 pm 
Okay, was going to do the Ancient Lakes thing with a buddy... but he's (not me... nope, not this guy... not I... wouldn't be talkin' about me here) heard tales of the snakes coming out down there. So can someone tell me if it's either too early for many snakes to be out... or do I just have to lie to him and tell him that it's too early for many snakes to be out? wink.gif Any help appreciated.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
touron

touron
PostWed May 12, 2004 9:04 pm 
I was there a little over a week ago. It was a hot day. I didn't see any snakes, and have never seen one in the 4 times I've been there, but I've never been there in the summer. The water in the falls was about half what it was a few weeks ago. I think the best time to visit them is mid-March to first week in May so you see more water in the falls and the area is greener. A friend has a picture of a rattler right at the beginning of the trail. Check it out, it's a great place.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostWed May 12, 2004 9:53 pm 
It is too early for snakes!! really!! agree.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed May 12, 2004 10:19 pm 
#1 safety in hiking: Do not lie to your freind about conditions. If you do, he won't be looking out for them. It is not too early for snakes. I haven't been to Ancient Lakes this year, and can't say for sure, but they could certainly be out now, since it has been so warm.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
frankm3

frankm3
PostWed May 12, 2004 10:39 pm 
I was there a few weekends ago. Someone else who I ran across while camped there had a rattlesnake encounter that very weekend; that was the beginning of April, so it would be safe to say they are out now in my opinion. Here is the report from that trip- https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4867

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostWed May 12, 2004 10:46 pm 
Snakes absolutely are active now in any region of the Columbia Basin. I actually wonder if they are less likely to be seen further into spring now than right when they come out and are in the "scatter and spread out" stage preparing for the hot season ahead. I've seen 6-7 rattlesnakes in the past three years. EVERY one was between April 21-May 3. None in June...(well, OK...I heard a few up Hardy Canyon on June 17th 2 years ago...). But you need to assume they are out. You also need to assume you have a FAR better chance of never seeing one than having the opportunity to see one. Not scrambling around or beating around in tall grass and brush reduces the chances another 80%. But the biggest reason to not beat in the brush and tall grass is to avoid ticks, if you ask me, not snakes.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed May 12, 2004 10:51 pm 
Yeah, a freind of mine spent a day at Whiskey Dick last weekend, and all 3 members of their party had several ticks crawling around in their hair. They pulled over to scritch around each other's heads, like monkeys, and noticed the whole right side of the Jeep was loaded with them. The right side is where all the sagebrush was bashing into the open windows. They had to empty the rig and shake out all thier stuff, and still - at Sunset Cafe in Cle Elum, ticks were shaking off their bodies onto the table. Bob found several ticks in the bathtub after he took a shower once he got home, and one crawling on the wall in his house. So Seattle now has ticks. Imported ticks!

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
frankm3

frankm3
PostWed May 12, 2004 10:56 pm 
Oh great; go ahead Quark.....encite the next NWH panic paranoid.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed May 12, 2004 11:01 pm 
No reason for alarm, they are just annoying creepy-crawlies, and a little embarrasing, if you don't catch 'em before they engorge themselves with your blood. You leave work in the morning, no problem. Later that day, you have engorged ticks hanging off your forehead and neck. That's the main problem with ticks.

anon23bf

anon23bf
PostThu May 13, 2004 12:03 am 
Lyme disease carried by ticks might be a problem, though I haven't heard much about it here. It's most prevalent on the east coast, where I used to live and where it was a big public-health issue. Apparently there's some risk in western and central WA as well.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu May 13, 2004 4:33 am 
The whole area of E. WA, ID and MT are just crawing with ticks and rattlers. Best stay home this year. Really, don't leave the house. Don't even send your worst friend out to take photos. Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostThu May 13, 2004 7:24 am 
Newt, you have done us all a great public service with your sage advice! And FOR GOSH SAKE, don't venture out alone!

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
touron

touron
PostThu May 13, 2004 7:27 am 
Well, supposin' it's too late and you already have a tick. How do you be a gracious host?

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostThu May 13, 2004 7:37 am 
Newt wrote:
The whole area of E. WA, ID and MT are just crawing with ticks and rattlers. Best stay home this year. Really, don't leave the house. Don't even send your worst friend out to take photos. Newt
Yes, yes---listen to the Newt-man! It's scary out there! My trip last week to B.C. and NE Washington...my trip report was a hoax to get you all in trouble. It was a living hell and worth you avoiding it at all cost! I for one am so glad we have people like Newt to keep our dreams in reality or we'd be in a mess of trouble. biggrin.gif

touron

touron
PostThu May 13, 2004 7:40 am 
That does it. Me and the Nordic Princess, or rather the Nordic Princess and I, are going hiking there come high priced Shell or high water.