Forum Index > Food & Grub > Favorite Backpacking Cookbooks?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
McFarnell
Web Developer

McFarnell
Web Developer
PostTue May 18, 2004 5:31 pm 
How about some titles of your favorite backpacking cookbooks/recipes/web sites along with some reasons why you like them and maybe a link to more information? Here's mine: Lipsmackin' Vegetarian Backpackin' Link to more info at Amazon.com One of the reasons I like this book is because I had the privledge of having a few of my own recipes published in it! up.gif cool.gif (No, I don't get any of the profits, just a free copy of the book) I haven't had a chance to try any of the recipes yet, but there are lots of them that look interesting! It has some humorous stories mixed in with the recipes as well. The recipes were submitted by many different backpackers, as well as the authors. All of the recipes have two step instructions: one step for at home and the other for on the trail. In the back of the book there is a paragraph about each contributer. This book has a lot of dehydrated recipes. There is also a humorous section about "Dehydrophobia - the intense and irrational fear of using a food dehydrator" paranoid.gif If you aren't vegetarian, don't fear! smile.gif This book has great recipes that even the omnivore will love. There's even a recipe for a dehydrated smoothie, berry cobbler, and other cool recipes! Here's another: Backcountry Cooking: From Pack to Plate in 10 Minutes Link to more information at Amazon.com This is also a great cookbook, with lots of "instant" recipes - with these recipes, all the preparation is done at home and all you need is boiling water to complete the meal. This book also has numerous culinary tips from various "trail veterans", advice on how to plan meals, etc. Looking forward to seeing other people's favorite cookbooks/recipes! wink.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue May 18, 2004 5:40 pm 
Beanies and wienies are as creative as I get. I boil up a mean quart of hot water too. embarassedlaugh.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue May 18, 2004 8:15 pm 
Lipsmackin' Backpackin is my favorite...though I am getting pretty good with my dehydrator these days-I found this weird little book called "Trail Food" all about that written by some scary looking Mt. Man biggrin.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
hikermike

hikermike
PostTue May 18, 2004 10:55 pm 
As of now, I have none. They all involve some complex or off-the-wall gourmet or politcally correct recipes involving tofu and some S. American food grain. I want something quick, simple, edible, zoned, (I'm a diabetic) simple, easily available at the supermarket at 2:00 AM the nite before, and, o yes, did I mention simple! I have a book called "High Trail Cookery" which might make the list as although they are a bit involved, you make it at home and then dehydrate them. Hence on the trail just add water and boil, hence meeting the criteria of simple. Also, can be made months ahead meeting the criteria of easily available. Now if I can only find the time to use the dehydrator. Note: making your own Jerky IS worth it, Much cheaper, tastier, without as much salt and perservatives and softer, important for us old codgers with bad teeth!

hikermike

hikermike
PostTue May 18, 2004 10:59 pm 
Beans and weannies are too involved.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed May 19, 2004 6:02 am 
Hikermike...I totally understand the point of convience. I don't cook on the trail at all!! I have better things to do than carry a 13 oz pan and have to scrub at night! So all my dehydrated food is done so I can just pour in boiling water in a freezer bag and eat in a few minutes. It does take some trial and error though. Yeah, and I avoid recipes calling for freaky hippy food like barley or or bean curd...I aint into anything that takes 40 minutes to cook!

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed May 19, 2004 7:07 am 
My favorite backpacking cook book is the Mountain House CATALOG! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed May 19, 2004 7:10 am 
Lol! At least yer honest!

slickhorn

slickhorn
PostTue Dec 22, 2009 4:45 pm 
Recently expanded my trail kitchen library and thought I'd share some feedback. this thread seemed the place to do it, even if it's a bit old. A Fork in the Trail This one shot right to the top of my trail kitchen library. There's a ton of interesting recipes unlike any I've seen elsewhere. There are some baking recipes, but there's also many one-pot or freezer bag style offerings. One of things that stands out about this book is an above average section on how to properly dehydrate, and many of the recipes offer great dehydration options. No nutritional or weight information, but a huge collection of unique recipes. Lipsmackin' Backpackin A standard book. Some rudimentary info, and a ton of "glop" recipes. Many recipes that will adapt well for freezer bag or one pot cooking. Nothing that made me excited to spend the weekend working on trip food though. Some baked or pan fried recipes, but no dutch over style overkill. My favorite thing about this book series is listing the weight, calorie, and serving information for the recipes. All backcountry cookbooks should do the same. Lipsmackin Vegetarian Backpacking Very similar book with a lot of overlap to its predecessor, but some new recipes. If you're vegan or vegetarian, this is one of the better books I've seen. Many glop recipes here too. Some baked or pan fried recipes, but no dutch over style overkill. My favorite thing about this book series is listing the weight, calorie, and serving information for the recipes. All backcountry cookbooks should do the same. The Back-Country Kitchen: Camp Cooking for Canoeists, Hikers, and Anglers This is a pretty good book, I'd say above average. This book has some good recipe ideas for fresh caught fish and game, something many books leave out. There's also a great section on dehydrating foods at home. Backpack Gourmet A book focused on dehydrating and one pot meals. I particularly like the sections on soups, chowders, and stews. Great info on home dehydrating also, with some detailed tips and sound technique. I also enjoy Sarbar's Freezerbag cooking book. It's got some great tips on packing/in camp techniques, and though contains fewer recipes than some of these other books, the website really compliments the book with additional and refined recipes.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Dec 22, 2009 4:51 pm 
Talk about an old thread revived! up.gif A couple weeks ago I started a library list that some might be interested in...lots of obscure titles that I have hunted down as well. http://blog.trailcooking.com/trail-library/

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Dec 29, 2009 1:20 pm 
I second the recommendations for Lipsmackin' Vegetarian Backpackin' and High Trail Cookery (and older book, but with a great recipe for Tamale Pie that I would even serve guests at home; other very good recipes as well). Another strong recommendation is Wilderness Cuisine by Carole Latimer. Home prep is more complicated than some books, but great recipes. In fact, I served Puttanesca from a recipe in this book to a large group of non-outdoor friends at a holiday party at our house a few days ago to rave reviews.

T Mary

T Mary
PostMon Jan 04, 2010 9:57 am 
Thanks for all the great recommendations! I was inspired to pull out my dehydrator this weekend and experiment with it--and quite pleased with the results. Now I'm armed with Sarbar's book (which I used a lot last summer) and bags of home-dried veggies and ready to go backpacking!

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostWed Feb 24, 2010 2:26 pm 
Can I add my own to the list? One Pan Wonders ~ Backcountry Cooking at its Finest (no dehydrator required) I'll second the vote for the Lip Smackin Backpacking books (both of them).

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Feb 24, 2010 3:07 pm 
If you like to cook, and are willing to spend a little prep time, A Fork in the Trail is the book for you. up.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
slickhorn

slickhorn
PostWed Feb 24, 2010 3:09 pm 
AllisonW wrote:
If you like to cook, and are willing to spend a little prep time, A Fork in the Trail is the book for you. up.gif
that's the one for sure! If I could only have 1 book this is the one. my new dehydrator has been on 70% of the time since I got it over the holidays. never knew cabbage smelled like pumpkin before this lol