Forum Index > Trip Reports > Scatter Creek/Lake - Twisp
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Jul 05, 2004 8:54 am 
I buzzed out of town early Friday morning toward Twisp, my foot a little heavy on the gas. Just as I was thinking I should slow down, a bright green Honda Civic darted out from behind me going about 100. Five or six antennae sprouted out in five or six different directions from the body of the skittering neon cockroach, and from two of them fluttered and snapped two skull-and-crossbones pirate flags. Across the whole back window of the car, a white and red sticker shouted, “I’m Headed To Margaritaville!” As he spazzed by me like a bat out of hell, I began to relax about my benign little highway infraction. I took another sip of coffee, and bumped the accelerator back up to a mere 85. I figured my personal little flagship, the S.S. Margaritaville, is sure to flush out and subsequently occupy any cops who might be ahead of me. I hit the 3200’ trailhead at the crack of noon. I repacked my backpack (again), downed another quart of water and started up the trail. In 4.2 total miles this trail gains 3842’. That doesn’t sound too bad until I add that the first 2.5 miles or so are of typical grade - meaning the remaining half makes up what the previous half didn’t do. At about 3 miles you come to the confluence of Scatter and Slade creeks, a great place to tank up and soak your feet. After realizing that great waterfall straight ahead and waaaaay up high is falling from Scatter Lake, your destination, you swig some more agua, lace up the boots and hit the hot, rocky, and now steep trail. From the horsecamp, the trail doesn’t waste any time with the final thrust up to the lake. (“You say you wanna go to da lake? O.K., so I take you to da lake.”) Enter a sweet hanging meadow about halfway up the Scatter Creek waterfall, then 10 minutes later you’re standing at the shore of shimmering blue-green Scatter Lake nestled in a cirque at 7042’. Wow. This lake gets most use in fall during larch viewing and deer hunting season. I hit it just right for the lushest flora and tolerable weather. I wouldn’t want to come here in late July or August – that sun hitting the rock, sand and scree all day radiates heat into the cirque like an oven. Lucky for me, the cirque creates its own wind, and at least in early July, a circuitous path of icy-relief is constantly on the move here. In between icy-cold gusts of wind, the sun was baking-hot. After the icy blast, the hot sun felt good, and after the hot sun, the icy blast felt good. And so it went all weekend. I had the whole place to myself. I didn’t see anyone until back at the trailhead Sunday afternoon. Saturday I scrambled up un-named Pt. 7840’ just east of Abernathy Peak. I named it Pointy Orange Peak, mainly because it’s pointy and orange. It’s easy to spot the route – you just follow the obvious contour of vegetables, then sorta pick your way to the ridgeline and up til there’s no more up. It took me about 1.5 hours up, choosing larger rocks to stumble over rather than dealing with the loose scree (one step up, 4 steps back). I spent about 2 hours on the summit soaking in the 360 views, reading my book, and pretending I’m a big shot. You know – pretending I’m giving speeches and ordering people around - stuff you do when you know darn well there ain’t no one gonna see you do it. It took only about ½ hour to get back to camp – all you do is – wheeee! plunge-step for about 15 minutes down the scree slope of slatey slivers back down to the vegetables, bushwack a little, recover from the obligatory rock-rolling-under-your-left-foot butt splat, and you’re home free. I’m sporting a bruise the size of the town of Truth or Consequences, New Mexico (just the downtown area, not the whole thing). I’m not a flower freak, or so I say…but I was constantly delighted by the showing of flora on this trip. There are lots of meadows along the Scatter Creek trail. To name some: larkspur, tall bluebell, lupine, blue and pink penstemmon, orange hawkweed, lots of phlox, scarlet and orange paintbrushes, lots of white bog orchid concentrated along the banks of one stream, buttercup, desert parsley, buckwheat, lots of stonecrop at the lake, and at the inlet of the lake are acres of elephant heads in full bloom! There are plenty of others, too. But I didn’t take photos of all of them and cannot remember. I don't know the name of any of the Big Dumb mountains in my photos. Seems I should recognize that massive double-pointy one (that's a geological techical term). Was this short backpack trip was well worth the 400+ mile drive? Yeah.
Abernathy & Washington Pass area
Abernathy & Washington Pass area
Lake & Mr. Big Stuff
Lake & Mr. Big Stuff
Big Dumb Mountain
Big Dumb Mountain
Moi
Moi
Toward O Canada
Toward O Canada
Orange Hawkweed
Orange Hawkweed

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostMon Jul 05, 2004 10:21 am 
Sweet up.gif Looks like you found a real gem for a place

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jul 05, 2004 10:40 am 
Another good one Quarky. Any other pictures of the lake/lakes? TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Andrew

Andrew
PostMon Jul 05, 2004 11:56 am 
Wow wee! Those mountains are quite attractive, especially towards Canehda. Much thanks!

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Jul 05, 2004 4:33 pm 
Backpacker Chumley wrote:
Another good one Quarky. Any other pictures of the lake/lakes? TB
Funny you should ask. I happen to have this here other photo of the lake and my camp spot. The peninsula jutting into the lake is Italy turned upside down. Do that, and you'll see my tent at the town of Massa, or Siena. My Lake photos beat the heck out of the ones in the hiking book. All the guy had to do was walk 20 minutes uphill to get a decent shot.
One for BPJ
One for BPJ

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostMon Jul 05, 2004 5:02 pm 
Wow, stunning country, nice pics. You do get around. up.gif Of course you didn't circumnavigate St. Helens but not too shabby nonetheless. hihi.gif The loneliness factor in such a beautiful area was a nice bonus.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Jul 05, 2004 9:15 pm 
Quark, with you, there's only one thing I love more than your reports. It's your sense of humor. They're both great. up.gif Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jul 05, 2004 10:27 pm 
Wow! Great TR and pics. up.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Jul 06, 2004 8:00 am 
I admit the TR is a little goofy and long, but when I get goofy and giddy there's nothing I can do about it but let it out. Pointy Orange was one of the best little summits I have ever done. It's easy as anything, but the views can't be beat. I wanted to bag Abernathy because it was sorta in my way - I couldn't see Gardner, et al, which was behind it. But I couldn't see how to get around three big blobby bloops of rock (I hope you're able to follow my geo-techical terms. If it's a problem, let me know and I'll use laymen's terms).

frankm3

frankm3
PostTue Jul 06, 2004 8:38 am 
Nice TR as usual Quarky Jo. Nice sunglasses. biggrin.gif

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Jul 06, 2004 10:02 am 
Gorgeous pics...sounds like you really had a good time. Wishing I was there. wink.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short