Forum Index > Trip Reports > Aasgard/ Prusik Pass/ Edward Mesa/ Toketie 07.04.04
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Smarto

Smarto
PostWed Jul 07, 2004 7:48 pm 
I'd like to start my first post by thanking everyone for their contributions in making this site an invaluable research tool. Tom, the aerial shots of the Enchantments were unbelievable. Also, the nearly weekly photos of Aasgard were great. Can't beat visual confirmation of snow melt from your living room. Thanks to everyone. We hit the trail at the Stuart Lake trailhead Friday morning about 10:00. The weather was perfect with lots of sun and the ocassional shade cloud. The trail to Colchuk was clean and fast (for us) and despite the many breaks and photo ops, we got to the lake at 1:15. We set up camp and relaxed and took lots of photos. An Osprey hunted the lake and brought us to our feet several times diving for fish. The skeeters sucked but the temp was warmer than I thought it would be and our traditional first night steak and biscuits were damn tasty. Dragontail is Awesome. The next morning we got up, broke camp and headed up Aasgard. I was glad to find climb up easier than I expected, not too steep and only one small patch of snow to cross. We caught our wind at the top under sunny skies and rocky crags. It's a regular Goat Show up there and they seem to know they are the life of the party. The upper lakes are still mostly frozen but the snow was easy to walk on. We made our down to Inspiration Lake and set up camp. More Goats and an ancient greying Marmot with a matted tail who could barely get out of his own way. Pretty funny. Sunday, the 4th we got up and headed over Prusik Pass stopping by Gnome Tarn for a morning photo op. Climbers were on Prusik Peak and made our efforts feel pretty modest......and sane! Down the backside of Prusik Pass to Shield, Earl and Mesa lakes. We drooped our packs at the little lake in the saddle above Mesa Lake and headed up the ridge to Edward Mesa. The Mesa is very cool. It feels like a forest in a different part of the country as there are no mountains on the horizon eccept for The Temple to the south. It reminded me of the woods of Minnesota with a bit more ground cover. After wandering the Mesa and checking out views of Leavenworth we headed back to our packs and set up camp. Early to bed for the Toketie decsent loomed. Monday morning we got up early to prepare for an all day sucker. The drop to upper Toketie was quick and made for easy walking. The first chunk coming down from Toketie was not bad at all but soon the fun was over. About half way down it got pretty steep. Not he worst I've been on but close. Loose dirt, rocks and general steepness all the way to Snow Creek. Finding a way across the creek below a series of falls was easier than floundering in the brush on the other side. We found the trail and it was off to the barn. Back to my Uncles place in Leavenworth for Sandwichs, beer and slideshows. It was a demanding trip and more than worth the effort. I'd love to go back in the no bugs/huckleberry/tammarack season.
Still up in the "easy" part
Still up in the "easy" part
Shot of Temple, Prusik Peak and Lil Anna
Shot of Temple, Prusik Peak and Lil Anna
Up on the Mesa
Up on the Mesa
Veiw of Edward Mesa from Prusik Pass
Veiw of Edward Mesa from Prusik Pass
Prusik Peak
Prusik Peak
Lil'Anna and up from Prusik Pass
Lil'Anna and up from Prusik Pass
Somewhere between Isolation and Inspiration
Somewhere between Isolation and Inspiration
Goat Show
Goat Show
Crossing the only snow on Aasgard
Crossing the only snow on Aasgard
Up you go
Up you go

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message

PostWed Jul 07, 2004 8:37 pm 
Beauty of a first post. up.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 07, 2004 9:22 pm 
Yes wonderful post and welcome to the site. Nice pics too. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostWed Jul 07, 2004 10:28 pm 
I too enjoyed the superb trip report. The pics are all really nice. Truly great shots. I love the Mesa plateau shot as it was years and years since I've been up on that area and my slides are long gone (lost). Welcome to the Enchantment lovers part of this group. Yeah, that Toketie route is nasty.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostWed Jul 07, 2004 11:43 pm 
Nice report and nice photos. I especially like the one of the goats with the old wizened looking goat with scraggily and discolored fur and the little kid which looks like it just steeped out of a bathtub.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jul 08, 2004 12:05 am 
Eddie is verdant this time of year compared to when I went there in August of '02. Cool shots. Thanks, and hey, the Tok exit sucks huh?!?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Jul 08, 2004 1:04 am 
Great trip report! Sounds like you guys had a good time...

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Bob K

Bob K
PostThu Jul 08, 2004 10:20 am 
Thanks for the report. How were the mosquitos?

Smarto

Smarto
PostThu Jul 08, 2004 8:56 pm 
Hey all, thanks for the love. Yeah Marylou, Toketie sucks, but not as bad as coming down from Drury Falls.....then ferrying gear and tired dudes across Lake Yolanda. I can think of other misery. Thunder Mountain to Square. Dayhiking 4th of July Creek. Anyway, if you want to go to the Mesa, prepare to suffer getting home. BobK, the Skeeters sucked big time. We usually go in September for that very reason... and the Huckleberrys, so I may be a little sensitive.