Forum Index > Trip Reports > Chelan-Sawtooth loop July 5-7
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostMon Jul 12, 2004 4:07 pm 
I thought it was about time I threw together a trip report for this journey - it's a week old already. Three friends and I headed out July 5th for a 23-mile loop trip in the Chelan-Sawtooth Wilderness to Eagle Lakes, Boiling Lake and Cooney Lake. It's a damn long drive from Pugetopolis, and we weren't asking for much: was good scenery, no crowds, no motorcycles, good weather, easy hiking, wildlife viewing too much to ask? rolleyes.gif We began with much debate over exactly how to get to the trailhead, since I had not copied enough pages from the 100 Hikes in the North Cascades Region book (you know how they love to say "drive to trailhead as described in Hike #33"? Hell, we were doing Hike #34! Who knew we'd need the whole stinking book?!?!). Anyway, we got to the trailhead (elevation 4700') at about 1:00 pm and set out. This is a multiple-use area, meaning horses and motorcycles are allowed, but at least the trail was wide and the grade was gentle. There was some dust, but I imagine it's much worse later in the season. We got to Upper Eagle Lake (elev. 7100') after 6.5 miles, around 5 pm. Upper Eagle Lake is set in a larch-filled basin and there were patches of snow around and some lingering on the cliffs surrounding the lake, but it appears to be going fast. We looked for quite a while to find a decent site that would hold two tents and ended up with one that was a bit too close to the only other party at the lake, but they were cool about it. We saw what appeared to be cougar tracks near the lake, but that was the only sign of a cougar we would see. We set out Tuesday July 6th at about 10 for Horsehead Pass, elev. 7600, 2.5 miles away. The wind was whipping around and it was chilly as hell when we stopped, but actually it was perfect weather for hiking. We took a short rest stop at the Pass and absorbed the views back down to Lower Eagle Lake and out to the dry, flat Columbia Plateau; over the other side to Boiling Lake and across Lake Chelan toward Glacier Peak. It was really a great view spot, but it was cold and was looking ugly weatherwise to the West, and after last year's "adventure" with lightning, we decided to get down off of there to Boiling Lake. As we descended, the sun came out and our spirits lifted. We ran into a gate across the trail, which I guess was put in to keep livestock in - there wasn't a fence, just a gate. It's a bit less than a mile to the lake which sits at 6900'and is set in a pretty little green basin. There was a party camped there with mules, horses and dogs, so we figgered wildlife would be scarce and we were right. We also noticed motorcycle tracks in the meadows near the lake. grrrr! clown.gif After a short break, we headed west, down to connect with the Chelan Summit Trail, elev. 6650', and turned south. The CST was really nice walking - it's open country with gurgling streams and broad expanses of greenery. I wandered around soaking up the views and the sunshine and taking pictures while my compatriots evidently thought they were in a race to get to the next campsite. That's one thing I dislike about hiking with a group, but they were there waiting for me at the turnoff to Angel's Staircase (Switchback Peak) near the E. Fork of Prince Creek, elev. 6900'. Here we put it in low gear for the pull up the barren, rocky slopes to the high point (and highlight) of the trip at 8000'. Angel's Staircase was a really kewl climb, one of those climbs where you think you'll never get to the top but eventually do. This would be a brutal climb on a hot July or August day but we had mild temps and a stiff breeze. As you climb, the views just get better and better out over the Chelan-Sawtooths and on a clear day, to Mt. Rainier. There were two fires burning (Pot Peak and Beebe) so our views were limited. We rested at the summit, which was snowfree, and then headed east above Merchant's Basin with views across the basin to pretty Sunrise Lake. We slowly descended the snowy saddle above Cooney Lake until reaching the shore and locating a campsite. There was still quite a bit of snow at Cooney, elev. 7241' but the lake itself is thawed. This would be another beautiful spot in the fall because the entire basin is covered in larches. After we set up camp, I noticed that the hot spot on my right ankle had turned into a nice big blister. It got cold as evening settled, so we debated on having a fire. There was a big fire pit at our campsite and there was wood already gathered, so we went for it and it was great. It got really windy that night, to the point that it woke us up with gusts that felt like the tent was about to blow down. When we got up the next morning, it was snowing lightly and the wind was still blowing a gale. One of my companions had left my maps unsecured and with all the wind, they are probably in Spokane about now. I moleskinned up and we broke camp about 10. Now here's the fun part. Since my maps was all blowed away, I let the other guys study the remaining map. Big mistake. We hiked for about an hour, 3 miles downhill to a trail junction at elevation 6100'. It was here that I noticed that the trail signs were reading strange, unexpected names, such as "Sunrise Lake 2 miles" and "Foggy Dew Trailhead 5 miles". I believe steam was actually being emitted from my ears at this point, because the signs should have said "Martin Lake 1 mile" and "Crater Creek Trailhead 6 miles". Yes, our amateur map-readers missed the trail junction BACK AT THE LAKE!!! No problem, just send Kleet and Wayne back the RIGHT way, while the other two head out to the end of this trail. grrrrr... rant.gif We marched back, making the 3 uphill miles in 1:10, found the right trail and stomped off. (In defense of the un-named bozos, there was no sign, and the trail takes off at a very sharp angle. But still.) My blister finally exploded at about mile 8, rendering me a quivering mass of wussiedom. We met our only motorcycle rider of the whole trip on the way out. Anyway, we made it back to the car at 4:10. We'd covered a bit over 14 miles in about 6 hours. We drove to the other trailhead and picked our looooohser friends up. My foot feels much better now, thank you. Boiling Lake from Horsehead Pass
A view NW from Angel's Staircase
My fat butt on top of Angel's Staircase
Overlooking Merchant's Basin to Sunrise Lake
Snowy saddle above Cooney Lake

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostMon Jul 12, 2004 4:27 pm 
Great TR. up.gif Pics up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Jul 12, 2004 9:43 pm 
Awwww, Kleet, yer makin' the whole thing up. #1, how could a cartographer have freinds who screw up directions? #2, that isn't your fat butt in the photo. Not that I recognize your butt, but that guy has a bald spot and you don't. (how often do you get to use 2 forms of "but" in a sentence?) If you were there, I'd chime in and ask ain't Merchants Basin great? I camped 2 nights at Sunrise Lake 2 years ago and we scritched around the lake and bagged Pt 8401 above it, then over to Horsetheif Basin area and zipped up one of the Navarres (the real easy one, I can't remember if it's N or S. A baby could do it). Great pictures, great made-up trip report. Sounds like you and your made-up freinds had a great time. P.S. you keep the gettin' lost part under your hat. It's maybe not so good for a cartographers' bidness.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostTue Jul 13, 2004 6:38 am 
Ack! I've been found out!
Leave it to Quirk to reveal that a) I gots no friends (BTW, imaginary English major, it's I before E, except after C) and b) after a rough night on the trail I have a bald spot. Hey man...I didn't have a lot of time to work on my comb-over, okay? If my made-up friends can't read a map, do you think I'd trust their ability as hairstylists? As far as my cartographic skills, well let's just say I am deeply wounded by your groundless accusations. Sunrise Lake looked like a place I may have to visit, and Merchant's Basin looked like a perfect spot for roaming.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?