Forum Index > Trip Reports > Ingalls/Headight Basin
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
piscator

piscator
PostSun Jul 18, 2004 1:35 pm 
First - Hi, I'm new here, been lurking a while but now its time to add what little I can. Thank you all for adding to an informative site. Second- Hiked with the family up to Headlight Basin Thursday night. Stayed and played at Inglls Lake and explored on Friday. Relatively easy hikeing, no snow and few bugs. The lake is ice free now but very cold. My kids actually jumped in many times. Oddly enough, they neve stayed in the water too long. I also caught a few fish. And now a public service anouncement - Beware of the goats! We awoke to a family of goats in our camp on Friday. If you're not familiar with goats, they are in camp for only one thing - urine. The have these insatiable cravings for the salt in pee. If you pee on a bush they will eat it. If you pee on a tree they will eat it. If you pee on a rock they will eat it. So be careful where you pee. I believe that the goats are familiar with hikers enough to know that the first thing we do when we get out of our tents is relieve ourselves. They are just waiting for a tasty morning treat . The goat in the attached picture was the leader of this group and came running toward me while I did my business. Good thing I had my camera.
Mmmmmm.....salty!
Mmmmmm.....salty!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Odonata

Odonata
PostFri Jul 22, 2005 1:56 pm 
The goats are having a rough time right now. The numbers have been diminishing in the cascades and the WDFW is not sure why. Here is a report from a couple of years ago. All about goats. ~O

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Jul 22, 2005 2:07 pm 
Great area and hike. The view of Mt. Stuart and at the same time Mt. Rainier from Ingalls Pass is tremendous, a real treat. Thanks for the TR.

Living in the Anthropocene