Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Jun 26, 2002 4:26 pm 
MounTAIN Woman (in the 'What do you do...' topic) wrote:
I can't agree more with you, Cascade Hiker. This forum does tend to have a refreshing maturity! This is a very interesting thread, and I'll add my 2 cents for what it's worth! What do I do? Good question! I'm an Environmental Engineer. which means that I clean up all kinds of nasties in the water, soil, and air, but mainly just supervise, write and review reports, etc. I am also trying to get a writing hobby off the ground, and maybe even retire into it! My partner kids me that he doesn't know of any writer that makes it without putting pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard)! wink.gif
Cleans the environment and aspires to be a writer. I'm impressed. What type of writing? I have several unfinished short stories under my belt and have aspirations of writing a novel, but I fear the idea stage may sustain me and the actual writing of it won't. tongue.gif But I won't know until I try!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MounTAIN Woman

MounTAIN Woman
PostThu Jun 27, 2002 9:35 am 
I would like to write a compendium of short life experiences, ala Pam Houston, author of "Cowboys are my Weakness" and at least three other novels. I would also like to write thrillers that combine intrigue with the mountains and climbing. Right now, I'm just working on some features for Pack and Paddle. Everyone starts somewhere! I got a taste of it last year when Anne published my "High Thunder Traverse". My partner and I had a lot of fun assembling it, and then seeing it published! What do you aspire to write, Mcaver, and anyone else out there?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostThu Jun 27, 2002 9:40 am 
This goes along with my computer geek persona. tongue.gif Since late high school I've read mostly horror, fantasy and sci-fi, so those are the genres I tend to focus on. Most of my unfinished short stories are horror (ala Stephen King) and the novel I am creating a storyline for right now is epic fantasy in the vein of Lord of the Rings and the Thomas Covenant trilogies. I do have a few stories I've worked on outside of those veins though, including one I really want to finish that's sort of Kurt Vonnegut meets Chuck Rosenthal in small town Texas. dizzy.gif Considering how many hobbies I have (photography, hiking, computers, writing, reading, etc, etc) I don't do much writing on a week to week basis. I am knee deep in the storyline an backstory for the novel right now though, and have been for the last 6 months. Once I get all the intricacies worked out, I'll actually start writing it. I've filled up 2 notebooks of notes so far though.

MounTAIN Woman

MounTAIN Woman
PostThu Jun 27, 2002 1:40 pm 
Your ideas sound interesting and fun. I like Vonnegut, and used to read as much scifi as I could get my hands on in high school (over 20 yrs ago). I read mysteries and thrillers now. A client of my partner's is a Civil Engineer by day, and writes high-tech thrillers on the side. His third novel was published late last year. We all met for lunch last year, and among other subjects, we talked about writing. He says you really have to be disciplined, and write consistently, which like you, I have a hard time setting the time aside and being motivated to write at the same time! He sets aside an hour or two every day for his writing. He's a family man with his own business, etc. and must be very busy. His novels are kind of Tom Clancy like. I've only read the latest, and it was pretty good. Ok, you are inspiring me to get after it! Are there any other aspiring writers out there?

catwoman

catwoman
PostThu Jun 27, 2002 2:23 pm 
Well, sort of. Ideas have plagued me for years on what I'd like to write but I think I'm more in line to do some coffee-table type books now. In other words - picture books with my photography, based on different themes. I'm just trying to keep my head above water right now, so they're more or less on the backburner - but they ARE there!

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Jun 28, 2002 11:14 am 
I've also heard from several established writers (most recently in Stephen King's On Writing) that a true writer sets aside time to write every day, and then there's the old adage "A writer writes. Always.", but for me to do that I'd have to give up many of the other things I enjoy doing as well. I work on my stories constantly in my head and write down a lot of notes, but I haven't actually written a word of narrative in ages. For me, the story has be set in my head before I can start writing it. It's not completely immutable, but I need direction before I sit down to start the narrative. Plus, the more I spend on the development stage, the better the story becomes through evolution. That's how it seems to work for me, anyway. Photography is yet another big hobby of mine, moreso than writing, and takes a lot oif my time, but the enjoyment I get from it is definately worth the time invested. I don't have grand designs of become a published writer or photographer, although I'm certainly not averse to it. I do these things because I really enjoy them, not because I want to make a living at them. It would be great to be a professional, but part of me is afraid that turning a hobby into a career would take some of the enjoyment out of it. But I'll never know until I try, so one day I might. But for now, I'm happy just doing the things I enjoy as the whim strikes me. If I never make a cent doing them, I don't care. That's not why I'm doing it. Anything I make from it is icing. That aside, I do plan to submit my stories (if I ever finish any!) for publication and have a plan to offer printed photos from my website in the future. But I want to do things on my terms, if possible. Not being reliant on money from my hobbies gives me a lot of freedom and I am loathe to give that up. But if the opportunity arises, I'll probably dip my toes in the water at least. And as far as writing goes, I've found the biggest inspiration for me is talking to other writers about writing. smile.gif

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostFri Jun 28, 2002 12:35 pm 
I agree very much with what Michael just said here. Often I feel many people are in such a hurry to be published in what they do, either writing or photography. There is indeed a lot of satisfaction that comes with this happening and thus the push in seeing it become real. However, I always find it very strange why so many photographers I've met over the years all wish to "get enough of my photos published to let my hobby pay for itself!". Why? How many golfers feel they need to make enough playing golf to pay for thousands of dollars of lessons? Same for so many other hobbies. But the drive is so real to do this with the arts. Sure, I now am a photographer who gets ample projects published, and sure the money is nice to see coming in to offset years of "work" cost towards this end. And yes, it does make me feel proud when I see my work being used. However, I am by far more proud of my approach to doing this that started well over 10 years ago in becoming "published" through means that did not bring in money. By volunteering my art to non-profit organizations, to provide my work as contest raffle prizes, and many other means to get your work out there, my love for photography as a means to help educate people and do it's part in helping save our wild heritage grew, and I was able to learn so much about not only how to go about getting my work out there, but more importantly how I would fit in where. Aside of that, the contacts I created through this approach have paid me back greatly now that my work is being used for purposes that do bring in some money. Thanks for sharing your approach toward your hobbies, Michael. Keep up the enjoyment of things, and don't overlook the prospect of volunteering your creative minds for the good of who you can provide it to---the rewards will come in the end for doing so, I strongly believe.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Jun 30, 2002 1:20 am 
perils of writing
Ha! I'm already a published author - one contribution (on the Olney Creek Road) to Ira's new "Roads to Trails" guidebook. rolleyes.gif I'm also already a criticized author. Terry Wood, writing for the Seattle Times, had this to say about Ira's collection, "The writing is sincere but uneven. The account devoted to Olney Creek Road north of Sultan, for instance, reads more like a short story devoted to an injury suffered by the writer's dog." eek.gif That was the good part! I mean, Terry could have taken me to task for comparing my son to Clark Kent (I kid you not). Properly chastised, I have resolved to confine my writing to the pages of nwhikers. dizzy.gif I believe the appropriate line is, "Heeheehee!"

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
snag lady

snag lady
PostSun Jun 30, 2002 5:05 pm 
As for reading I still am willing to stand in a line to buy Stephen King's latest book and don't care that it is not great literature. Frankly, there isn't a lot of good literature (there is a lot of literature but not very much of it is good) and I am glad to see that many of you are aspiring writers. Does anybody read Somerset Maughn anymore or Thomas Wolfe? My main gripe with fiction these days in general is lack of characterization. I often end up not caring what happens to the characters in the book because I don't know enough about them. I am confused by the trend in popular fiction -- so many Clancy-type books (maybe I'm dense, I can't keep track of all his characters), so many murder mysteries, so many romances and/or bodice rippers. I walk into Fred Meyer where you can buy two paperbacks and get one free and I can seldom find any I want (I have yet to come up with two books on a shopping expedition) to buy. I like the writing of Rick Bass, Margaret Atwood, and Richard Hugo. Does anyone read poetry? I do like some of the writing on the market today -- I, too, love Pam Houston. She is not a great writer but I enjoy her -- it is impossible for a woman of any age not to identify with her writing -- a delicious combination of men, mountains, kayaking, and relationships. Like some of you, I wanted to write a novel and made a few attempts but I have no ear for dialogue or plot. Rambling too long again ... thanks to all for an interesting topic,

PostSun Jun 30, 2002 8:44 pm 
Does anyone read W. Somerset Maugham!? Yes, someone does. I have read all his work; some of them twice. I love Thomas Hardy, Steinbeck, Stephen Crane, Gunter Grass, Hunter S. Thompson (who wouldn't?); and the essential JD Salinger's work (over and over again). Have you ever read EP Roe? If perfect sentence structure and proper use of the English language is what turns you on, EP Roe (and Thomas Hardy) will do it. Steinbeck's "Cup of Gold," "Burning Bright," and "Pippin" are vastly different from his well-known (and wonderful) "Cannery Row." Poetry - Thomas Hardy, Stephen Crane, Edwin Markham, Whitman, James Whitcomb Riley ('Out to Old Aunt Marys'). Do I even need to name Shakespeare? I have college literature textbooks by the dozens. There have been (and still are) so many wonderful obscure poets throughout the ages, its impossible to name them all. Lay any olde or middle English ballad on me anytime, and I'll translate it. I'm not a literature snob - I do very much enjoy Larry McMurtry's "Anything for Billy," and I think Stephen King is wonderful. He hit the nail on the head regarding whatever thoughts are going through a 12 year old boys head in "Stand By Me." Not a lot of people can do that, boy. I mean he can really hit the ole nail on the head. I'm not kidding. And so what if a lot of people like mainstream writers? At least they are reading!

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostMon Jul 01, 2002 9:35 am 
I love Stephen King for his excellent characterization and dark sense of humor (like my own!). Most of his short stories are excellent, but his novels tend to run a bit long in my opinion, although my favorite is his longest -- The Stand. Stephen Donaldson is a favorite in the fantasy vein, particularly for his two Thomas Covenant trilogies, but all his stories are well worth the read. He has a sci-fi series called The Gap that I plan to read as well, but I'm in a fantasy mode these days. Tolkein is obviously a favorite as well, and I am overwhelmed by Peter Jackson's theatrical interpretation of the Lord of the Rings series thus far. For humor, I absolutely love Kurt Vonnegut, as well as 30's author James Thurber. There's also an obscure contemporary author named Chuck Rosenthal that writes along those same lines in his Loop Trilogy. As far as classics go, Hemingway's For Whom The Bell Tolls is one of the best books I've ever read. Recent reads: * On Writing, Stephen King's book on writing and what led him to become a writer * Reave The Just, a collection of fantasy short stories by Stephen Donaldson * Lord of the Rings trilogy by Tolkien (again) * autobiography of Ansel Adams Here's what's currently on my plate: * After The King, a fanstasy short story collection of authors perceived as the successors of Tolkien (including Donaldson) * re-reading of My Life and Hard Times by James Thurber * Conversations with Kurt Vonnegut, a collection of interviews I also scatter in magazines as they arrive: Outdoor Photographer, Balian's Photoworld, Backpacker, Washington Trails. I am always open to suggestions, although my reading time is limited due to the sheer number of interests I have and the fact I'm forced to work for a living. tongue.gif

MounTAIN Woman

MounTAIN Woman
PostMon Jul 01, 2002 3:11 pm 
Alan - your words are well said! I enjoy writing, and seeing my first article published in Pack & Paddle was incredibly rewarding! I don't expect any money, either, it's just going to be my "something to do" when I retire back from engineering (I'll probably always have to do something). I won't turn it down, though. smile.gif I also liked King's "The Stand" the best! If you are into Fantasy, the Anne McCaffrey "Dragonflight" series was good, if I remember.
snag lady wrote:
My main gripe with fiction these days in general is lack of characterization. I often end up not caring what happens to the characters in the book because I don't know enough about them.
This is my main complaint, too, but with a lot of the popular movies these days! It's no wonder, since they tend to be based on these very novels.

Erik the Nav

Erik the Nav
PostMon Jul 01, 2002 9:05 pm 
character, etc
My suggestions for character in fiction: _The Deed of Paksenarrion_, Elizabeth Moon. This is the book(trilogy) that re-awoke my interest in fantasy. Outstanding stuff. And most highly suggested in the work of Lois McMaster Bujold. I think she's won three Hugos now, but she seems strangely unknown by many SF fans. She's one of the saddest cases of 'people will miss this fine literature because they "don't read science fiction".' The obligatory 'aspiring writer' bit: I had a few freelance pieces published about ten years ago (doesn't seem that long ago). Political/Economic essays, mostly. Paid writing, and I do believe in have the value of your work recognized in $ - though there certainly times and places where that doesn't work or isn't appropriate. Often tell myself to get back to it. It's not likely to ever make a living, but it would be nice to get back to the focus required to write for sale. And of course I entertain the write fiction fantasy, too -- but I know it would take the discipline of time every day, and well, there's other things higher on the list waiting for some discipline to accomplish...

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostMon Jul 01, 2002 11:08 pm 
Thanks MounTAIN Woman--and I just read your Pack and Paddle article a day or two ago and it was fun reading! Another fun place to practice writing is to try to dig out any local newsletetter that might be getting created/published and propose a monthly column that you could create and write for them. No pay, but the contacts and rewards far outweigh the small fee you could get at that level, and will likely lead to greater things. And it's great practice to be on a montly schedule like that too! My example: living by Fall City I've hooked up with the lady who edits the local "Fall City Neighbors" newsletter that we put out each month. Over 1000 get printed now at 8-12 pages after is started as a small 100 run 4 page thing. As one of the two "columnists" that appear monthly, I contribute a column called "Natural Neighbors" where I highlight a wonder of the fauna or flora world that lives near us out here. One month it might be the incredible bobcat. The next, maybe skunk cabbage, then the next maybe the cool Western Alligator Lizard, and so on. It gives me an incredible outlet to share my knowlege of so many things that I've educated myself about in our natural world, and to share photographs as well. In return, it allows me a great small spotlight to present things to better educate those people around the area about things as well...hint hint, to better serve as a roll to save our wild heritage existing around us. I have in the last 15 months met SO many local people, from elderly folks that have lived here for 60 years to local business people who wish to showcase my photographs if they get a chance. Suddenly, while it is nice being known and to know so many around me, I'm a default case for more local projects w/o these people even looking elsewhere. This is just one example. Keep a creative open mind about showing what you can do! Oh, and if you are bored to death this month, you can read my speel about hiking to increase your viewing of wildlife in the July "Washington Trails" magazine. smile.gif

MounTAIN Woman

MounTAIN Woman
PostTue Jul 02, 2002 11:35 am 
Great ideas, Alan on other places to submit writing. I live near Issaquah, and maybe even the local Sammamish Review could use an occasional outdoors feature writer. I like the idea of submitting something on a periodic basis, giving me the regularity and discipline I need. I'll have to check out your article in my latest WTA mag - just got it the other day.