Forum Index > Trail Talk > pacific crest trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Pixi_shels
newbie hiker

Pixi_shels
newbie hiker
PostThu Sep 09, 2004 2:49 pm 
Hello, I am new here and glad I found a Washington State Hiking group. I am thinking about doing the
Quote:
" Pacific Crest Trails "
( Snoqumlie Pass to Canada )in late May early June. I have printed out some information on the trail. I haven't read it yet, but I will later. Has anyone done that trail? What kind of weather am I looking to catch? I noticed I need premints. How much do premints cost? What are the permits for? Also order to do this hiking am I suppose to let someone know? Where in Canada does it end? Anything information that anyone can help me with let me know. I am taken my time getting myself ready to do this hike. Thanks Shels

Also FYI: My grammar SUCK ASS, but I am working at it. wink.gif Thanks Shels
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostThu Sep 09, 2004 3:01 pm 
There are no permits required for the PCT, unless things have radically changed since last year. Camping spots are all over the place. The trail has an easy grade to it - no really steep ups and downs. May/early June means you're going to be traveling in alot of snow. I'm not sure about southern Wa, but definitely around Snoqualmie pass and north the area isn't melted out until late June/mid July. You are aware that the PCT around Glacier peak had to be re-routed due to last October's storms? The Napeequa is a hairy ford in the best of times (fall, first thing in the morning), but in May you might find some solid snow bridges. Crossing the Chiwawa river will be your next major hurdle (if you're lucky a log jam will still be there). Weather wise, expect anything from rain to snow that time of year. Sometimes you get lucky and find a sunny weather window, but not usually. The nortern end of the trail is in Manning Park.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
blue_tuberosa
Uber Geek

blue_tuberosa
Uber Geek
PostThu Sep 09, 2004 3:16 pm 
I just wanted to echo what jenjen said about the snow issue. The stretch from Ridge & Gravel Lakes to Watson Pass/Park Lakes is pretty hairy in the early season w/ lots of slippery snow shoots and it's a loooong waaay dooown. If you're comfortable with an Ice Axe etc... then I'm sure you know what you're getting into, but I had a fairly sketchy experience up there at the end of June this year. [Think: hanging from tree branch after snow disappeared from under my feet]. Good news though... there is a crew at work as we speak (type) rebuilding the trouble spots between Ridge/Gravel and Lemah Creek.

Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done. - Justice Louis Brandeis
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Sep 09, 2004 3:42 pm 
I suggest you read the information before tapping anyone for questions. I don't mean to sound like a bitch, but elementary questions such as "do I need a permit and where does it end in Canada" smack of a joke.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostThu Sep 09, 2004 4:45 pm 
ditto.gif WAY TO EARLY IN THE SEASON. huh.gif

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
Pixi_shels
newbie hiker

Pixi_shels
newbie hiker
PostThu Sep 09, 2004 6:21 pm 
thinks for the help! up.gif I guess I will wait until late june early july. The permits questions: I read it online that i need to have a permits entering Canada three months before the hike. I have the info in front of me. I am just double checking on this info. No you didn't sound like a bitch, I never seen the map where trail ended until a few hours agos. I figured I would get answers before looking at the map. Silly me hockeygrin.gif Another question: does anyone know how many miles it is to hike from The Pass to Manning Park? I looked and I just see the WHOLE 2665 trail miles the three week hike.

rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostThu Sep 09, 2004 6:37 pm 
Pixi_Queen wrote:
Has anyone done that trail? What kind of weather am I looking to catch? I noticed I need premints. How much do premints cost? What are the permits for? Also order to do this hiking am I suppose to let someone know? Where in Canada does it end?
I did that section in late Aug/early Sept '99. That was the big snow year, which delayed opening the whole route all the way. Needed an ice axe over Fire Creek Pass that year, even that late. I would not suggest doing it any earlier than August for several reasons: - Scary creek crossing under Mt Daniel (can be avoided but not as ) - Some of trail not brushed out yet - Some of trail under snow, snow can be hard as a rock at that time of year - Avoid worst bugs - Usually better weather (not this year) - Meet thruhikers doing same thing. Permits free at Snoqualmie Pass trailhead, they are used to monitor trail usage. Let friends know, check in at the big road crossings. You'll need food drops there anyway. Ends at Manning Park (7 miles from border crossing). YOu can take a Greyhound bus from there to US major cities. Do some searching on the 'net for thruhikers doing the PCT. There is lots of info.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Sep 09, 2004 6:46 pm 
My book adds up to around 262+ miles-Snoqualmie to Manning. Check out *The Pacific Crest Trail* Vol 2 by Schaffer & Sellers. Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Pixi_shels
newbie hiker

Pixi_shels
newbie hiker
PostThu Sep 09, 2004 7:00 pm 
Greyhound bus
Quote:
YOu can take a Greyhound bus from there to US major cities.
Greyhound no longer goes to " the pass". They stopped going there on Aug.13th. I went to Denny Creek two weeks before it stopped. So Greyhound is no longer an option.

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostThu Sep 09, 2004 8:01 pm 
I imagine that you've found it by now, but check out the Pacific Crest Trail Association's website, as there's a wealth of information on the site. As well as journals written by those on the trail. And although the copyright is 1996, this website looks informative too. Just remember that last winter's storms damaged a large section, as folks have already mentioned. I'm envious! You will most definitely have an amazing time. up.gif Some day I hope to attempt the trail in total.

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Pixi_shels
newbie hiker

Pixi_shels
newbie hiker
PostThu Sep 09, 2004 9:14 pm 
Thanks for the website of "Pacific Crest Trail Association's", but that is where my confusions of the permits came from. Other then that, I have found that website every helpful and I have printed out alot of things too. However, I am planning on getting the book about the hike. I am just not sure when I should go now. LOL one say waiting until late june/july, someone say late Aug/ early sept. I guess I will figure it out once it gets here. wink.gif Thanks Shels

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostThu Sep 09, 2004 9:31 pm 
A lot of the timing for doing the PCT just has to do with what kind of winter we have. If it were me doing the hike, come June I'd be paying attention to where the snow line is and make my final plans accordingly. The timing also depends on what you want to see in the meadows. July will bring wildflowers, rushing streams, and full waterfalls. August/September will bring huckleberries, calm water crossings, and all shades of gold and russet. October will bring the lowest water levels of all, possible snow, and the larches in their fall glory. The trail is gorgeous in all of these seasons.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
blue_tuberosa
Uber Geek

blue_tuberosa
Uber Geek
PostThu Sep 09, 2004 10:03 pm 
Pixi_Queen wrote:
I am just not sure when I should go now. LOL one say waiting until late june/july, someone say late Aug/ early sept.
I was just sayin' that late June was when I had my scary slip in a critical spot... I'd consider late June and early July to be way too early. Like she said... watch the snow levels in June... also consider that there are fewer buzzing, biting, bastards after July.

Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done. - Justice Louis Brandeis
rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostFri Sep 10, 2004 6:00 am 
Unless you are very familiar with how to self-arrest with an ice axe, do not consider hiking the trail until mid-August.

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl
PostFri Sep 10, 2004 10:53 am 
and if you aren't travelling in snow... chances are you'll be travelling in rain. Bring waterproof gear... and no cotton. Ever. Trust me... you'll be a whole lot warmer and drier without cotton. Wear polyester, fleece, wool. You'll be nice and warm that way. I seem to always get stuck in the rain...