Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > KIRO-TV, 9/19, 9pm, "Cold Facts About Our Warm Planet"
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostTue Apr 01, 2008 6:56 am 
RodF - I'm not real sure what you are asking but please let me clarify if I can. The Energy Balance Equation is nothing more than a formula to match the colored chart I provided earlier in this thread. You didn't have any questions then, so just what are you asking now and why? We're not talking about Venus, we're talking about climate change on earth; so stop trying to change the subject. The volatility suggestion is in the fact that the different elements in the equation are multipliers. But this is tempered by the fact that earth's temperature has remained relatively constant in spite of far greater changes to the other factors throughout its long history (e.g.: changes to CO2 concentration and earth's reflectivity through glacial advances). The relevance of the energy balance equation is not in putting specific numbers to the variables; it's in recognizing that the amount of energy the earth receives is in equilibrium with the energy it reemits. Reread my posts, I never said it was all you need to know, I said it was all you need. In other words, the global warming debate is framed by this equilibrium and any potential changes to it. Any computer modeling or other attempts to show future increases in temperature must be balanced by equivalent changes in this equation. So to have the global average temp. rise on a level suggested by the latest assessment report would require earth's ability to dissipate heat to drop by the same proportion to the fourth root.

Footprints on the sands of time will never be made sitting down.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RodF

RodF
PostTue Apr 01, 2008 2:16 pm 
MtnDog, you've made grandiose in this thread about the significance of this equation in the context of a discussion of the greenhouse effect. I don't understand those claims. Do you understand the physical assumptions inherent in this simple equation? If so, list them. Key question: what is the difference between Te, the effective temperature in this equation, and the actual measured temperature? Again, numbers might be helpful.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 6:37 am 
RodF: The point of bringing in Earth's energy budget and the energy balance equation to the discussion is that it helps "frame" or limit the grandiose claims of AGW. It shows how any changes to the earth/atmosphere system affect other elements in the system. So when the assessment reports state that there is a likelihood that temps could rise 6-10°C under the right scenario you can see that in order for that to happen then earth's reflectivity and/or dissipation of heat must change rather drastically (assuming solar radiance stays constant). And in order for that to happen we would have to change the concentration of the trace greenhouse gases radically (far more than doubling CO2, which will only change temps by about 1°C). The equation is theoretical and assumes that the earth is a single point of constant temperature as one spherical, radiative body when actual measured temps are averaged across the globe in the hopes of getting something representative and comprehensive. This has been a concern in the past but with newer, more accurate equipment I think scientists are now getting a handle on the reliability of their temperature data and are able to 'fill in the blanks' better than before. It is interesting, nonetheless, to compare actual temps to proxy data for the last 100 years and see how small the discrepancy is.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 7:26 am 
Mtn Dog, your "theoretical" equation is meaningless, as is your 4W/m2 mantra. What we have to do is explain things like .......
........ the 1.2 million square km reduction in Arctic sea ice. Not try to prove they're impossible. In fact, your equations can't tell us any more about the limits of what global warming may bring than they can explain what's already happened.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 12:48 pm 
Scrooge: No one I know disagrees with the fact that the earth is getting warmer. The question was never whether Global Warming is or is not happening, it was whether the warming we are experiencing is caused at least in part by human activity and if so, to what extent. Science can explain what has already happened and regardless of Global Warming being anthropogenic or natural, humans are obligated to adapt the changes it brings (some will be positive and other changes will be negative). The 4 W/m2 is the quantity by which a doubling of pre-industrial CO2 levels will increase the Greenhouse Effect. But there are other natural and human causes that can change earth's temperature as well. You've made a correlation between rising CO2 and rising temperature as if one is automatically causing the other. All I'm asking is for you to tell this story with numbers. How does CO2 cause a rise in temperature and by what amount for a given change in concentration? I've already done most of the homework for you. As for the Arctic Sea Ice it's my impression that this last winter restored the ice back to somewhat typical winter levels. The only reason it was even newsworthy is because the area of the usual summer season melting was quite extensive in 2007.

RodF

RodF
PostFri Apr 04, 2008 1:06 am 
MtnDog, it appears from your reply that you no idea what physical assumptions are made in deriving the simple equation* you posted:
Mtn Dog wrote:
Here's all you need: S/4 (1 - ∝) = ε σ Te^4 If you learned how to multiply and divide you can figure out how much energy affects the earth via the sun and the greenhouse effect.
The right side of this equation is the rate of radiative heat loss from a body into space assuming there is NO ATMOSPHERE (or if there is, that it is perfectly transparent to radiation, both incoming and outgoing). This equation assumes there is NO GREENHOUSE EFFECT. The difference between the "effective" temperature Te calculated by this equation and the actual measured average temperature T (or more precisely, the fourth root of the average of the fourth power of the temperature) is a rough estimate of the greenhouse effect. The results are given in many introductory lectures and texts: Venus: T 743 K - Te 230 K = 513 C greenhouse effect Earth: T 288 K - Te 256 K = 32 C Mars: T 223 K - Te 218 K = 5 C Note that although Venus is closer to the sun, it reflects so much light (albedo 0.76 vs 0.30 for Earth) that it actually absorbs less solar radiation than does Earth, and has a lower Te.
Mtn Dog wrote:
The 4 W/m2 stems from calculating the heating that would result from doubling CO2 and is reflected in ε.
Climate sensitivity is NOT reflected in the value of the emissivity ε. (A simple climate sensitivity can be derived from changes in both albedo and emissivity, not from their values.)
Mtn Dog wrote:
In other words, if the Greenhouse Effect changed ε by a factor of ten the resulting temperature would change by only a factor of ~1.8.
Again, this statement doesn't make sense. The equation you've given ASSUMES THE GREENHOUSE EFFECT DOES NOT EXIST, and under this assumption, uses the ACTUAL MEASURED infrared emissivity ε to calculate a theoretical "effective" temperature Te. However, for the purpose of discussion, we can imagine instead inserting the actual measured average temperature, and calculating a theoretical "effective emissivity" εe. That is what you were actually writing about here, without apparently realizing it:
Mtn Dog wrote:
ε is a function of how efficiently the earth dissipates heat. This includes the atmosphere where water vapor and CO2 along with other trace gases reduce the heat loss of the planet through the Greenhouse Effect.
This statement appears to represent a profound misunderstanding of either (a) how the greenhouse effect works, or (b) the Stefan-Boltzmann equation, because these are mutually exclusive. Any object which has a greenhouse effect violates the fundamental assumption (object radiating freely into space) underlying the Stefan-Boltzmann equation. Even though each element of Earth's surface and atmosphere obey S-B separately, together, they do NOT. The "effective emissivity" εe is a property of an imaginary, nonphysical object which "bends" the laws of physics. Nevertheless, we can calculate εe / ε for fun... Venus 0.0092 Earth 0.63 Mars 0.91 As one can see for Venus, εe is far smaller than ε, as would be expected because clouds extend to high altitudes and are much colder than the surface. The value we computed above for Earth is in accordance with textbook results (see Table 3 calculated with the correct equation (not yours!) for a simple single-pane greenhouse model with average cloud cover. That's what the greenhouse effect does: dramatically decreases the "effective emissivity". It is important to realize that εe is NOT a actual physical property of the planet's surface, nor of its atmosphere, but of the system. Its meaning is something like "if we measure the infrared radiation coming from the cold top of the clouds, it's similar to a theoretical warmer blackbody at the temperature of the planet's surface if that theoretical object had much lower emissivity". This is clearly not the meaning assumed in your comments.
Mtn Dog wrote:
This equation suggests that earth's temperature is highly volatile...
For the third time, I simply do not see this at all; please explain.
Mtn Dog wrote:
doubling CO2... will only change temps by about 1°C.
This is not only incorrect, but is in no way supported by your (mis)understanding of this equation.
Mtn Dog wrote:
You've made a correlation between rising CO2 and rising temperature as if one is automatically causing the other. All I'm asking is for you to tell this story with numbers.
You would be better advised to seek the answer to your question in any good text on climatology, or in the IPCC Report, or on a university or government educational website, such as NASA's. If you prefer the "big picture" overview, go for the best, James Hansen's presentations. If you find measurements more convincing than models of climate sensitivity, please at least examine Figures 3 and 4 of this presentation by Hansen. There's your 4W/m2 observed in the climate record; not a prediction: observations. Explain that away!
Mtn Dog wrote:
How does CO2 cause a rise in temperature and by what amount for a given change in concentration? I've already done most of the homework for you.
You've done "most of the homework"? You've posted an equation which ASSUMES THERE IS NO GREENHOUSE EFFECT, and assert it can somehow be used to compute climate sensitivity of the greenhouse effect? That is an utterly baffling assertion. Please explain. Standing back, its just very sad that you choose to waste untold hours posting what appears to be nonsense here, when you could have learned far more about this than it appears you have so far in just a few hours reading any good textbook on climatology. What a waste! * When you copied out this equation, you used ∝ for albedo. That's nonstandard, likely an error; I bet that was a script-a for albedo. rolleyes.gif

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostFri Apr 04, 2008 9:37 am 
Here's an article that discusses why we can't take atmospheric temp readings, even over the course of year, to mean a whole lot. We need to either take a very long term view of what's happening to atmospheric temps--like over many decades--or we need to start taking temperature measurements of all the earth's bodies of water at different depths AND temps of the crust. We don't have that data going back hundreds of years like we do for the atmosphere, so even if we were to start taking those measurements today, we would not have the historical record we'd need to determine the direction of a trend (if any). The article discusses the current La Nina and its effect on atmospheric temps. It's obvious that we don't have enough data on oceanic temps and that's why we will just have to wait a few decades to see how the AGW things plays out. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7329799.stm

It's never too late to have a happy childhood
Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostFri Apr 04, 2008 6:43 pm 
Larch: Thanks for posting that link. I was going to post it myself. WaMtnGal can check it out for a better description of the effects of La Nina this past season. I know the warming trend relies on more than one year of data but it is interesting to see how drastically El Nino and La Nina affect earth's climate and both are natural phenomena. It's also interesting to see how a La Nina event can practically erase what was projected to be a 10 year warming trend (1998 to 2007).
RodF wrote:
The right side of this equation is the rate of radiative heat loss from a body into space assuming there is NO ATMOSPHERE (or if there is, that it is perfectly transparent to radiation, both incoming and outgoing). This equation assumes there is NO GREENHOUSE EFFECT.
No, RodF, the Greenhouse Effect is reflected in ε. If ε were'nt included in the equation then the right side would reflect earth's energy output without an atmosphere (the left side is of course earth's energy input). Again, I don't care about Venus or Mars but the commentary on Venus' albedo was quite fascinating, so thanks for sharing. Check out the activity on the right side of page two: Clouds and the Earth's Radiant Energy System (CERES)
RodF wrote:
However, for the purpose of discussion, we can imagine instead inserting the actual measured average temperature, and calculating a theoretical "effective emissivity" εe. That is what you were actually writing about here, without apparently realizing it:
Mtn Dog wrote:
ε is a function of how efficiently the earth dissipates heat. This includes the atmosphere where water vapor and CO2 along with other trace gases reduce the heat loss of the planet through the Greenhouse Effect.
It is important to realize that εe is NOT a actual physical property of the planet's surface, nor of its atmosphere, but of the system. Its meaning is something like "if we measure the infrared radiation coming from the cold top of the clouds, it's similar to a theoretical warmer blackbody at the temperature of the planet's surface if that theoretical object had much lower emissivity".
I understood this all along - it's a function of the system, not the system's components per se.
RodF wrote:
You've done "most of the homework"? You've posted an equation which ASSUMES THERE IS NO GREENHOUSE EFFECT, and assert it can somehow be used to compute climate sensitivity of the greenhouse effect? That is an utterly baffling assertion. Please explain.
I think you're missusing the term "climate sensitivity." Climate sensitivity refers to how the earth's climate system responds to a rise in radiative heating from changes to the Greenhouse Effect (e.g.: increased greenhouse gases). This includes the positive and negative feedbacks I mentioned earlier and is now at the heart of the dispute over AGW. Climate sensitivity is the amount of temperature change that would result from a specific rise in radiative heating. You're mixing two different things here. The energy balance equation reflects the energy entering and leaving the earth/atmosphere system. But it can't be used to compute the change in radiative forcing that would result from a doubling of CO2 concentration in the atmosphere. You're link provides really good information about the process in general as well as more specific details regarding the radiative heating that would result from a theoretical doubling of CO2 concentration. The conclusion says:
Quote:
Conclusion CO2-mediated greenhouse warming is the dominant mechanism responsible for global warming over the past three decades. If present CO2 output trends continue atmospheric CO2 could more than double from its current level by the end of this century. A doubling in CO2 level would produce a forcing of about 3.7 watts m-2 according to equation 27. With λ = 0.76, the value obtained with the simple model considering all feedbacks, the predicted temperature increase would be 2.8ş C. This value falls comfortably within the 2.2-3.9ş C value predicted from more sophisticated models.
This is exactly right on for forcing, 3.7 W/m2 but high for the temperature increase that would result. The models have been overestimating the temperature change because they have been placing too much emphasis on positive feedbacks and not enough on negative feedbacks. A recent correction was requested by climatologists that were skeptical of the results, they had their dissent peer reviewed by two separate colleagues, and their points have since been included in a revision to the models. What I like about your link is it incorporates changes in solar radiance as well as the negative effects of CFC's, which have been reduced in the latter part of the 20th century. More to come shortly, and let's please keep this enlightening and friendly. I don't want to stop learing on this and appreciate what you've contributed so far so lets not make this personal or about each other. agree.gif PS: Albedo, in the equations I've seen, is the lower case Greek character Alpha. That's the best ASCII symbol I could find on short notice.

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostFri Apr 04, 2008 7:08 pm 
I am still in awe of La Nina and El Nino and how they affect our climate. I read somewhere that when there is a very intense La Nina, it can bring about an El Nino (I think this was on the wikipedia page for La Nina). Wonder if that will happen this time.

Opinions expressed here are my own.
RodF

RodF
PostFri Apr 04, 2008 10:31 pm 
Mtn Dog wrote:
No, RodF, the Greenhouse Effect is reflected in ε. If ε were'nt included in the equation then the right side would reflect earth's energy output without an atmosphere (the left side is of course earth's energy input)... Check out the activity on the right side of page two: Clouds and the Earth's Radiant Energy System (CERES)
Quite incorrect, but hats off to you for an artful dodge, as expected! Yes, this equation is appropriate "For the Classroom Grade Level: 9-12". Applying it to a planet with a greenhouse effect, as you were in your goads at Joker, clearly violates basic physical principles. I'd argue that obscuring this is perhaps passable for a Grade 9 exercise, but certainly not for Grade 12. And it is certainly not passable for the purposes you claimed this equation could serve. I've repeatedly asked you to substantiate each of a half-dozen specific, unsupported claims you made for this equation when goading Joker. You have answered none of them, again as expected based on past conduct, which is in direct contradiction of your claimed standards:
Mtn Dog wrote:
Mutual respect in a discussion relies on answering questions as they arise and backing up claims made, not subterfuge and end arounds...
If you wish to live up to those standards, then either answer them, or better than continuing to ignore them, straightforwardly withdraw them and apologize to Joker. Live up to your claimed standards.

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostSat Apr 05, 2008 7:28 am 
It seems I've seen repeated claims that Mtn Dog's assertions show a lack of the knowledge from any "basic climatology textbook". Would anyone like to recommend any specific climatology textbook(s) which would demonstrate this? It would be interesting to see if/how Mtn Dog is contradicting basic conventional climatology.

Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostSat Apr 05, 2008 8:19 am 
Yeah, Conrad, I'd like to see that too. RodF never responded to my point on pages 20 and 21 of this thread. In fact, it was the links in his posts then that confirmed the heating that would result from doubling CO2 that I had also been saying. The energy balance equation reflects the fact that the earth/atmosphere is not a perfect absorber of ultraviolet energy from the sun (Alpha) and also not a perfect emitter of infrared energy back to space (Epsilon). RodF is speaking of energy balance for a perfect black body, which the earth clearly is not. I'm not going to get into who is or isn't smart enough about this to know where the disagreement remains. Everyone can figure this out for themselves if they read enough and learn about what is, and isn't going into the climate modeling. But RodF, you're not making any sense now. How are scientific equations OK for high schoolers but somehow inaccurate for higher level science? It seems you're trying to advance an argument through complicated jargon with the hopes of appearing as if you actually know what you're talking about but again, just like page 21, you've failed to answer the questions I've asked and also failed to rebut the facts I've presented.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat Apr 05, 2008 12:35 pm 
Mtn Dog tells it like it is.
..... CLUB .....

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
RodF

RodF
PostSat Apr 05, 2008 1:23 pm 
Mtn Dog wrote:
RodF is speaking of energy balance for a perfect black body, which the earth clearly is not.
Please read what you've just posted! Please think it through! The equation which you posted is valid only for a blackbody (or greybody, for albedo < 1). The right half of the equation is the Stefan-Boltzmann law emission, valid only for a blackbody. However, as you now finally grasped, the Earth is NOT a blackbody. Its greenhouse effect is a GROSS violation of the assumption, inherent in the Stefan Boltzmann term, that the body is freely radiating into space. In fact, the Earth's surface recieves MORE radiated power from downwelling infrared radiation from the atmosphere than it does from the sun! This is entirely missing from your "all you need to know" equation. It should now be clear to you that this equation is not valid for the purposes you claimed for it when relentlessly goading Joker: that properties of the greenhouse effect can be derived from an equation which is valid only if the greenhouse effect does not exist! Hello?

Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostMon Apr 07, 2008 1:23 pm 
RodF - The Wikipedia link you posted explains it all:
Quote:
The real Earth does not have this "gray-body" property. The terrestrial albedo is such that about 30% of incident solar radiation is reflected back into space; taking the reduced energy from the sun into account and computing the temperature of a black-body radiator that would emit that much energy back into space yields an "effective temperature", consistent with the definition of that concept, of about 255 K.[3] However, compared to the 30% reflection of the Sun's energy, a much larger fraction of long-wave radiation from the surface of the earth is absorbed or reflected in the atmosphere instead of being radiated away, by greenhouse gases, namely water vapor, carbon dioxide and methane.[4][5] Since the emissivity (weighted more in the longer wavelengths where the Earth radiates), is reduced more than than the absorptivity (weighted more in the shorter wavelengths of the Sun's radiation), the equilibrium temperature is higher than the simple black-body calculation estimates, not lower. The Earth's actual average surface temperature is about 288 K, rather than 279 K, as a result; global warming is an increase in this equilibrium temperature due to human-caused additions to the greenhouse gasses.
The earth is not a perfect black-body, in fact it's not even a perfect gray-body (where emissivity = absorptivity). The original equation didn't include emissivity and therefore could only be used for theoretical black-bodies. The absorption and emission variables have been included to account for these effects on their respective side of the equation (and both are a factor of 1). As the Greenhouse Effect increases, less infrared energy is emitted to space thereby raising the effective temperature of the planet. The system must remain in equilibrium so any change to the earth's emissivity would be reflected as a change in effective temperature. It was never my intent to goad anyone on this thread. The energy balance equation helps explain the equilibrium that earth's climate system operates under and how changes to the Greenhouse Effect in turn are compensated by changes in effective temperature (by a power of four).