Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > mills in Oregon and Washington continue to target old growth
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
solo_dance

solo_dance
PostWed Feb 20, 2008 8:47 pm 
Federal Judge Vacates Bush Bid to Undercut Northwest Forest Plan http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/jan2006/2006-01-11-05.asp

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Feb 20, 2008 9:34 pm 
Replaced the cut and paste with a link. Looks like a 2 year old news story. Also, will delete your new account so you can go back to posting as pest.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Feb 20, 2008 10:14 pm 
Thanks Tom.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Feb 21, 2008 6:47 am 
Not taking the bait. It might be a nice and sunny day today too nice for that stuff..... cool.gif I planted 30 trees the other day out on my place, and after seeing how they do...deer, light, brush....Survival, will plant a couple hundred more. Pseudotsuga Menziesii and Thuja Plicata. You? redface.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
LizzyBob

LizzyBob
PostFri Feb 22, 2008 9:00 am 
I've planted thousands of Larix occidentalis, Tsuga mertensiana, Tsuga heterophylla, Abies lasiocarpa, Pinus contorta contorta, etc. Not sure, though, what that has to do with this article?

"Diamonds are a girl's best friend my arse. A girl's best friend is a stout pair of tramping boots. Umm, maybe it's a nice reduction sauce. Urrr, perhaps it's a nice pub just down the road. OK, so it's really all three. But freakin' diamonds?!"
LizzyBob

LizzyBob
PostSun Feb 24, 2008 8:12 am 
I await enlightenment...

"Diamonds are a girl's best friend my arse. A girl's best friend is a stout pair of tramping boots. Umm, maybe it's a nice reduction sauce. Urrr, perhaps it's a nice pub just down the road. OK, so it's really all three. But freakin' diamonds?!"
RodF

RodF
PostWed Feb 27, 2008 8:39 pm 
Fact Check?
"Mills in Oregon and Washington continue to target old growth"? Let's Fact Check that: Log consumption — by diameter in inches (thousand board feet, Scribner scale) 21" and more: 399,051 10" to 20": 1,749,808 5" to 10": 2,237,801 less than 5": 194,411 Sources of Logs: Private Forests: 70.2% Tribal Forests: 14.7% State Forests: 11.4% National Forests: 1.5% Other: 2.0% Source: WA DNR, WA State Mill Survey 2004, Statewide Summary, Table 11. So the average log purchased by Washington mills is less than 10 inches in diameter (easy for automated mills to process), is from private land, and the price premium for larger logs is now small in Oregon and has completely disappeared in Washington state. Fact Check score: down.gif

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Bald Hornet

Bald Hornet
PostWed Mar 05, 2008 12:22 pm 
RodF's post would confirm my experience. I had some trees to sell for harvest awhile ago. I took bids from lots of log buyers. They all told me one thing: The mills that handled logs over 36" (inches) in diameter (at the butt), have all been closed in Washington and Oregon. No one wants to buy those logs. Can't mill 'em. Just my experience of the market.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Mar 05, 2008 1:33 pm 
Bald Hornet wrote:
RodF's post would confirm my experience. I had some trees to sell for harvest awhile ago. I took bids from lots of log buyers. They all told me one thing: The mills that handled logs over 36" (inches) in diameter (at the butt), have all been closed in Washington and Oregon. No one wants to buy those logs. Can't mill 'em. Just my experience of the market.
There is a mill in Washougal that takes up to 48"? Can't think of the name now. It has a hyphen in it though.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Bald Hornet

Bald Hornet
PostThu Mar 06, 2008 6:33 am 
Thanks, treeswarper! None of mine are that big though. 42 inches max, I think. But thanks for the info! hockeygrin.gif up.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Mar 06, 2008 1:35 pm 
The name of the mill is Columbia Vista.

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostThu Mar 06, 2008 2:05 pm 
We had to have a 60+ inch Ponderosa taken down a few years ago (right next to our home and center rot). They took it to a mill somewhere east of Omak-might have been on tribal land. Very sad to lose that that tree as a giant. I counted 400 rings on a slab 20 feet above the ground.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Mar 07, 2008 10:01 am 
BeyondLost wrote:
We had to have a 60+ inch Ponderosa taken down a few years ago (right next to our home and center rot). They took it to a mill somewhere east of Omak-might have been on tribal land. Very sad to lose that that tree as a giant. I counted 400 rings on a slab 20 feet above the ground.
Did you watch? I love seeing the big ones go down. I don't get to much anymore... frown.gif What was really fun, but not good for the lumber recovery was seeing a faller launch a big tree off a rock bluff. They sailed pretty good. Then I would have to chew them out for breaking wood. Everything is pretty well shut down here at least until the snow melts more. I'll have be satisfied with watching Axe Men on Sunday night if I can stay awake that long. The commercials for it make me think they staged some stuff. We shall see.... Rootrot makes us firewood, for next year.
rootwad0001
rootwad0001
25bd20001
25bd20001
25bd40001
25bd40001

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostFri Mar 07, 2008 11:54 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Did you watch?
Yes, and impressive but scary. Lloyd Logging took it down and the entire Lloyd family including the 80+ year old patriarch came out to watch. They had not seen a tree this big in many years. Problem was the lean toward the house and rot so severe they really did not want to be up on it taking it in sections. One of the younger guys climbed to about 60 feet to attach a heavy cable which was connected to a large dozer maybe 75-100 yards away. As they did the cuts the dozer operator goosed it like crazy and it fell at a 20 degree angle from the house. There was a collective sigh of relief and cheer. The ground does shake when a giant like that is felled! They could only put one section on each truck to transport it. I had forgotten exactly the diameter but went back to the receipt I got and the first transported segment at 20 feet above the ground was 66 inches and more at the base of course.

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostFri Mar 07, 2008 12:16 pm 
There's also a guy I bought some walnut from in Bellingham who has a horizontal bandsaw that can mill trees up to 60" wide. He primarily uses it to cut up stock specifically of interest to woodworkers.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.