Forum Index > Photography Talk > Evening Photography
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostThu Mar 06, 2008 1:40 am 
With a crappy day at work the first thing I did when I got home (after eating some dinner) was to grab my camera and head downtown Seattle. It was a nice relief to learn my camera some more and forget about a terrible day. I noticed a little mouse and he stopped long enough just a few times so I could get a few pics (he was cornered and scared eek.gif ) When I left he booked off and found some of the food left around in the grass and such.
Market sign with the SBC cup sign in the foreground
Market sign with the SBC cup sign in the foreground
One of the signs at the Pike Place Market in downtown Seattle
One of the signs at the Pike Place Market in downtown Seattle
Hwy 99 Viaduct
Hwy 99 Viaduct
Messing around with shutter lengths
Messing around with shutter lengths
Here little mousy
Here little mousy
Little mouse I saw scurrying around looking for food
Little mouse I saw scurrying around looking for food

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostFri Mar 07, 2008 7:02 pm 
I love Evening!
Sahale Evening
Sahale Evening
Big Four Evening
Big Four Evening
Eldorado Peak in Evening
Eldorado Peak in Evening
White Horse Evening
White Horse Evening
SnowBoarding Time!
SnowBoarding Time!
Part of Hall Peak
Part of Hall Peak

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostFri Mar 07, 2008 9:43 pm 
Wow Bryan. That looks exactly like the mouse I let out of my house last night in Forks. He sure moves fast. I wonder if he took the ferry or swam?

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSat Mar 08, 2008 2:05 am 
Nice shots. Bryan. The viaduct looks a lot better at night. Based on Josh's photos, I've decided I've been mistaken to put the camera away when it gets dark. I'd like to get some late evening shots of some of the peaks like that.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSat Mar 08, 2008 11:41 am 
the tripod is my friend
I like how each star has its own colour. this image was gently manipulated for Levels, otherwise it is "as is"
I like how each star has its own colour. this image was gently manipulated for Levels, otherwise it is "as is"
spying on the lights near Mystery Chair, from the hill leading to Brockton Point
spying on the lights near Mystery Chair, from the hill leading to Brockton Point
playing
playing
Woodfibre Mill in Squamish will be closing in January 2006, with the last staff finishing at the mill in March
Woodfibre Mill in Squamish will be closing in January 2006, with the last staff finishing at the mill in March
star traces
star traces

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSat Mar 08, 2008 10:57 pm 
seawallrunner wrote:
the tripod is my friend
playing
playing
star traces
star traces
These are wonderful! I wish I had a tripod! I just use my backpack or find a near by rock depending on if it is snowy or not and use a 2 second timer.

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSat Mar 08, 2008 11:14 pm 
thank you Josh! And do get a tripod. you can orient your camera slightly up, slightly down, even out the horizon, etc... my long exposures were really long in the star traces. The image of shuksan was 13.73 minutes long, but the image of star traces over ross lake (the fifth one) was 87 minutes long. nearly flatted my battery, too. good thing I had the recharger for the battery in my car. basically I get to camp, let the sun go down, finish dinner, find a quiet dark spot, set up my tripod and set my camera to Manual/Bulb, set the lens to infinity, set the aperture to f/8 or somesuch, set ISO to 100, then press on the remote shutter and wander back to see my friends while the camera does its thing. after some time, I return to the camera and press the remote shutter again to stop the capture, then let the camera do its internal processing. *that* takes almost as long as the image capture sometimes, esp when I have my settings on 'sharpen' 'noise reduction' and 'saturate'.

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostSat Mar 08, 2008 11:54 pm 
seawallrunner wrote:
I've never seen anything like this before, seawall. What an amazing picture.

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSun Mar 09, 2008 12:45 am 
seawallrunner those pictures are unbelievable!!!!!!! I am so glad that I now have a DSLR so I can attempt to get great shots like that.

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostSun Mar 09, 2008 1:39 am 
That picture is still amazing me, seawall. I just showed it to my 15-yo daugther. First thing she asked, "Is it real?" I told her it was, and how you took it with an 87 minute exposure. She was truly impressed. So am I.

Gil

Gil
PostTue Mar 11, 2008 5:26 pm 
Reeaaalllllyyy nice, Seawall!

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostMon Mar 31, 2008 1:05 am 
Evening sky with a little bit of foreground
Evening sky with a little bit of foreground
Evening sky with foreground
Evening sky with foreground
Eastbound on I-90 from Seattle with Bellevue lights visible left center
Eastbound on I-90 from Seattle with Bellevue lights visible left center

Jason Hummel

Jason Hummel
PostWed Apr 02, 2008 10:33 am 
I'm very new to night shots but here's most of what I've done so far:
I plan on taking many more this year. I can't wait!!!

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostWed Apr 02, 2008 2:06 pm 
Love the night skies with the stars, both the trails and the pinpoints. What kind of exposure did you use for the pinpoint stars?

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Jason Hummel

Jason Hummel
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 2:08 pm 
Matt wrote:
Love the night skies with the stars, both the trails and the pinpoints. What kind of exposure did you use for the pinpoint stars?
Hey, matt, I shot these with a few seconds. This may be more than you are asking for, but since I am just learning maybe this will help others???? Since I don't get a chance to shoot many of these kinds of shots, I'm a hack, but when I do a night shot again (so much time to think about it when at work), as I have so much fun trying (even if I'm not ubber thrilled with all my results so far cept for a few), I would start with a few seconds, then start adding them on. Start with 2, then 6, then 12, 15 or whatever. Camera's goes to 30. Once I reach 30 and I still don't get anything, I turn the camera to manual and use the timer. One thing I still have to play around with is the f-stop. It seems like you want to keep it really low (2.8) for long shots, but I think that on shorter stuff, maybe keeping the f-stop at 8 or more would be better? I still have to test this theory. One thing I made a mistake with was the dark shot, a second shot that my nikon takes when you take shots longer than several seconds (you have to opt for this). It helps get rid of the damage that affects the corners. But doubles the length of the shot. So if I put 30 min, I had better let the timer end and then wait another 20-30 min. That's about max for the battery. I think there are ways you could take several shots and then piece them all together? I would like to learn more about this? I bought a book on digital stuff, but it wasn't very good for day or night shots. I would like to get something for night shots specifically. But, that takes away from the fun of learning too up.gif I like failing and then figuring something out on my own. Anyhow, random thoughts. I'm not happy with my nikons night shots as most get a red tinge on the corners if they are longer than 20-30 seconds, but in the two years I've had my camera, I've only done a set of night shots less than 10 times and 6 attempts are above. I have a lot more attempts to come. doh.gif Here's one other:
I kind of like this one. I would love to get some like seawallrunner, bryan or any of the others.