Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Olympic NP GMP Released
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RodF

RodF
PostSun Mar 16, 2008 5:38 pm 
The Olympic National Park Final General Management Plan/Environmental Impact Statement (Final GMP) has been released. The Final GMP establishes a vision for managing Olympic National Park for the next 20 years. Park News Release. This plan has been in the works and out for public comment for several years, so contains no surprises. Most Park facilities will continue to be managed as they are now. Summary article. Major initiatives are land acquisition near Lake Ozette, Lake Crescent and the Queets, which would require Congressional authorization and funding. It's also a goal to relocate Kalaloch Lodge and nearby sections of Hwy. 101 back further from the beach. News article. The Park will now begin drafting a wilderness management plan. Plans. This is likely to be contentious, as there are differing viewpoints on whether historic sites and structures should be conserved in Park backcountry, on whether its unique prairie ecosystems should be maintained by fire as they have been for millenia, and on whether its trailheads should remain accessible for climbers and hikers...

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Mar 16, 2008 8:21 pm 
RodF wrote:
The Park will now begin drafting a wilderness management plan... on whether its trailheads should remain accessible for climbers and hikers...
I have not even looked at the links and I'm pissed. I totally forgot that there are people who would deny access to our public lands for climbers and hikers. curse.gif mad.gif rant.gif guns.gif

HurlGurl
Wildernested

HurlGurl
Wildernested
PostSun Mar 16, 2008 8:57 pm 
Anyone going to read it all?
Whew, two volumes / 950 pages. I can only wonder what the fine print is saying?

At the end of Theodore Roosevelt's presidency in 1909, his fiery eldest daughter, Alice, buried a voodoo doll of new First Lady Nellie Taft in the White House lawn.
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostMon Mar 17, 2008 11:20 am 
The fine print says: "We are finding new and ingenious ways to restrict access to the Park with people barely noticing the change." After a point in time, a new generation will forget their forefathers could once drive to the Hoh Rain Forest, drive to Kalaloch, camp at Ozette Lake, visit Olympic Hot Springs resort, camp at Elkhorn, camp at La Poel, stay in a cabin at Ruby Beach, follow maintained trails and actually run into a shelter here and there, cross a bridge at Enchanted Valley, ski at Deer Park, etc., etc. All in good time my friends, all in good time. Be patient.

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostMon Mar 17, 2008 11:36 am 
The "fine print" also suggests that our parks and public lands are receiving less and less funding every year, leading to the closure of access points.

Opinions expressed here are my own.
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostMon Mar 17, 2008 2:19 pm 
HG, Unless I'm reading things incorrectly, the park has chosen Alternative D (Preferred Alternative). This was the issuance of their decision - the GMP. A Record of Decision will be filed after 30 days. The comment period is over.

Opinions expressed here are my own.
HurlGurl
Wildernested

HurlGurl
Wildernested
PostMon Mar 17, 2008 2:40 pm 
wamtngal wrote:
HG, Unless I'm reading things incorrectly, the park has chosen Alternative D (Preferred Alternative). This was the issuance of their decision - the GMP. A Record of Decision will be filed after 30 days. The comment period is over.
LOL! of course, I must have gotten a bit lost in time there this morning.. thanks! Of course this means I have more reading, catching up to do.. who gives final approval, after they get the wilderness management plan drafted, Congress yes? maybe I go see if some editing is in order..

At the end of Theodore Roosevelt's presidency in 1909, his fiery eldest daughter, Alice, buried a voodoo doll of new First Lady Nellie Taft in the White House lawn.
RodF

RodF
PostMon Mar 17, 2008 2:43 pm 
HurlGurl wrote:
Anyway, I looked into the alternatives for the Dosewallips entrance into our national park since it is the one I use the most...
Just to clarify for other readers, the washout which has closed the Dosewallips Road since 2002 is in Olympic National Forest, not in the Park. Olympic National Forest is about to issue a draft Environmental Impact Statement on reopening the road, as previously discussed here. Olympic National Park always favored reopening the road. Funds to reopen the road would not come from National Forest or Park budgets. This is a project of the Western Federal Lands Highway Division of the Federal Highway Administration, which is funded by our gasoline excise taxes.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva