Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Earth Hour - 8 PM Tonight
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
leaveno

leaveno
PostSat Mar 29, 2008 8:16 am 
http://www2.earthhourus.org/ On March 29, 2008 at 8 p.m., join millions of people around the world in making a statement about climate change by turning off your lights for Earth Hour, an event created by the World Wildlife Fund. Earth Hour was created by WWF in Sydney, Australia in 2007, and in one year has grown from an event in one city to a global movement. In 2008, millions of people, businesses, governments and civic organizations in nearly 200 cities around the globe will turn out for Earth Hour. More than 100 cities across North America will participate, including the US flagships–Atlanta, Chicago, Phoenix and San Francisco and Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver. We invite everyone throughout North America and around the world to turn off the lights for an hour starting at 8 p.m. (your own local time)–whether at home or at work, with friends and family or solo, in a big city or a small town. What will you do when the lights are off? We have lots of ideas. Join people all around the world in showing that you care about our planet and want to play a part in helping to fight climate change. Don’t forget to sign up and let us know you want to join Earth Hour. One hour, America. Earth Hour. Turn out for Earth Hour!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSat Mar 29, 2008 4:26 pm 
I get to stay an extra 3 hours at work so I can turn all the emergency lights off for an hour. What will I do during that hour? I will be on the computer with my headlamp on lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSat Mar 29, 2008 4:37 pm 
my plan was to photograph again a couple of places I photographed last week between 8pm and 9pm but right now it's ***snowing*** in downtown Vancouver and sticking. the streets are a mess!! whatever I do, I'll have the lights, tvs, etc turned off at home!

Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostSat Mar 29, 2008 7:41 pm 
I'll turn out the lights, but the stereo stays on! You can take my music over my dead, globally warmed body biggrin.gif

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
Karen

Karen
PostSat Mar 29, 2008 8:12 pm 
I have everything turned off except the computer and I have a small battery operated lantern nearby in case I need to get up and move. I am thinking of going outside and just standing in the dark and listen to the snow fall. The cats are confused. I was making shadow monsters for them on the wall (by using light reflected from the lantern). Just think of how dark and quiet the world was once upon a time..... Karen The streetlights are still on but most of them burned out a long time ago so there are only a few. It looks like the setting for an Edgar Allen Poe story outside from the porch. Most of the neighbors have left their lights on.

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat Mar 29, 2008 8:19 pm 
It's a very nice gesture, but there are many other things that would make a better impact, such as demanding change, voting appropriately, and living greener the rest of the hours of the year. Not participating 'cause I just got home from work, I'm hungry and want to cook something to eat, visit with the cats, do laundry, and pack for tomorrow's hike. I'm driving a V6 over a hundred miles for a fairly short road walk (3 guesses). Not very green, I admit; but I never said I was. It is cool though, and tomorrow the newspapers should have satellite photos of the darkened areas of our planet to see. (they might be showing 'em somewhere now, but I'm too lazy to check).

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Mar 29, 2008 8:37 pm 
I just noticed that every light in my house was on. embarassedlaugh.gif Off now, though. up.gif I think the idea is pretty cool, though I agree not particularly effective. I like that anyone can participate, even kids. "Look, mommy, I turned off a light to save the planet. Now will you take me to McDonald's in the Excursion to get some beef raised in clear-cut rainforest?" embarassedlaugh.gif

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Mar 30, 2008 12:33 am 
I went without power for 7.5 days after the December 2007 windstorm. That's the equivalent of 180 Earth Hours. I'll start participating in the year 2189. tongue.gif

leaveno

leaveno
PostSun Mar 30, 2008 12:39 am 
Awareness... ...knowledge. The conversation and a shared tealight candle was a fulfillment for both of us.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Mar 30, 2008 6:43 am 
Dane wrote:
I'll turn out the lights, but the stereo stays on! You can take my music over my dead, globally warmed body biggrin.gif
Now there's something that would be worthwhile to have, an hour of, QUIET. Forget the lights, let's try for a few hours of QUIET. When I have to go to the city, I just can't figure out how people manage to live there with all the noise and I could really rant about the bass stereo thing. Luckily for our community, only a couple of kids can afford such a thing, and when one was driving about with it going at night, a crafty adult stopped him and threatened to shoot him if he continued to abuse the ears of the community, so we don't have that problem here. I agree that with all the power outages I've "taken part in" I shouldn't have to turn everything off so I can experience what it is like to have no power.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities