Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Canada Lynx in WA need our help now
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
silence

silence
PostThu Apr 24, 2008 10:28 am 
This just in from Conservation NW -- The Rarest Cat Needs Our Voice Canada lynx in Washington are still losing ground -- their essential habitat. The good news: US Fish & Wildlife Service recently released a habitat plan for lynx recovery. A federal judge determined that an earlier version was politically tainted and required revision. The bad news: this new plan doesn't go as far as this beautiful shy cat needs. Particularly important in northeastern Washington State are lands in the Columbia Highlands in the Kettle River Range (including the Wedge) and Selkirk Mountains (Little Pend Oreille and Salmo-Priest). But, we can make a difference. The agency is currently accepting comments on its revised habitat plan for Canada lynx recovery. Please send a comment by April 28, 2008. Go here to see a sample letter (but in your own words plez): http://www.conservationnw.org/wildlife-habitat/revised-habitat-plan-for-lynx#sample-letter Here to submit it online: http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspublic/component/main?main=SubmitComment&o=09000064803cf6fb BTW: critical habitat designation does not prevent management activities, such as logging, from taking place in lynx habitat, but it will require a biologist be at the table when land-use decisions are being made — a simple and sensible step for recovery of the rarest of the three wild cat species remaining in Washington And FYI: Washington State Fish & Wildlife biologist Gary Koehler is one of the country’s leading experts on lynx. WSFW is fully committed to the recovery and conservation efforts of this rare and threatened species: http://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/diversty/soc/recovery/lynx/lynx.htm Want a little more background info first? Go here: http://www.conservationnw.org/scat/lynx-short-changed-in-wa

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostThu Apr 24, 2008 10:47 am 
I am happy to see the designation around our property in the upper Methow. Yes, we do see lynx there but sightings are rare. I have seen lynx 6 times in 9 years. We see lynx tracks on our property quite regularly as they come through hunting in the night. This was published in the Methow Valley News last week.
Quote:
Lynx critical habitat designation considered By Joyce Campbell The deadline for public comment is April 28 on the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service revised proposal to designate about 2,000 square miles in Okanogan and Chelan counties as critical habitat for Canada lynx. The endangered cat stands to gain more than 42,000 square miles of federal critical habitat protection in six states, from Maine to Washington, more than 23 times the area proposed for protection in 2006. Five square miles of privately owned land are included in the protected area in Okanogan and Chelan counties. Most of the 2,000 acres are federal and state-managed lands. Private landowners should not see any changes in their land management, according to Tom Buckley at the USFWS in Spokane. "Requirements for consultation on critical habitat do not apply to entirely private actions on private lands," said Buckley. The agency has been criticized for excluding areas that it had identified as core areas for lynx in the southern Cascades, the Kettle River Range and the Selkirks. Only the North Cascades are included in the proposal. "After identifying lands needed for recovery, the Fish and Wildlife Service excluded many areas that will be essential to long-term lynx survival, and failed to include several regions where lynx currently live, such as the Kettle River Range," said Dave Werntz, scientific director of Conservation Northwest. "For the next 20 to 25 years, the lynx are critically imperiled, and just about anything you do puts them closer to the brink," said George Wooten, a Twisp supporter of Conservation Northwest. To view the summary or entire proposal, go to: www.fws.gov/policy/library/ 08-779.html Public comments will be accepted until April 28. Comments may be mailed to Division of Policy and Directives Management, USFWS, 4401 N. Fairfax Drive, Suite 222, Arlington, VA 22203 or by electronic access at www.regulations.gov .

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Apr 24, 2008 4:15 pm 
I'm sorry, but my opinion is this is just another nail in the coffin for rural areas and folks who live there trying to make ends meet. A good thing for people who want to move and have second homes in "wilderness". But a bad thing that seems to be inevitable for rural folks. No, it officially won't stop "management activities". It'll add yet another restriction to all the other restrictions making any logging even the lightest touch, economically unfeasible. Let me see, here's how it works. Jan 1 to ? Bald eagle nesting--no work March 1 to at least July 1--Spotted owl might be in area but not known for sure but just in case--no work. April ? to August--Might could be a Marbled Murrelet around--no work until August then you can't start up til 2 hours after sunrise and must stop 2 hours before sunset. August thru October--Usually have to go to hootowl hours or shutdown due to fire danger. October to end of year--Rainy season, protect fish, no work. December to April 1--Winter range restriction, no work. Actually, they might as well go ahead cuz the season is pretty much filled up with restrictions. Doesn't the Lynx like to live in Lodgepole pine? Aren't the lodgepole stands pretty much mature and dying from the beetles? The next step is a stand replacement fire. Save the lynx from that? Go ahead. I think I'll take up a different line of work, like carpentry to help build the rural McMansions.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
MadCapLaughs

MadCapLaughs
PostThu Apr 24, 2008 6:00 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Go ahead. I think I'll take up a different line of work
Your best idea yet. You can't seem to see any of these issues in any other terms than employment and commerce. I do empathize with having a career under threat, but there are bigger, more important things then how we make money.

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostFri Apr 25, 2008 6:51 am 
MadCapLaughs wrote:
I do empathize with having a career under threat, but there are bigger, more important things then how we make money.
Who was it who said, "Everything before the but is a lie"?

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
silence

silence
PostFri Apr 25, 2008 7:52 am 
ok guys .. let's not get personal here plez The lynx (Lynx canadensis) is the rarest of three cat species native to Washington probably numbering fewer than 100 individuals in the state. Most of the lynx habitat in the 6 Lynx Management Zones is on federal lands (~92%), and almost 40% is in wilderness, parks and other reserves. Prior to 1947, lynx in Washington were classified a “predatory animal” with a bounty of $5. Lynx were trapped or hunted until 1991 when a decline was readily apparent. It now seems clear that the lynx population in Washington could not sustain perennial exploitation due to the fragmented nature of subalpine-boreal habitats, low density of snowshoe hares, and variable quality of habitat through time. The lynx was listed as a state threatened species in 1993, and became a Threatened species under the federal Endangered Species Act (ESA) in April 2000. -- WDFW

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Apr 26, 2008 6:59 am 
It is very personal. Not necessarily the lynx, but the combination along with all the other stuff. Oh well, we'll become another "mountain" town because some rather well off show biz folks from the South have moved here. Shoulda kept the singlewide just to annoy them.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
MadCapLaughs

MadCapLaughs
PostSat Apr 26, 2008 1:48 pm 
kleet wrote:
Who was it who said, "Everything before the but is a lie"?
You did, just now, when you shamelessly called me liar. shakehead.gif

silence

silence
PostSat Apr 26, 2008 7:23 pm 
treeswarper .. i empathize with your situation -- honest .. and just meant no "name calling" or insinuations about a person's character -- as i was seeing things leading that way and wanted to nip it in the bud wink.gif i sincerely hope we can manage the lynx recovery fairly for all concerned .. in my opinion this extremely rare cat does have a right to its natural habitat .. and at the very least needs the protection afforded under this plan to help with that -- esp in light of the info i shared above. anyway i certainly appreciate your input .. as we should be exposed to all sides and all opinions here. thanks smile.gif

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostSun Apr 27, 2008 8:35 am 
treeswarper, I think you are missing a vitally important point. The lynx have no voice. You have a voice, which you are using. If people do not look out for creatures, who will? You, at least, can do something about your situation. Look at it from a different perspective, perhaps.

Opinions expressed here are my own.
GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer

GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer
PostWed Apr 30, 2008 4:14 pm 
Survival of the fittest....man...we need think about ourselves also....

"Those who go up the mountain must come down....except me" AKA spylunker...."See you at the top"
silence

silence
PostWed Apr 30, 2008 4:19 pm 
GlacierGlider wrote:
Survival of the fittest....man...we need think about ourselves also....
geez .. check the facts ... might help if it was a level playin field

GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer

GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer
PostWed Apr 30, 2008 4:25 pm 
Eveolution is proof after 2 million years we are at the top, other species will just have to cope. LOL...I knew I would get a response....in reality I believe that we should do everything in our power to save any species that is in danger. We have populated and ruined this planet and now we have to fix it. But we still need to take everything else into consideration. i think the whole thing about logging is just stupid....just stop the logging in WA all together and let nature take it course...trees have ar ight to live also. The Lynx are a cool animal I did a paper on them and think that we should do everything needed to ensure the species survives.

"Those who go up the mountain must come down....except me" AKA spylunker...."See you at the top"