Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > New report on refuges paints bleak picture
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostFri May 23, 2008 8:55 am 
More good news mad.gif http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/N/NEGLECTED_REFUGES?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US Report says nation's wildlife refuges underfunded ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) -- America's wildlife refuges are so short of money that one-third have no staff, boardwalks and buildings are in disrepair, and drug dealers are using them to grow marijuana and make methamphetamine, a group pushing for more funding says. "Without adequate funding, we are jeopardizing some of the world's most spectacular wildlife and wild lands," said Evan Hirsche, president of the National Wildlife Refuge Association and chairman of the Cooperative Alliance for Refuge Enhancement. (snip) A decrease in law enforcement has left the refuges vulnerable to criminal activity, including prostitution, torched cars and illegal immigrant camps along the Potomac River in suburban Washington, D.C.....and pot growing operations in Washington state.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostFri May 23, 2008 9:38 am 
Dave Workman wrote:
pot growing operations in Washington state.
I am sure that it is just for medicinal purposes.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri May 23, 2008 12:07 pm 
Quote:
staff, boardwalks and buildings
Could someone tell me why we need this in a wildlife refuge? Isn't the purpose of those areas to give wildlife a chance to live without predation & harassment by man?

mike

mike
PostFri May 23, 2008 12:12 pm 
Quote:
Isn't the purpose of those areas to give wildlife a chance to live without predation & harassment by man?
Not necessarily. Hunting is permitted in many refuges.

Schroder

Schroder
PostFri May 23, 2008 12:19 pm 
Quote:
Hunting is permitted in many refuges
That's news to me. Then what's the purpose of a refuge? You look back at their creation by Teddy Roosevelt and that's what they were created for - to stop hunting in primary nesting areas.

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostFri May 23, 2008 6:47 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Quote:
Hunting is permitted in many refuges
That's news to me. Then what's the purpose of a refuge? You look back at their creation by Teddy Roosevelt and that's what they were created for - to stop hunting in primary nesting areas.
Hunting has been going on in refuges for generations. This is not a news flash.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostFri May 23, 2008 7:26 pm 
http://www.fws.gov/hunting/wherego.html 317 units in the National Wildlife Refuge System that are open to hunting.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri May 23, 2008 8:37 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Quote:
staff, boardwalks and buildings
Could someone tell me why we need this in a wildlife refuge? Isn't the purpose of those areas to give wildlife a chance to live without predation & harassment by man?
Maybe you've heard of people? They might like to look at some of the wildlife they are protecting.

Klapton

Klapton
PostFri May 23, 2008 8:42 pm 
reststep wrote:
Dave Workman wrote:
So... Is this supposed to be bad?

Oarboar
Comically unhip

Oarboar
Comically unhip
PostFri May 23, 2008 9:00 pm 
Slugman wrote:
Maybe you've heard of people? They might like to look at some of the wildlife they are protecting.
Yup yup. This might horrify you, Schroder, but Nisqually Wildlife Refuge is a great break to take on I-5 when I have the time. Sadly, I haven't been able to do that the last half-dozen times I've visited my mom in Longview.

Sadly, right now I'm a poseur. Sigh.
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostSat May 24, 2008 7:20 am 
Klapton wrote:
reststep wrote:
Dave Workman wrote:
So... Is this supposed to be bad?
Alas, Klapton, growing dope is currently illegal. And unfortunately, the people growing it surreptitiously in the woods and on the refuges are a bunch of dangerous ba$tards, and that can be real bad for some poor schmuck who happens on one of the operations.

Schroder

Schroder
PostSat May 24, 2008 7:09 pm 
Quote:
Have you ever heard of a boat? We don't need to provide for Joe tourist to go look at some ducks. Is this what you would advocate in a wilderness area too? I'd rather see the millions spent on visitor's centers spent on fixing a few roads and trails instead. I wasn't implying people shouldn't be allowed on a wildlife refuge - I've been to many, including one of the most spectacular I've seen at Swan Quarter, North Carolina. I meant that I see no need for them to be developed - paved parking lots, visitors centers, staff, paved trails, etc.. What seems to be the bigger issue in the press release is a law enforcement issue (Prostitution in a wildlife refuge?)

yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostSun May 25, 2008 11:48 pm 
Quote:
Have you ever heard of a boat? We don't need to provide for Joe tourist to go look at some ducks. Is this what you would advocate in a wilderness area too?
Speaking for "Joe tourist", Yeah we do. It's our land and that's what it's for(in many cases...birding). Many portions of wildlife refuges aren't designated Wilderness so should not be managed as such. A lot of people can't afford boats and over the years people within the federal government thought it'd be swell if people who didn't own boats could look at waterfowl and other birds too. A paved road, blind and other bird viewing areas can be less disruptive to birds than boats or hikers. At Ridgefield Wildlife Refuge (if I remember correctly) in parts they want you to stay in your car so as to not disturb the birds during some seasons. Boardwalks allow people to view wildlife without getting sucked into swamp mud and damaging fragile wetland plants. Each federal Wildlife Refuge has a different management objective. Some were set aside to preserve habitat for an endangered species (first was TR and the plumes). Others were set aside to set aside to preserve wetlands for migrating waterfowl so we can shoot at them, with compatible activities like birding and hiking permitted. Wikipedia is always questionable but I think this History of the Wildlife Refuges is pretty good. The Fish & Wildlife Service better keep up on law enforcement. We don't want wildlife refuges in Alabama and South Carolina to become like the highway rest stop in the movie "Something About Mary"! Or else F & W agents will have to go undercover to bust Larry Craig lol.gif

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin