Forum Index > Trip Reports > Kickin' and Klickin' at Kaleetan Peak via Melakwa Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostWed May 28, 2008 9:59 am 
Excellent trail report and pictures, I'm starting to enjoy the antics of the two little wolves that hike with you. PS, I am referring to the Whippets.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
yukon222

yukon222
PostWed May 28, 2008 10:00 am 
Hi SlowWalker, No, we didn't peak over the north side of Melawka Pass so I don't know if there was a large cornice there. The ski tracks that dropped down from Bryant Col traveled north up the valley. Since we did the high ridge route, we didn't see their (or anyone else) tracks again until just before the summit. I suppose it is possible a couple of the skiers didn't turn up the gully route and continued north over Melawka Pass. Steve

SlowWalker
Perma-grinner

SlowWalker
Perma-grinner
PostWed May 28, 2008 10:30 am 
That's cool. I was thinking of this view from the top when I asked:
Melakwa Pass and Chair Peak Lake from the summit of Kaleetan
Melakwa Pass and Chair Peak Lake from the summit of Kaleetan
(Oct 2007)

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostWed May 28, 2008 1:38 pm 
My fear of heights kicked in about then, so your picture was as close to that as I got. The whippets were a little braver than me, but they didn't inform me of any cornices. embarassedlaugh.gif

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostWed May 28, 2008 3:20 pm 
Schmidt Alti-Babe wrote:
My fear of heights kicked in about then, so your picture was as close to that as I got. The whippets were a little braver than me, but they didn't inform me of any cornices. embarassedlaugh.gif
yet you crossed the scary steep part? love your TRs - very detailed with excellent photos! outrageous and EPIC for sure!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
SlowWalker
Perma-grinner

SlowWalker
Perma-grinner
PostWed May 28, 2008 3:52 pm 
Hey, the skiers you mentioned posted a TR of their outing, too. They did ski over the north side of Melakwa Pass.

twodogdad

twodogdad
PostWed May 28, 2008 10:46 pm 
Impressive humans, even more impressive dogs. I tried to follow in your footsteps yesterday (thanks, Yukon, for the detailed directions) but got intimidated by some very dark clouds which engulfed Kaleetan in mid-afternoon so I turned back at the 5700 cairn. Hard to imagine how you coaxed Kief and Row into following you up the "scary" steep. (I knew that when Steve says steep ridge he means steep so I left my boys at home.) Did you lose a water bottle on the approach to Pt 5700? 2dd

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostWed May 28, 2008 10:51 pm 
We did lose our Nalgene during one of Jeremy's numerous butt luges. That boy is addicted to butt luging. hockeygrin.gif lol.gif No coaxing necessary with the whippets. They have some serious 4WD capabilities that puts us all to shame. stun.gif

twodogdad

twodogdad
PostWed May 28, 2008 11:16 pm 
nalgene bottle
I won't be tnabbing tomorrow (or this weekend) but next week I should be able to join you and return it to its rightful owner. Looking forward to your next TR, 2dd

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostWed May 28, 2008 11:35 pm 
This was an amazing trip with great photos!!!! up.gif up.gif Thank you for sharing. Probably the most amazing thing was that the very next day you knocked off another 3500 feet. Truely in a class by yourselves. Simply amazing.

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
BlaineKinnebrew

BlaineKinnebrew
PostFri May 30, 2008 11:21 am 
Kaleetan - Round Trip Time
Hi, Great post with great photos! What was your time from car to summit to car? Thanks, Blaine

Blaine Kinnebrew
yukon222

yukon222
PostFri May 30, 2008 11:32 am 
We didn't leave the winter parking area (about 1 1/2 miles from summer TH) till around 9:15-9:30am. Arrived at Melakwa Lake about 12:30? Hung out there for a bit. I think we were up on the summit around 2:30pm so perhaps 5hrs up with the routefinding and avi evaluations. We weren't concerned about the overall time as we had planned on using all the daylight anyway, with plenty of stops for pictures. Up on the summit for 30-45 minutes. Back at the car about 9pm. So roughly 5 hrs up, maybe 4 1/2 back down. Sections going back down were slower than going up as we had to downclimb a few of the really steep areas. I don't have my pics here at work, else I could look at the EXIF data and give you exact transit times. This time of year with travel over soft snow, plan on all day. Not sure of exact distance but around 13 miles would be close and 5800'+ elevation gain.

BlaineKinnebrew

BlaineKinnebrew
PostFri May 30, 2008 11:41 am 
Thanks!
Thanks for the beta!

Blaine Kinnebrew
Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostSun Jun 01, 2008 9:30 pm 
Schmidt Altitude wrote:
As we were climbing up the hillside towards Hemlock Pass, we came to a small run-off creek with a cascade above us. The boot path in the snow crossed over the creek so that is what we did. We followed the snow prints until we came to an exposed, rocky cliff face. It was then that we remembered mbgriffi telling us to stay right of the waterfall doh.gif . Instead of backtracking, we free climbed about 20 feet and then made our way back over to where we should have been.
Hey guys, it's not so bad, follow me!
Hey guys, it's not so bad, follow me!
Ha! You didn't listen and you made the mistake of following our footprints to the scramble. Oh well sometimes it just too easy to follow the steps. Good seeing you guys out on the trail again. Great trip report as always and the photos are awesome. That last bit up Kaleetan is STEEP!