Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Horse dookie on the trails.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Lyon

Lyon
PostFri Jul 18, 2008 12:08 pm 
I was wondering why it isn't mandated for horses to have the bags on the back end to catch the waste. If anybody could enlighten me on the reason for the current policies I would appreciate it. Also what would it take to change the status quo.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostFri Jul 18, 2008 12:39 pm 
Lyon wrote:
I was wondering why it isn't mandated for horses to have the bags on the back end to catch the waste.
Because it's just horse poop, and horses are long-time, established users of the trails. I guess most hikers don't consider it enough of a problem to try to create such a mandate which would inconvenience the horse people.

Lyon

Lyon
PostFri Jul 18, 2008 12:46 pm 
I was mainly thinking of high use areas. I was up in the Wallow lake area and when you have people paying for horse rides the first 4 miles get pretty thick after a month of that kind of traffic. Outside of that area I really don't have anything worth complaining about. As far as an inconvenience goes I figured it would be similar to "leaving it how you found it". While this argument wouldn't work and has no need to be applied in previous decades when usage would be minimal from tourism but I think that especially in high use areas it should start to be a concern.

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostFri Jul 18, 2008 1:28 pm 
Lyon wrote:
I was mainly thinking of high use areas...
No argument from me on that point. I've been up most trails in the NE Wallowas and I don't remember being annoyed by the poop, but I think I've heard of other hikers who were annoyed.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Jul 18, 2008 1:45 pm 
Conrad wrote:
Lyon wrote:
I was wondering why it isn't mandated for horses to have the bags on the back end to catch the waste.
Humans should be made to have bags on the back to catch waste. They're disgustinger than horses. I'm pretty sure that commercial enterprises on public lands need to apply for an obtain a permit. There may be mandates on them, but not on the general public regarding their horses. Check with the land manager to see if the commercial enterprise at Wallowa does have a cleanup mandate. For public use, perhaps check with the local horsemen organization and see if they have annual workparties scheduled in the area you're concerned about. There are more foot hikers that do have rules that don't follow them; to me that's more of a concern, but what're you going to do?

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostFri Jul 18, 2008 2:06 pm 
Quark wrote:
Humans should be made to have bags on the back to catch waste. They're disgustinger than horses.
Yeah, let's do somethin' 'bout all them hoomins jes' walkin' along with them thar bare butts hangin' out, poopin' on the trail! rant.gif

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostFri Jul 18, 2008 6:08 pm 
Been there, done that...
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jul 19, 2008 7:15 am 
With the ornery horses I had as a kid, I can just see it. Welcome Rodeo Fans! Our first event is acclimating Old Snuffy to a poop catching bag. Will the rider stay on for 8 seconds? Get real, all you need is a bunch of dogs to eat the poop up and barf it in the tent at night.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Jul 19, 2008 7:23 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Get real, all you need is a bunch of dogs to eat the poop up and barf it in the tent at night.
Bringin' back some memories (fortunately not the "in the tent at night" part, though...

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSat Jul 19, 2008 9:17 am 
Let's put them on the birds too. lol.gif

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostSat Jul 19, 2008 9:39 am 
Quark wrote:
Humans should be made to have bags on the back to catch waste. They're disgustinger than horses.
my thoughts exactly... im more disgusted by human waste and garbage than I am by animal poop.

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jul 21, 2008 9:55 am 
I'll oppose any attempt to change the status quo. This practice of continually fractionating user groups and pitting one vs another is getting out of hand. I don't ride, by the way.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
luckylily

luckylily
PostMon Jul 21, 2008 1:39 pm 
horse poop breaks down very quicky.. all it is is grass.. give the pile a kick and it will break down even faster...

luckylily

luckylily
PostMon Jul 21, 2008 1:41 pm 
Also.. check into the backcountry horseman.. most areas have a local chapter and they do TONS of trail maintence in most areas..... trust me, its worth the poop.

Josh Cowart
hiker/fisherman

Josh Cowart
hiker/fisherman
PostTue Jul 22, 2008 12:17 pm 
dont mind the poop. Actually think it can help keep the trail in better shape. Those horse people are keeping a lot of the longer trails open for us. They sometime carry saws and cut out branches and trees. They are a much more effective lobby group too, im told.