Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trapped on Spire Point
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RichP

RichP
PostWed Aug 27, 2008 11:33 pm 
I heard on the new that some climbers are stuck on an 18 inch ledge on Spire Point. They apparently dropped their climbing gear. A long cold night awaits for these poor folks. I wish them a safe trip home.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostWed Aug 27, 2008 11:37 pm 
KOMO news story

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Aug 27, 2008 11:57 pm 
God bless, and good luck to the two of them.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Snow_Knot

Snow_Knot
PostThu Aug 28, 2008 12:36 am 
They are in for a long night, in a tight spot. Wishing them the best of luck.

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?" Well, I think so, Brain, but "apply North Pole" to what?
Jason Hummel

Jason Hummel
PostThu Aug 28, 2008 7:45 am 
That's certainly not a place you want to be stuck! Hopefully they stay well. Not good conditions right now. Not at all.

stacymarie

stacymarie
PostThu Aug 28, 2008 8:12 am 
this is the third story in as many days of someone needing to be rescued. This being my first real year of hiking, is this a normal thing or are people just going up unprepared? In any case, god speed to these guys up there.

life is short, but sweet for certain my website: www.lostintheecotone.com
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostThu Aug 28, 2008 8:18 am 
I think partly it's a hard year to be prepared for since the weather has been so unusual. I've already been snowed on this month and had to retreat into my sleeping bag three times well before sunset! August is normally the month where you can go fast and light. Who knows what happened in this case though? There aren't many details yet. I hope they get through alright.

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostThu Aug 28, 2008 8:32 am 
Not again. Don't they have weather reports where these people live?

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Aug 28, 2008 8:34 am 
It's also the ready availability of cell communication and media frenzy - we hear about each incident. To me the 3 Fngrs one wasn't a huge deal, but riding on the coattails of the snow cave, the media's ears are perked up. This stuff has always happened and folks in the teens' situation on Three Fingers in the BC (Before Cell) era just sucked it up and walked out all through the night. Not to say this recent incident or any other one involving SAR didn't warrant SAR - I would think that in the days BC more folks probably died as a result of these incidents. I had an exchange with a rescue ranger last year who expressed a little bit of frustration with the reliance of cell service and SAR calls, rather than honing skills and judgment. We also agreed that nowadays the mindset is a little different; lots of pride and self-gratification drives people to try fantastic epic journeys to tell all their freinds about; rather than turn around and admit they were beat, they call SAR so they can say, "see? it was soooo bad that we had to be rescued!" Immediate gratification trumps learning and perfecting skills at a slower pace. I saw a little of the justification attitude in the Meetup.com/Melakwa incident last year. After they were rescued, one of the party pointed out that the snowfall was sooooo bad and sooooo deep that the SAR people couldn't even use snowshoes, which in his mind justified the criticism that the Meetup group didn't even have snowshoes at Melakwa in winter in the first place.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostThu Aug 28, 2008 8:37 am 
Hope they make it out unscathed.

Opinions expressed here are my own.
mountaineer ordinaire

mountaineer ordinaire
PostThu Aug 28, 2008 8:38 am 
stacymarie wrote:
this is the third story in as many days of someone needing to be rescued. This being my first real year of hiking, is this a normal thing or are people just going up unprepared?
Yes, given our two mountain ranges and high number of outdoor enthusiasts, it is normal. Some years (this one included?) the number of cases is lower than average. Regarding reports of "hikers needing rescue", despite their frequent occurence, the media rarely get it right when labeling the people requiring rescue. In this case, from my understanding of the route, it is in fact "climbers", not "hikers", requiring rescue. Whether it's laziness or ignorance, in most cases, the local media do not know the difference between hikers, climbers, snowshoers, backcountry skiers, etc.

Guiran

Guiran
PostThu Aug 28, 2008 8:51 am 
With respect to checking the forecast, even mountain forecasts: Spire Point is near the end of the Ptarmigan Traverse, probably 4-5 days into the trip. I'm not sure when the last time was that I saw a weather forecast around here that was reliable five days out.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Aug 28, 2008 9:05 am 
Mountaineer Ordinaire wrote:
Whether it's laziness or ignorance, in most cases, the local media do not know the difference between hikers, climbers, snowshoers, backcountry skiers, etc.
The line between hiker/climber can be fuzzy, I think, depending on what people are doing out there. Possession of rope, cramps and helmet don't make one a climber, but some people carry this stuff and go out on trips with no idea how to use them. I know because when I climbed Baker several years ago, and Glacier Pk, I only had had a 2 hour lesson the nights before. Some folks who do the PT don't have the higher skills usually necessary, but with the grace of god, they seem to hack through it well enough. Are scramblers hikers or climbers - to the general new-reading public it probably doesn't matter. They just want the drama anyway.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostThu Aug 28, 2008 9:25 am 
It's one thing for there to be reports of good weather all week, and then get caught in a freak storm. It's another thing entirely to go out knowing the weather will be crappy but hoping for a miracle. Pretty much everyone who followed the weather reports knew that we would have wacky weather this week and into the weekend. And in Washington State, you better err on the side of rain anyway. Especially this time of year.

mountaineer ordinaire

mountaineer ordinaire
PostThu Aug 28, 2008 9:40 am 
Quark wrote:
Mountaineer Ordinaire wrote:
Whether it's laziness or ignorance, in most cases, the local media do not know the difference between hikers, climbers, snowshoers, backcountry skiers, etc.
The line between hiker/climber can be fuzzy, I think, depending on what people are doing out there. Possession of rope, cramps and helmet don't make one a climber, but some people carry this stuff and go out on trips with no idea how to use them.
You're correct the line is fuzzy but it's also true that people climbing Rainier are oftentimes called "hikers" by the media. I was making a point, to the person (a self-described "hiker") new to this area, that they'll hear the media report "hikers need rescuing" when, in fact, it is climbers or snowshoers or backcountry skiers who need rescuing.