Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trapped on Spire Point
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Aug 30, 2008 10:52 am 
The Ptarmigan Traverse is a well established alpine (climbing) route which requires commitment and preparation. Like other such routes such as the Isolation Traverse, Bailey Traverse and Picket Traverse there are no practical "escape routes" especially now that access roads have been closed due to washouts. Spire point is near the end of the traverse. They apparentlydid everything right but were caught by weather and circumstances.There is no reason to dis them because of where they live because you cannot get to Spire Point from Cascade Pass if you are incompetent huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Aug 30, 2008 11:04 am 
Dave Workman wrote:
But as I said, this incident provides an opportunity to learn something. You can waste your time sneering at me, or you can analyze what happened and discuss it, and hopefully come away with some scrap of knowledge that might prevent a similar incident, or at the very least, help keep you from getting into a scrape like this.
I'm sure we all agree with you that' it's worth analyzing this sort of incident in an attempt to come away with some scraps of knowledge. Perhaps their not bein' from 'round here was a major factor, but my own take is that focusing there oversimplifies the analysis and greatly and reduces the likelihood of learning much from this incident. Too easy an out.

plain old dan

plain old dan
PostSat Aug 30, 2008 11:05 am 
Layback, not trying to be disagreable with you but to compare "several peaks in the ADK 46 that are off trail" to what's available in the NW is silly. Also, the few places like Huntington are all well and good but I think you would have to agree that NE lacks the sheer volume of routes available in the Northwest. I do agree with your basic premise - you can be a good competent climber based soley on experience in the NE. In fact that's where many a climber has gotten started but often times they move on ... perhaps like you and me biggrin.gif Make no mistake, I'm not commenting one way or the other on this particular couple and their experience or lack thereoff (they could be seasoned Alaskan adventures for all I know) I was just pointing out to those that might think differently - terrain in NE is not as rugged or varied as the NW and attempts to compare the two is stretching it. Anyway, I love both areas up.gif Carry on.

tenaya123

tenaya123
PostSat Aug 30, 2008 11:34 am 
And you all thought the local papers got it wrong! (At least this guy has an excuse -- he lives in flatland, on the other side of the continent. So I sent him a nice email explaining that despite was Matt's mom said, he wasn't on Rainier.) From the Greenfield, MA Recorder: Rescued from Mount Rainier By GEORGE W. CLAXTON Recorder Staff Published: Saturday, August 30, 2008 A Franklin County couple who were stranded at the 8,000-foot level on a mountainside in the North Cascades of Washington state since Wednesday began walking down the mountain Friday to a point where were picked up by helicopter. The climbers, Matthew Edwards, 32, and Robin Gibson, 27, live in Wendell and had traveled out to the Northwest to climb Mount Rainier, according to Frances Baker, Edwards' mother. 'This was Matt's third time climbing Mount Rainier. This was the first time for Robin,' Baker said. According to his mother, Edwards, a 1994 graduate of Turners Falls High School, played baseball while he was at school and later developed a love of mountain climbing. http://www.recorder.com/story.cfm?id_no=5279347

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSat Aug 30, 2008 11:39 am 
lol.gif shakehead.gif

touron

touron
PostSat Aug 30, 2008 11:57 am 
Well as they say, Rainier creates its own weather. Maybe it has direct influence on internet reports too. I wonder where the 2000 foot level of Rainier is--maybe the Hilltop area in Tacoma? clown.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Toonces
unleashed

Toonces
unleashed
PostSat Aug 30, 2008 12:04 pm 
Dave Workman wrote:
the fact that this couple wasn't "from around here" is not a crime. It simply means they went into unfamiliar territory and got in over their heads.
. . . because we all know native Washingtonians are never in unfamiliar territory, nor do they get in over their heads. Especially those amazing 3rd and 4th generation Washingtonians. lol.gif

If you show fear, a monkey will bully you.
pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostSat Aug 30, 2008 12:33 pm 
Dave Workman wrote:
... You can waste your time sneering at me...
No problem, Dave, we won't waste our time sneering at you for sneering at them.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Aug 30, 2008 12:44 pm 
Yes, an analysis is always warranted in these cases. But it appears to me that the analysis is this simple: 1. They enagaged in routefinding that was good enough to get them to and up the Dana Glacier, very near the completion of the PT. So far, so good. 2. Then they got off route when trying to get to and over Spire Col. Poor visibility likely contributed to their error. 3. Their routefinding error led them to a ledge, where they were, by their assessment, stimied. (That they were on a ledge is proof that they were off route. The route from the margin of the Dana to Spire Col is easy terrain, and the descent from Spire Col is moderately angled scree, followed by mellow terrain down to Itswoot Ridge camp). 4. They dropped one of their two backpacks 5. They live E of the Mississippi Am I missing something? This sort of sh** happens even to experienced PNW climbers. I would hope it would not happen to my party (we'd have oodles of GPS waypoints potted on more than one GPS unit and we've been there before, so I'm confident that we'd make it to and over Spire Col in a whiteout, or that we would have waited for the soup to clear).

reststep

reststep
PostSat Aug 30, 2008 4:03 pm 
Maybe they did come out here to climb Mt. Rainier. I don't think we know. Maybe they were going to do Rainier in addition to the Ptarmigan Traverse. Also I don't think we know what their experience level is. Just because they are from the east coast does not mean they don't have extensive hiking and climbing experience.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Aug 30, 2008 4:16 pm 
I'm catching up on this thread after being out camping for a few days. I sympathize with this couples difficulty in finding the correct route over the pass near Spire Point, and I'm glad they're out safe. In clear weather it's easy, but even then we had some trouble on the far side scrambling down the correct route, with some back and forth scouting for easy going. Here's a shot from the N showing that there a multiple low points on the ridge near Spire Point. In a white out it would be hard to identify the correct one -- that one on the far left would be a very poor choice.
Posted and annotated for inclusion in this nwhikers post about the hikers needing rescue in this area.
Posted and annotated for inclusion in this nwhikers post about the hikers needing rescue in this area.

the dude
nice marmot

the dude
nice marmot
PostSat Aug 30, 2008 4:22 pm 
Thanks to all the posters who seem to have tacitly agreed to ignore Workman's reference to the Pamela Almli shooting, and keep this thread on topic. Clearly, those who live outside the borders of the great state of Washington are not prepared for the challenges of hiking our trails. As Workman points out, they go out in nominal weather (yes, the weather is in fact named weather - perhaps he meant marginal?), they travel without maps and compasses, and they are not mentally prepared. Allowing these ill-prepared out-of-staters on our trails leads to high costs for Washington taxpayers for SAR expenses. The obvious solution is to bill out-of-state hikers to use our trails. This should be enforced by requiring all hikers to register at trailheads and show identification identifying their state of residence. Out of state hiking fees should be levied in proportion to the amount of mountainous terrain in the hiker's state of residence - hikers from Idaho, Montana or California should pay $5 per day, while those from Kansas, Delaware and Florida would pay $20 per day to hike Washington trails. This will likely be implemented in other states as well. We Washingtonians are probably as unprepared for the conditions in Wyoming, Colorado and Alaska and those from the neighboring states of Massachusetts and Wisconsin are for our conditions. When travelling to out of state hiking destinations, we should be prepared to register our state-of-residence at the trailhead and to pay for the use of their trails. I'm sure Workman will agree, this modest proposal is the only sensible way to protect Washington taxpayers from the spiraling costs of rescuing ill-prepared out-of-state hikers. TAKE BACK OUR TRAILS!

"The dude abides."

reststep
Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostSat Aug 30, 2008 4:26 pm 
BRILLIANT!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostSat Aug 30, 2008 4:59 pm 
the dude wrote:
Thanks to all the posters who seem to have tacitly agreed to ignore Workman's reference to the Pamela Almli shooting, and keep this thread on topic.
I was merely responding to this:
Quote:
Dave Workman's comments are especially surprising and distrubing considering he was the one in the Sauk Mountain thread....
Quote:
I'm sure Workman will agree, this modest proposal is the only sensible way to protect Washington taxpayers from the spiraling costs of rescuing ill-prepared out-of-state hikers. TAKE BACK OUR TRAILS!
Good to be sure about something. I don't agree with that at all. Your entire sarcastic scenario is foolish, an presumably it's meant to be. But I suspect the day is coming when there will be some kind of fee assessment from everyone...sort of a "user pays" kind of thing, the way boaters pay licensing fees with the money going toward the administration and enforcement of boating laws. I didn't realize they were "our trails." Here all along I've been thinking they belonged to everybody. doh.gif

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostSat Aug 30, 2008 5:10 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Even a GPS can't guide you through very steep terrain when the correct route might be only a few feet away. Their only mistakes were not stopping and digging in earlier and then also getting separated from some of their gear. They may have had weather move in on them quite suddenly at that elevation.
Makes sense. And yes, even people who are "from around here" can get screwed up. Recall the lady who was lost for 2-3 days because she took a wrong turn at the pass above Melakwa Lake and wound up heading down into the Middle Fork drainage.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence