Forum Index > Trail Talk > "run"Mt Si stats?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jt

jt
PostFri Oct 31, 2008 11:07 am 
Si is something I use for training purposes especially when my time is limited, I want to brutalize myself, and/or the ski or trail running season is approaching. I've always been curious what kinds of stats those who "run" up and down end up with? I did a little research, but didn't come up with much. I always start my watch at the sign near the parking lot and stop it at the summit for my uphill time. For my downhill time I wait to start my watch until the bench below the haystack (I don't want to encourage any more reckless behavior in myself than I already do) and stop it at the same sign near the parking lot. Anyway, my most recent time up is 65:17 (58:33 is my fastest) and down in 34:12. I know there are other runners out there (I see them all the time). Anyone have some stats to share?

jt
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
yukon222

yukon222
PostFri Oct 31, 2008 11:34 am 
I've only run it once 2 summers ago - 66 minutes up, 32 minutes down. I prefer trail running at the Granite Mtn TH but head towards Talapus/Olallie Lakes. Very few people but still decent grade.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostFri Oct 31, 2008 11:53 am 
I know a guy who did it up in 47:30 -- to the bench -- and down in 29:30.

jaguar
NW hinker

jaguar
NW hinker
PostFri Oct 31, 2008 12:09 pm 
Back when I was in my 20's, I'd average 1 hour up, 1/2 hour down. I was a skinny mo-fo

gone

gone
PostFri Oct 31, 2008 1:13 pm 
Larry Susanka, a mathematics teacher at Bellevue Community College, used to arrange (loosely speaking) some races up/down Mt Si every year. The last, the 7th Annual, was held in 2005. I communicated with Mr. Susanka in 2006 about his plans for an 8th, but he reported that he was "...having a hard time finding runners... other than me!" It's fun reading through the race reports and the pics. Anyhow, their best reported times up and down appear to range from about 1:50 to just over 2:00.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Oct 31, 2008 1:27 pm 
The Mt Si trail was dedicated as the William H. Taylor Trail in 1931 by Edmund Meany. On the dedication day a race was run to the top of the trail. I came across the times once in the Washington Historical Quarterly and remember being impressed. The WHQ can be found at the Bellevue Main Library. If I am in that neighborhood this weekend I will look it up.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Oct 31, 2008 1:40 pm 
ewb, that's cool - Larry Susanka was among my fave math instructors (along with Dana Updegrove). These fine gentlemen never made any beginning math student feel dumb. Understanding what was sure to be confused, Larry made sure everyone had full opportunities to ask, and was very patient. OK, back to Si.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostFri Oct 31, 2008 2:47 pm 
Mike, was the William H Taylor trail the "old" or "new" trail?

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Oct 31, 2008 6:25 pm 
Riverside Baker wrote:
Mike, was the William H Taylor trail the "old" or "new" trail?
I can almost guarantee you that it was the old trail as it was 77 years ago.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Oct 31, 2008 7:40 pm 
I'm guessing I've been up Si 50 times or more over the years. These days I only go on rainy days or to take a visitor. Anyway, I assert that the only correct end point for timing Mt Si ascents is the bench below the haystack overlooking North Bend wink.gif I don't trail run, but I consider 1:30 to the bench a good time. A while back I took some pictures along the way on a 1:42 trip (add 30 seconds to get to the bench!)
Mt Si trail markers
Mt Si trail markers

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostFri Oct 31, 2008 11:24 pm 
Quote:
65:17 (58:33 is my fastest) and down in 34:12
That is extremely good! up.gif up.gif If I get up there in an hour and 30 minutes I will be very happy.

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
run4cache

run4cache
PostSun Nov 02, 2008 5:27 pm 
I don't think anyone has run it faster than Uli Steidl. He is a world class runner - having run in the World Track and Field Championship, the World Trail Championships, winning the Seattle Marathon numerous times, as well as the Pikes Peak Marathon, etc. etc. He has run up Mount Si in 27 minutes. http://runtrails.blogspot.com/2005/04/eighteen-ultra-wins-in-one-year.html. He also has organized numerous Mt. Si (informal races) over the years, although the results are not updated. http://home.myuw.net/usteidl/mtsi/mtsi.html

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Nov 02, 2008 8:59 pm 
eek.gif
Quote:
27 minutes
I'm always amazed at the performance level of exceptional athletes in top form. It's like they're not even human anymore!

Type E

Type E
PostSun Nov 02, 2008 9:29 pm 
In my younger days I would do Si weekly in in the Winter to stay fit. I would improve a few seconds each week until I was able to do it in 1:14 and :35 down. I was happy with that for a someone over 235lbs.

jt

jt
PostMon Nov 03, 2008 11:26 am 
run4cache wrote:
I don't think anyone has run it faster than Uli Steidl. He has run up Mount Si in 27 minutes.
Thanks for the link. Amazing stuff he's done and I don't doubt that he is the fastest up Si. I think you misread the stat (or I'm not seeing the part you saw). Uli ran the Mt. Si 50K in 3 hours 27 minutes. Did you see that he actually ran Mt. Si itself in 27 minutes? I wish the race results for the informal Mt. Si race (not the 50K) were still available. Anyone have these (or maybe I'll just e-mail Uli and see if he does)? The link I've found no longer works. I was off this past Sunday only hitting the bench in 65:30 which is what I've been summiting the haystack in. Downhill was off too by over about 1:30. Impressive was the guy I saw running back up for his second lap! I'm not ready for that yet.

jt