Forum Index > Food & Grub > best calorie to cost ratio?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
iron

iron
PostFri Oct 09, 2009 11:00 pm 
what's the best food out there, calorie/$, that still tastes good? i'm guessing peanut butter. at costco, i can get two 3lb jugs for something like $8 (i think). at 8000 calories/jug it comes out to 2000 calories/$. for comparison, a protein bar is about 200 calories/$.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
touron

touron
PostFri Oct 09, 2009 11:42 pm 
Here is some Oboy Oberto Pepperoni priced at $.31/110 calories. This does not beat PB, though.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Oct 12, 2009 12:57 pm 
Costco olive oil is a good bang for the buck -- $18.88 for 4 liters of pretty good extra virgin cold press stuff. Olive oil is dense in calories, contains "good fats," keeps the blood sugar flat, etc. Olive oil is tasty with bread, crackers, noodles, etc., but some guys (hyperdistance runner Stu Mittleman, notably) drink olive oil during endurance events. But not me. biggrin.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Oct 12, 2009 1:10 pm 
You could make your own power gel from honey. I tried it a while back but to make it economical you really need to use it up before it goes bad. I suspect you'd have no problem in that department. wink.gif http://www.summitpost.org/article/239378/home-made-power-gels-energy-for-less.html BTW, I think I saw agave syrup at Costco the last time I was there, but it tends to be more expensive than honey.

Sennin

Sennin
PostMon Oct 12, 2009 1:57 pm 
Baskin Robbin’s Large Oreo Chocolate Shake = 2600 calories. tongue.gif

Sennin

Sennin
PostMon Oct 12, 2009 2:07 pm 
1 package of Top Ramen = 200 Calories. Sometimes you can find them on sale, 10 for $1 (sometimes even cheaper). 2000/$1 and lighter than peanut butter!

Toonces
unleashed

Toonces
unleashed
PostMon Oct 12, 2009 2:21 pm 
For those who consider light weight a virtue, Krispy Kremes are hard to beat in the cost/calories calculus. biggrin.gif

If you show fear, a monkey will bully you.
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Oct 12, 2009 6:31 pm 
Tom wrote:
BTW, I think I saw agave syrup at Costco the last time I was there, but it tends to be more expensive than honey.
You can also find it at Trader Joe's for a good price....

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
touron

touron
PostMon Oct 12, 2009 6:39 pm 
Bozo wrote:
yada....dy/dx......yada.....Factorial Squared.......yada......negative person......yada.....square root finder....yada QED
Your proof and conclusions are on par with other peers, so I accept them w/out further reveiw, besides, I'm wholly engrossed in a snickers ( hihi.gif ) bar right now (273 calores/2 oz). Unfortunately, your math pyrotechnics arrive a week or two late for the ignobles (though, there is nothing wrong with sprinting after the race is over). I attended the Julius School of Oranges at Factoria Square and was taught by a tineared professor where we learned asymptotic hyperbolic caloric first ordered farces which nearly approached our limits. This much I still have from my class notes, which is interesting, assuming the data is accurate: Raw wheat flour ($.07/200 cal) appears fairly inexpensive, but I think it would be a bit bland hurl.gif . Brown sugar? Yum ($.10/200 cal). hungry.gif Peanut Butter? Tasty and many calories, but more expensive ($.17/200 cal). But if you mix all three together, you can probably make some tasty peanutbutter cookies (burning off a few calories in the process, assuming you aren't constantly in the "sampling mode" like me), that have a very low cost/ounce on average, though still a bit more expensive than eating raw flour, but tastier too. Also, has anyone else notice that the price of butter recently has dropped like a rock? (Why?) This might be worth including in ones backcountry recipe as well. up.gif up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Oct 12, 2009 11:28 pm 
When I had just read the thread title, I was ready to reply "go to a rendering plant and I bet you can strike a mean bargain on lard...", but then I opened the thread and saw:
Quote:
...that still tastes good...
Aye, there's the rub. This becomes fairly subjective. I would not enjoy a diet of primarily peanut butter that has stabilizer (the type where the oil never separates) and sugar added. But others might. In any case, finding the cheapest fat that you think tastes good is likely to be the best bet. Fat also has the nice aspect of high calories to weight ratio. I seem to recall a similar thread on turns all year a few years ago and someone claimed that little debbie's brownies or some such product that I've never tried hit the sweet spot that you're looking for.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Oct 12, 2009 11:36 pm 
I am partial to honey and I read somewhere that honey is the only food that does not spoil. I read that archaeologists have discovered honey in Egyptian tombs that was still good. Reminds me of a candy that I really miss, it was called "bit 'o honey". they were paper wrapped squares in candy bar form but no chocolate. Wonder why they stopped making it? Maybe too many loose fillings lost due to the sticky texture?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Oct 12, 2009 11:54 pm 
Maybe forgotten, but not gone: buy your bit-o-honey here

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostTue Oct 13, 2009 7:52 am 
There's Bit-o-Honey in the bulk bins at my Winco. Love it!

BirdDog

BirdDog
PostTue Oct 13, 2009 1:59 pm 
IMO the best Calorie/$$$ value is Logan Bread. Nice dense, tasty, calorie packed stuff. I'll try to dig up my recipie for you. Here's one I found on the internet, lot's more out there I'm sure. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Logan-Bread/Detail.aspx

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Teddy Roosevelt August 6, 1912
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostTue Oct 13, 2009 3:24 pm 
Nothing will taste good if you eat too much of it, not even Nutella. bawl.gif That being said, check this out (the sklup). These people have been on multiple very long trips where resupplies were few and far in between, so they had to figure out something pretty efficient.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!