Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mount Rose..... almost...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mossy mom

mossy mom
PostFri Feb 05, 2010 8:55 pm 
potlatch tide
potlatch tide
hightid at potlatch
hightid at potlatch
a recent tide reached the sidewalk
a recent tide reached the sidewalk
On the way there I stopped to take pictures of what had been a really high tide at potlatch. There was evidence that the water had reached the bathroom sidewalk. With the snow levels being so high and a recent trip report of a successful hike up Mount Rose, I thought I would be able to do this. The trail was bare until 3,400 feet! I thought that for sure I would be able to summit. But on the ridge the snow was very deep and it felt risky. I was solo and I worried about falling into a tree well. Up on the ridge I probed the snow with my trekking poles before each step, so I did not fall into a tree well but still, at one point my left foot plunged in and my left leg sunk up to mid-thigh level while my right foot was sunk in at knee level. And I could not get up because my hands sunk into the snow. I knew what to do though, I took off my pack and laid it on the snow and used it to push up against. Then I turned around. I made it to about 4,100 feet so I was just 300 feet shy of the summit elevation wise, but it was too risky to go on. Still, I enjoyed my hike and I felt very relaxed and happy on the way down. I stopped and brewed my tea and ate lunch in the lower forest. 7 miles with 3,000 feet elevation gain. More details and pictures on my blog I wonder if dogs ever have trouble with tree wells? My dog was not very happy on the ridge, that's for sure. I would like to go back up there and try again, but I need someone to go with me.
View larger size in new window
Hole to fall in to
Hole to fall in to
the trail on the ridge
the trail on the ridge
time to turn around
time to turn around
track log
track log
elevation profile
elevation profile
digging my heels in for the descent
digging my heels in for the descent
bird nest
bird nest
blow down
blow down
blowdown
blowdown
a cut log proves that I am on the trail
a cut log proves that I am on the trail

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostFri Feb 05, 2010 9:55 pm 
Been there,done that. It's good to know when to turn around. We live to tell about our adventures. Good for you for getting out.

tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Feb 05, 2010 10:16 pm 
Would snow shoes have helped or is it just crap. I would have guessed post hole city which isn't fun for sure. I suspect not enough traffic to pack anything down much. What about the other/steeper way up? I wonder if that is any better? I've only done this once last year in the rain. As I recall the ridge got pretty narrow in places which I wondered how that would be like with a lot of snow. The problem may be that there isn't enough snow to just cover it all up and make it a snowshoe hike.

mossy mom

mossy mom
PostFri Feb 05, 2010 10:37 pm 
I tried it both ways one winter. Took the steeper route until we reached a creek crossing with a really dodgy looking snowbridge then we turned around and tried the other route. The less steep route is well marked with orange diamonds but the steep route is not marked at all so it is easier to get lost on that route. Yeah, maybe about 20 feet of snow would make the ridge a nice walk. the pile of snow was so narrow that it would have been easy to get off trail and then fall into the really loose snow drifts. There was about 3-5 feet of snow where I stopped. My doggie went down the ridge and then had a hell of a time getting back up it.

HundsSolo
Baby Step Hiking :o)

HundsSolo
PostSat Feb 06, 2010 12:17 am 
I am surprise to hear there is snow on Mt Rose summit. I would have thought it would have been gone by now. I went down to Lena Lake today. No snow, lower lake was ice free. Half way there I was in my short sleeve shirt. Put on a light fleece jacket on the way back. It drizzled half the time though.

The Mountains are Calling - I must go and PLAY! If you don't Respect Mother Nature, Mother Nature won't respect you. Wag More and Bark Less smile.gif
mossy mom

mossy mom
PostSat Feb 06, 2010 10:42 am 
HundsSolo wrote:
I am surprise to hear there is snow on Mt Rose summit. I would have thought it would have been gone by now. I went down to Lena Lake today. No snow, lower lake was ice free. Half way there I was in my short sleeve shirt. Put on a light fleece jacket on the way back. It drizzled half the time though.
Well it was warm up there, I think the snow is melting but it looked like some of it had fallen recently. I hiked up in shorts and a short sleeved shirt. For the trip down wore pants and a short sleeved shirt. I also wore one glove because my trekking pole strap was starting to give me a blister. Maybe I will try going up the steep route next week or maybe not. It might be windy enough to blow the snow off the top of that route. I'll have to load a track log of the trail into my GPS if I do that though, it is easy for me to get turned around at the start of the steeper route. The first patchy snow was at 3,400 feet so before I saw that snow, I had fantasies of the summit being snow free.
4 first snow
4 first snow

HundsSolo

HundsSolo
PostSat Feb 06, 2010 10:48 am 
Cabelas has their fingerless gloves made out fleece with rubber palms on clearance for $8, normally $20. They have size small for women. I wear them on most of the hikes. I still use the ones I bought three years ago although the rubber has been worn out.

The Mountains are Calling - I must go and PLAY! If you don't Respect Mother Nature, Mother Nature won't respect you. Wag More and Bark Less smile.gif
mossy mom

mossy mom
PostSat Feb 06, 2010 10:58 am 
Thanks, I'll take a look at them online. When it is not too cold I wear fishing gloves that allow the index finger and thumb to be exposed by folding them back, kind of like mittens. But these gloves are made for tying fishing knots. I got them for taking pictures. They sell them in the fishing department at Wal-Mart. They are also fleece and rubber but they don't fit very well. I did not know for sure what to expect up there so I also brought a fleece pull over, my down jacket and my heavy mountaineering mittens but I did not need them.

HundsSolo

HundsSolo
PostSat Feb 06, 2010 11:48 am 
I primarily have the fingerless gloves to hold onto my camera. I take a lot of pic's, normally anywhere from 100 to 200 pic's. I tried other fingerless gloves, like the wool ones but they were too bulky. I live a short distance from Cabalas so I go there too often. This is the best time to shop Cabalas because they have all of their winter stuff on clearance.

mossy mom

mossy mom
PostSat Feb 06, 2010 12:10 pm 
HundsSolo wrote:
I primarily have the fingerless gloves to hold onto my camera. I take a lot of pic's, normally anywhere from 100 to 200 pic's. I tried other fingerless gloves, like the wool ones but they were too bulky. I live a short distance from Cabalas so I go there too often. This is the best time to shop Cabalas because they have all of their winter stuff on clearance.
I take a lot of picturest too. smile.gif I don't know where the nearest Cabelas is. The only department store within 20 miles of my house is Wal-Mart frown.gif I took 221 pictures on my hike up Mount Rose and I was trying to cut back on my picture taking!
1 first benches
1 first benches
Oh I see there is a Cabelas in Lacey, maybe I will go check it out when I am in Oly next week. Those gloves sound nice.

HundsSolo

HundsSolo
PostSat Feb 06, 2010 12:27 pm 
On yesterday hike I took about 100ish. After editing, I ended up with about 50-60.
Sasquatch in disguised - Lena Lake Hike 02-05-10 (12)
Sasquatch in disguised - Lena Lake Hike 02-05-10 (12)
Cool Algae - Lena Lake Hike 02-05-10 (9)
Cool Algae - Lena Lake Hike 02-05-10 (9)
You should be able to see Cabalas from the Walmart parking lot. Cabalas is on the opposite side of I-5. Take the Marvin road exit, same exit as Walmart except turn left on Marvin, another left on the second round-about, and one more left on the first round-about. Bring your camera. The gloves are located in the men's section.
Cabelas Store in Lacey
Cabelas Store in Lacey

mossy mom

mossy mom
PostSat Feb 06, 2010 12:33 pm 
HundsSolo wrote:
You should be able to see Cabalas from the Walmart parking lot. Cabalas is on the opposite side of I-5. Take the Marvin road exit, same exit as Walmart except turn left on Marvin, another left on the second round-about, and one more left on the first round-about. Bring your camera. The gloves are located in the men's section.
Cabelas Store in Lacey
Cabelas Store in Lacey
I've never been to the Lacey Wal-Mart, no reason to go to Wal-Mart when there when so many other stores are near by. smile.gif I'll check it out next week, when I go to pick up my photographs that are on display at the college. I was looking for something else to do while I was in Oly. I looks like quite a store. smile.gif

HundsSolo

HundsSolo
PostSat Feb 06, 2010 12:35 pm 
Your photos on display at Evergreen? What kind?

mossy mom

mossy mom
PostSat Feb 06, 2010 12:39 pm 
HundsSolo wrote:
Your photos on display at Evergreen? What kind?
Three photos from my sunrise hike up Mount Ellinor, including my avitar photo. They are part of a larger display that has to come down before next Satuarday. They are near the elevators on the first floor. Check them out if you get a chance.