Forum Index > Food & Grub > A quick question...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostMon Mar 08, 2010 11:05 am 
For those of you who put together your own backcountry dinners - when it's all said and done, do you feel you're actually saving money? Not just CAN you, but DO you save money? What if you aren't dropping a bunch of money up front for bulk, and just buy ingredients as you need them? Still cheaper?

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Mar 08, 2010 11:07 am 
A pack of ramen with a retort pack of tuna is pretty cheap hockeygrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostMon Mar 08, 2010 11:37 am 
I've been making a lot of my own dehydrated dinners the past few months in preparation for an Appalachian Trail section hike, and just to try it out. The cost really depends on what you are making and the ingredients you use. I made a big pot of minnestrone soup and dehydrated it, netting about 8 hearty servings. It was very cheap, I'd guess about $1.50 per meal. A few others that I made came close to $3.00 per meal. Still cheaper than a Mountain House but not significantly so including all the work to make it. Personally, I just like cooking so it's fun for me. It also lets me choose exactly what goes into my meal and how its seasoned. A few weeks ago I made an instant curry to satisfy Thai food cravings! Cheap and light too. The coconut cream powder provides a lot of calories. Ingredients: Coconut cream powder (Viet Wah or Uwajimaya) Curry paste, vacuum sealed in 2 tbsp portions Dehydrated veggies Small can of chicken Instant brown rice

nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostMon Mar 08, 2010 12:25 pm 
Since I get to dehydrate my own meals, yes, yes and a thousand times yes, cheaper to do my own. Ditto with making my own dried fruit, IF it's on sale for cheap.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Mar 08, 2010 12:56 pm 
I buy everything in bulk (the basic ingredients) such as veggies, fruit, grains, meat, etc. Since I always have tons of items on hand my cost per meal goes down dramatically. If it is an item I can't get, I dry it (such as canned artichokes and Jasmine rice). As well....I have total control over my meals. That alone is worth all of the work. If you live on a special diet or have to avoid things you learn quickly you cannot purchase commercial meals. I live on a lower sodium/no fake colorings/flavorings diet and avoid most preservatives. That isn't easy to follow buying commercial meals. The other big thing is serving size and calories. Many commercial meals are notoriously low in calories and small. So a person buys a 2 person bag of MH Beef Strognaff. Then you look at the back and wonder...how is this going to fill me up? A serving has only 320 calories yet over 1K of sodium! And 2 grams of fiber. So a typical hiker eats the whole bag, consuming 2100 mg of sodium in one sitting, yet only 4 grams of fiber and 640 calories and is STILL hungry. Make your own meals and you can be filled up!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Mar 08, 2010 12:58 pm 
And on the buying as you go principle? Sure you can save if you buy wisely. A tub of veggies from Just Tomatoes can be found in many grocery stores. A box of instant rice from Costco is under $5 and will last all summer. Look at it this way.....the upper end FD meals are running $9 to 13 for ONE BAG nowdays. You can do better even with the cost of buying a $3 packet of chicken. Your food will taste better as well up.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Mar 08, 2010 1:34 pm 
Edmund Hillary was eating canned pineapple at the South Col. Life is too short to live on Top Ramen. Buy your own stuff in bulk. Dried. From the Food Co-Op or some place where you can find good products at a reasonable price. Pack up your own stuff. Outside of cooking time and the amount of fuel required, you can't beat pasta for filling the gut and providing the carbs you need.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Mar 08, 2010 1:38 pm 
One trick is to partially cook the pasta at home and dehydrate it. (I usually cut 2 to 3 minutes off) You can dry pasta in your oven, no need for a dehydrator! Then you have "instant" pasta. It just needs boiling water to cover and 10 to 15 minutes sit time and then proceed.

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostMon Mar 08, 2010 2:02 pm 
Dane wrote:
For those of you who put together your own backcountry dinners - when it's all said and done, do you feel you're actually saving money? Not just CAN you, but DO you save money? What if you aren't dropping a bunch of money up front for bulk, and just buy ingredients as you need them? Still cheaper?
Yes. And you can do it either way. Sometimes I buy stuff as I need it, sometimes I stock up... Like right now Top Foods has tuna and salmon pouches on sale... Safeway has Idahoan taters... Stock up! Or when I go to stores (WinCo) I don't get to often... Or pick up one or two "backpacking" foods on your regular grocery store runs. Or... Crock pot plus dehydrator. Dried beans are super cheap. And you can take advantage of farmers markets (seasonal produce). Make a huge batch of something yummy and then have a ton of ready-to-go meals. agree.gif

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostMon Mar 08, 2010 2:03 pm 
sarbar wrote:
One trick is to partially cook the pasta at home and dehydrate it. (I usually cut 2 to 3 minutes off) You can dry pasta in your oven, no need for a dehydrator! Then you have "instant" pasta. It just needs boiling water to cover and 10 to 15 minutes sit time and then proceed.
or rice, quinoa, millet, barley... etc etc etc.

T Mary

T Mary
PostMon Mar 08, 2010 2:18 pm 
Funny how we want to eat on the cheap in the backcountry! I don't spend any more or less money putting my own meals together for backpacking than I do when I'm eating at home. I don't buy in bulk, but I've collected enough of those little packets of condiments to be featured on that reality show about hoarders! Sarbar is absolutely dead-on about the pre-packaged meals--too much salt, too few calories, and portion control and taste issues. After reading Sarbar's and Dicentra's books and websites and trying some of their recipes, I'm eating better and enjoying my food more when I'm backpacking. I'm able to put together meals that I would normally eat at home, and it makes a difference, especially on multi day trips.

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostMon Mar 08, 2010 2:22 pm 
And partially cooked/dehydrated pasta will keep for a few weeks to a couple months?

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Mar 08, 2010 2:24 pm 
Dane wrote:
And partially cooked/dehydrated pasta will keep for a few weeks to a couple months?
Once dehydrated you are talking a year of shelf life. Most dried items have excellent shelf lives - meat, dairy and items high in fat have shorter lives (due to the fat content these items go stale and rancid easier. Pasta, rice, veggies, etc if properly dried store well.) What precooking/drying pasta does is save fuel but also makes it easier - you don't have to deal with super starchy pasta cooked in a tiny pot.

Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostMon Mar 08, 2010 2:27 pm 
T Mary wrote:
Funny how we want to eat on the cheap in the backcountry!
Paying up-front for several weeks worth of food just prior to several weeks of unpaid vacation hurts. I spent a ridiculous amount on freeze-dried food last summer. I'd rather be buying gear. (new license plate frame?)

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostMon Mar 08, 2010 2:43 pm 
Dane wrote:
T Mary wrote:
Funny how we want to eat on the cheap in the backcountry!
Paying up-front for several weeks worth of food just prior to several weeks of unpaid vacation hurts. I spent a ridiculous amount on freeze-dried food last summer. I'd rather be buying gear. (new license plate frame?)
I sponsor PCT thru hikers every year so I'm used to making a LOT of food. I do it a little differently... Take advantage of sales when I see them for starters. I Run the dehydrator several times (with large batches of meals) over the winter for use in the summer. (store properly!) I also look for free or uber cheap food... I scored an entire tree's worth of pears last summer just by asking if I could pick some. The dehydrator is nice b/c I can take advantage of clearance items (12 bell peppers nearing past-prime stage for example) and dry them for future use... Things like chili or stews you can add to (and add variety to) by adding cooked and dried pasta, rice or quinoa. Couscous too.