Forum Index > Food & Grub > A quick question...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Mar 08, 2010 3:17 pm 
Dane wrote:
T Mary wrote:
Funny how we want to eat on the cheap in the backcountry!
Paying up-front for several weeks worth of food just prior to several weeks of unpaid vacation hurts. I spent a ridiculous amount on freeze-dried food last summer. I'd rather be buying gear. (new license plate frame?)
The secret is learning to incorporate your home food into backpacking food. That is how you do it cheap. Buying freeze dried meals is buying by the meal, which is always priciest. But taking out of your cupboards and adding a few items here and there isn't any more expensive. You have to eat at home - but instead you do it on the trail. Say you need snacks? Don't buy energy bars for a weekend trip. Just bake healthy cookies! A well stocked kitchen has butter, flour, eggs, nuts, dried fruit, etc. Making a batch of cookies is easy and you can freeze them for other trips! If you have a packet of gravy mix, instant rice and dried veggies you can make 2 meals per gravy packet. Just buy a can of chicken at Target and add. That kind of simple thinking works well. Want to make a treat on trail? Invest in a box of Bisquick. You can have pancakes, steamed biscuits, pan bread...you can have it savory or sweet for only a few pennies more by adding items from the kitchen.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon Mar 08, 2010 11:14 pm 
Opus wrote:
<snip>A few weeks ago I made an instant curry to satisfy Thai food cravings! Cheap and light too. The coconut cream powder provides a lot of calories. Ingredients: Coconut cream powder (Viet Wah or Uwajimaya) Curry paste, vacuum sealed in 2 tbsp portions Dehydrated veggies Small can of chicken Instant brown rice
Sounds pretty good, I may have to try something like this!

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon Mar 08, 2010 11:19 pm 
dicentra wrote:
sarbar wrote:
One trick ... Then you have "instant" pasta.
or rice, quinoa, millet, barley... etc etc etc.
Amen to the rice, quinoa, millet, and barley (tho not so much on the millet...). I try to minimize the wheat flour stuff and stick with the whole grains. The nice thing about quinoa (once you get used to it -- admittedly this took me a while), aside from the fact that it's a whole protein, is that it's incredibly light and cooks in only 15'. And if that's just too long, you can pre-cook then dehydrate it to turn it into instant quinoa.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon Mar 08, 2010 11:33 pm 
For me it's not about the money, it's more about choosing exactly what goes into what I eat -- or said another way, eating exactly what I like. However, as it turns out, I DO save loads over buying prepackaged stuff via the following principle from Sarbar:
sarbar wrote:
The secret is learning to incorporate your home food into backpacking food. <snip>
I totally agree with this. I've been driving my wife crazy in the last month making backpacking recipes for dinner (we trade off cooking) and then, if worthy, I will dehydrate the leftovers -- and I make sure there are plenty of leftovers (<-- this is the part that drives wifey crazy). So there's very little "extra" time required and very little additional cost. Plus, for me, it's fun to search for that perfect backcountry meal.

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostTue Mar 09, 2010 10:52 am 
Navy salad wrote:
For me it's not about the money, it's more about choosing exactly what goes into what I eat -- or said another way, eating exactly what I like. However, as it turns out, I DO save loads over buying prepackaged stuff via the following principle from Sarbar:
sarbar wrote:
The secret is learning to incorporate your home food into backpacking food. <snip>
I totally agree with this. I've been driving my wife crazy in the last month making backpacking recipes for dinner (we trade off cooking) and then, if worthy, I will dehydrate the leftovers -- and I make sure there are plenty of leftovers (<-- this is the part that drives wifey crazy). So there's very little "extra" time required and very little additional cost. Plus, for me, it's fun to search for that perfect backcountry meal.
I love it!!! You need to tell us more about what you're making (with pics!) I do this too. Hubby rolls his eyes at me, especially when I break out the camera, but he's gotten used to it. lol.gif

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Mar 09, 2010 12:29 pm 
dicentra -- Ok, I'll start doing that. Right now, everything's been dried, although I suppose I could show pics of the little vacuum packed bags I've collected. smile.gif I've mostly been going through "Backpack Gourmet", a book someone recommended on a different thread and which, despite it's plain appearance, is my current favorite. I've tried some from "Fork in the Trail" as well and "Leave No Crumbs". I lean towards the thick soups and stews. Since you're doing the same thing, what have you found that you liked best? Coincidentally, I just checked your web site yesterday (for your PCT writeup) and stumbled upon the dips section. You've got one with artichokes in it that I'm planning to try soon (as far as I'm concerned, anything with artichokes in it has GOT to be good). I'll post more later.

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostTue Mar 09, 2010 12:41 pm 
Navy Salad - I just posted a black bean soup recipe with dehydrator pics on the blog. smile.gif The artichoke bean one is awesome! Works as a dip, a spread or pasta sauce. Top with parmesan. Nom! agree.gif (Sarbar helped test that one!)

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Mar 09, 2010 1:54 pm 
Ok, first an ethics question (probably should put this in a new thread, but I'm too lazy at the moment): Most recipes start with a previous one, and then get adapted into a "new" recipe. Given that, how many changes are needed before it become public domain? In other words, I'd feel guilty if I copied a recipe exactly from a book and entered it here. Copyright violation or something like that. But if you change it enough, it becomes virtually unrecognizable from the original. So to get specific, if I take a soup recipe from a book and switch one ingredient, does it then become ok to publish it? If not, two? Three? How about if I leave the base recipe unchanged, but add additional ingredients? The reason I ask (probably obvious) is that I don't really have any truly original recipes, but I almost always make changes and would like to write up the changed recipes here.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Mar 09, 2010 2:12 pm 
Copywrite rules in the US are this: You must rewrite the recipe in your words. The actual list of ingredients is unprotected but how you write the recipe is protected. So lets say I have a recipe I see and change a couple items....then I will write it down with my style of writing. And it is mine now smile.gif Though it never hurts to say..."Hey I was inspired by this website or book or author" and give credit smile.gif up.gif

Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostTue Mar 09, 2010 2:25 pm 
Thanks for the replies everyone! A few years back I found that DIY gear didn't really save money, just allowed me to design my own stuff. Which was cool. But I'm not a picky eater, just lookin to save some $$$. Spose I'll look up some recipes and start experimenting for this summer's adventures...

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Mar 09, 2010 2:30 pm 
Dane - Cooking is one of those areas where in most cases you can eat cheaper if you cook yourself....but if single it can be more of an issue. Or if you get addicted to high end premium products (not me.....lol!) If ya ain't picky though you can eat pretty good for cheap!

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostTue Mar 09, 2010 2:39 pm 
sarbar wrote:
Copywrite rules in the US are this: You must rewrite the recipe in your words. The actual list of ingredients is unprotected but how you write the recipe is protected. So lets say I have a recipe I see and change a couple items....then I will write it down with my style of writing. And it is mine now smile.gif Though it never hurts to say..."Hey I was inspired by this website or book or author" and give credit smile.gif up.gif
My blog post today is a good example. If I write up the recipe the way *I* made it, then it is my own recipe. I changed quite a bit of the recipe. I posted both the original recipe (with links to the book I got it from) and the changes I've made. The addition of drying and packaging the meal for backpacking changes the recipe even further. If in doubt (assuming you aren't writing a book or whatever) post both the original with credit to that author/book and what changes you made to make it your own. I know we'd all like to see what you (and anyone else who'd like to post) is up to. HTH! winksmile.gif

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Mar 09, 2010 2:52 pm 
sarbar wrote:
Copywrite rules in the US are this ........
Cool! Although I almost feel badly for some food genius who discovers a miraculous pairing of whatever with whatever and all we gotta do is rewrite it. But I'll lessen the burden on my conscience by taking your suggestion about providing the source of my inspiration. But right now, I need to work on my taxes.......