Forum Index > Food & Grub > Recipes To Get You Out There: An Easy Collection
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Mar 11, 2010 4:18 pm 
Dicentra and I both love to cook on trail (and that is what we do professionally as well). This is a collection of recipes that area easy to do - we will keep adding them as we add to our websites. Feel free to post also if you have a favorite that you like to make. It is fun to see what people love to eat. To get it going: This recipe came out of new ingredients I had picked up this past week. It is very easy to whip up. You can easily add a small (3 or 5 ounce) can of chicken to it for more protein. Trashy Souper Rice Ingredients * 1 c instant rice * 1⁄4 c freeze dried mushrooms, crumbled * 3 T dry cream of mushroom soup mix * 1 T dry milk * 1 T dried chives * 1⁄4 t ground black pepper * 2 T crushed potato chips * 1 T olive oil (1 packet) * 1 1⁄4 c water Instructions At home pack all the dry ingredients except for the potato chips in a sandwich or quarter freezer bag. Tuck the crushed potato chips in a small zip top bag, with the packet of olive oil. In camp: FBC method: Add the oil and near boiling water to the quart freezer bag. Stir well, seal tightly and put in a FBC cozy for 15 minutes. Stir well and top with the potato chips. Insulated mug method: Add the dry ingredients, oil and the boiling water to your insulated mug. Stir well, cover tightly and let sit for 15 minutes. Stir well and top with the potato chips. One pot method: Bring the water and oil to a boil, add in the dry ingredients. Take off the stove, cover tightly and let sit for 10 minutes. Stir well and top with the potato chips. In cool temperatures use a pot cozy. Notes Ingredient finds: Dry cream of mushroom soup mix: http://www.frontiercoop.com/products.php?ct=dfmsb&cn=Cream+of+Mushroom+S... Freeze dried mushrooms: http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/FD-Mushrooms-4015-oz41_p_1908.html Dry weight is around 7 ounces.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Mar 11, 2010 4:23 pm 
This is an easy find-it-at-the-grocery-store meal: Cherry Chicken Couscous Ingredients * 1 c couscous * 1⁄2 c diced dried cherries * 1 T diced dried onion * 1 tsp dried parsley * 1 t true lime powder * 1⁄2 t diced dried garlic * 7 oz pouch chicken breast * 1 T olive oil (1 packet) * 1 1⁄2 c water * 1 1⁄2 t lower sodium chicken bouillon Instructions Pack the dry ingredients in a quart freezer bag or a sandwich bag. Tuck the oil and chicken in with it. One Pot method: Bring 1 1/2 cups water, oil and chicken with broth to a boil in your pot. Add in the dry ingredients, stir well, cover tightly and turn off the heat. Let sit for 10 minutes, fluff up. Insulated mug method: Add 1 1/2 cups boiling water, oil and chicken with broth to the dry ingredients in a large mug. Stir well, cover tightly and let sit for 10 minutes. In cooler temperatures use a pot cozy to insulate. Fluff up. Freezer bag method: Add 1 1/2 cups near boiling water, oil and chicken with broth to the bag. Stir well, seal tightly and put in a cozy for 10 minutes. Fluff up. For all methods, fluff and add salt and black pepper to taste. Notes True Lime powder is often found in the baking or sugar aisle of most grocery stores. Feel free to use True Lemon as well. You can also bring a small lime and squeeze it in fresh. For the couscous, use either regular or whole wheat for more protein. If you cannot find dried cherries, dried cranberries can be used. For the chicken, look for 5 ounce cans with pop tops or preferably the easy to use 7 ounce pouches. This recipe was featured in WTA's Washington Trail's Jan/Feb 2010 issue: http://www.wta.org/trail-news/magazine

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostThu Mar 11, 2010 4:23 pm 
Mount Daniel Wrap (or should I call this the Cate Blanchett Wrap?) Serves 1 Flour tortilla instant black or refried beans 1-2 taco or hot sauce packets 2 baby bell cheese wheels At home: put the beans in a snack sized baggie. Carry everything else seperately. In camp: add water to the bean baggie. Seal and squish. Let stand for 5 minutes or until rehydrated. Cut a corner off the bag and squish out onto a tortilla (like you are piping frosting!) Top with the hot sauce. Unwrap the cheese, cut in half and top the beans with them. Roll and eat.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Mar 11, 2010 4:29 pm 
Another long time reader favorite was this recipe from my website: Pizza In A Pot Ingredients * 2⁄3 c couscous * 1 T diced sundried tomatoes * 1 T diced dried bell peppers * 1 t dried oregano * 1 t dried basil * 1⁄4 t dried garlic, powder or diced * 1 T olive oil (1 packet) * 4 oz shelf stable pepperoni slices (see notes) * 2 oz mozzarella cheese (see notes) Instructions: Depending on method used, pack the dry items into a sandwich or quart freezer bag. Pack the oil, meat and cheese with it. One pot method: Add 1 cup water to your pot and bring to a boil. Turn off the stove and add in the dry ingredients, oil and pepperoni. Stir well, put the lid on tightly and let sit for 10 minutes. Meanwhile dice the cheese up. Top with the cheese and let sit for a minute. FBC method: Add the pepperoni, oil and 1 cup near boiling water. Stir well, seal tightly and put in a cozy for 15 minutes. Dice up the cheese, fold in and let sit for a minute. Insulated mug method: In a large mug add the pepperoni, oil and 1 cup boiling water to the dry ingredients. Stir well, cover tightly and let sit for 15 minutes. Dice up the cheese, fold in and let sit for a minute. Notes: Shelf stable pepperoni is often sold next to the deli meats in grocery stores but doesn't need to be kept cold until opened. Buy the pre-sliced (think for a pizza). For the mozzarella cheese, use 2 pieces of string cheese. It is fine to carry for a couple days, it will get soft but is edible.

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostThu Mar 11, 2010 4:31 pm 
Is that one the same as the pizza rice? up.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Mar 11, 2010 4:32 pm 
This is a recent one, another find-it-at-the-store recipe. Hiker's Primavera Pasta Ingredients * 6 oz box white cheddar mac n' cheese * 1⁄4 c freeze dried green peas * 1⁄4 c freeze dried sweet corn * 2 T diced dried carrots * 2 T diced sun-dried tomatoes * 1⁄4 c shelf stable Parmesan cheese * 1 T dry milk * 1 t Italian herb seasoning * 1⁄4 t granulated garlic * 1⁄4 t freshly ground black pepper * 1 T olive oil (1 packet) * 4 c water Instructions At home: In a sandwich bag pack the dry pasta and vegetables together. In a snack size bag pack the cheese sauce mix, cheese, dry milk and seasonings. Tuck the oil into a spill resistant container or use a convenient single serving packet. Bring 4 cups water to a boil in your pot, add in the pasta bag and cook for time on package (usually 8 minutes). Reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking water and drain the rest off carefully. Stir the seasoning bag into the pasta with the reserved water and oil till creamy. Serves2. Notes: This recipe was featured in the March/April issue of Washington Trails on page 35: http://www.wta.org/trail-news/magazine Notes: For the mac n' cheese we used Annie's natural brand. http://www.annies.com/naturalmacandcheese#jump15 Any similar type will work - use the one you prefer. Shelf stable Parmesan cheese? Look for the "green" cans. Find the dried vegetables at www.harmonyhousefoods.com or you can find Just Tomato brand at local stores such as QFC, Fred Meyers, Whole Foods and some REI's. Harmony's Backpacker Kit is sold at REI. Want it fresh for an overnighter in spring? You can also make this dish with fresh vegetables! Pick up whatever items you like, a couple handfuls. Pea pods, baby zucchini, baby corn, etc work well. In camp using a clean knife chop up the items. Add to the boiling water with the pasta and continue as noted above. Finish the meal with a roma tomato chopped on top.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Mar 11, 2010 4:33 pm 
dicentra wrote:
Is that one the same as the pizza rice? up.gif
The Pizza Rice is a bit different smile.gif That one is also on the website though!

kite

kite
PostThu Mar 11, 2010 4:44 pm 
thank you

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Mar 11, 2010 4:52 pm 
An easy dessert up.gif If you like all natural, check out Trader Joe's for their all natural instant pudding. Good stuff. Double Chocolate Trail Pudding Pies Yield 6 Ingredients * 4 oz package instant chocolate pudding mix * 2⁄3 c instant dry milk * 2⁄3 c mini semi sweet chocolate chips * 1 pk 6 pack mini graham cracker crusts * 2 c cold water Instructions Pack the pudding mix, dry milk and half of the chocolate chips in a quart freezer bag. Tuck the other half in a snack size bag and pack with the crusts. (Leave them in their packaging to avoid being broken). Add the very cold water to the bag, seal tightly and shake for two minutes. Stash the bag in a cold stream or in a snowbank for 15 to 30 minutes to chill. Cut one corner off the bottom of the bag and pipe into each crust. Top with the remaining chocolate chips. If you like extra thick pudding, cut the water back to 1 3/4 cups. This will produce a thick pudding. Notes For just making pudding see here: http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/basic-trail-pudding See the full story on our blog: http://blog.trailcooking.com/2009/09/11/trail-pudding-pies/

Backcountry

Backcountry
PostThu Mar 11, 2010 5:18 pm 
I love the simplicity of this flavorful dinner I stumbled upon and created. I started researching FBC methods to create some better tasting dinners on the trail...maybe even save a buck or two here and there while at it...and in doing so starting rummaging thru my pantry to see what I may have had on-hand for a trip planned that weekend. I use Starkist Creations - Tomato Pesto tuna with Near East Roasted Garlic and Olive Oil couscous. This would probably make enough for two people, but its a huge meal for one very hungry person. Im guessing its around 800 calories and around 45 grams of protein. At home: I empty the box of couscous and the season packet into a freezer bag- I typically use a gallon bag and probably recommend that size for this meal. I put the tuna packet(sealed) into the bag and seal it all up. At meal time: I take the tuna out of the freezer bag, open it and dump it into the freezer bag. Add nearly boiling water- usually around a cup and a half- stir, more stirring = smaller tuna chunks - wait 10 minutes or so with it inside my watch cap (I need a coozie!). And then enjoy. I think a nice garnish would be some shelf stable Parmesan cheese or maybe even some green onions. I wouldnt recommend adding more oil because the tuna has enough for my liking already.

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostThu Mar 11, 2010 5:22 pm 
Those flavored tunas make EASY meals. Just add instant rice or couscous, then stir in the flavored tuna out of the foil packet. EVOO and salt and pepper to taste, maybe a little Parmesan cheese on top. Done! hungry.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Mar 11, 2010 5:28 pm 
Backcountry, you would love this one then: Sun Dried Tomato Tuna Tortellini Ingredients * 8 oz cheese tortellini * 1⁄4 c diced sun-dried tomatoes * 1⁄4 c diced dried shallots * 4 oz package tomato pesto flavored tuna * 1 T extra virgin olive oil (1 packet) * 1 T shelf stable Parmesan cheese * 4 c water Instructions: At home pack the pasta and vegetables in a sandwich bag, sealing tightly. Pack the tuna, oil and cheese packets with it. Put the water and the contents of the pasta bag in your pot. Bring to a boil. Once the water boils, lower the heat on your stove and simmer for a couple minutes. Turn off the stove and let sit for 5 minutes. In cool temperatures put the pot in a cozy to retain heat. Drain off any remaining water carefully, then mix in the oil and tuna. Heat up if desired for a couple seconds, sprinkle in the cheese. Serves 2. Notes: For the pasta, we used 3 Cheese Tortellini by Barilla. The flavored tuna was by Starkist. The meal packaged weighs in at 15-ounces. Nutritional stats are for for each serving, with the recipe making two servings: 674.5 calories, 25.5 grams fat, 33.5 grams protein, 7 grams fiber, 1155 mg sodium. This was based on the products used, other brands will vary. To lower the sodium use plain tuna and look for tortellini with a lower sodium content. For more flavor, add in more cheese.

Backcountry

Backcountry
PostThu Mar 11, 2010 5:37 pm 
Many thanks to you ladies! I now realize how much better I could eat in the backcountry! From MREs, to Mountain House, onto now your recipes or my own concocted FBC meals. Its soooooo easy to plan and make a great tasting meal for backpacking! Im telling ya people- listen to these two and you might eat better backpacking than at home!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Mar 11, 2010 5:41 pm 
hmmm..... looks familiar smile.gif hey I forgot to mention in that other thread that the last couple summers I've also added dried garlic flakes and dried onion flakes to the salmon-tortellini thing. years ago I sliced up and dried a whole mess of Walla Walla sweets - bet they'd work even better. I'm getting the torellini bulk from Oly Food Co-Op. Way cheap. No idea on sodium content. I mix their ( cheese ) tortellini about 4:1 with a bag of Trader Joe's pesto tortellini prior to packing up portions.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Mar 11, 2010 5:51 pm 
sarbar wrote:
In cool temperatures put the pot in a cozy to retain heat.
I put the pan down in a shallow hole in the fine gravel and surround the pot with a few flat rocks to retain the heat. Problem with that method though, is if the gravel is sticky ( Redwood Creek ) it will stick to the bottom of the pan, and when the pan is placed back on the stove the gravel stuck to the pan starts to explode and fly all over the place.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."