Forum Index > Food & Grub > FBC vs. One Pot - which is lighter?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
byproxy

byproxy
PostSat Mar 13, 2010 7:59 am 
i've gone back and forth on this one. i really like fbc cooking but could really do the same thing in the pot too (same technique, just a different vessel really). that said, is it lighter to carry the necessary cozie thing for the fbc or would it be lighter to carry the soap and sponge for the one pot cooking? i'm thinking, at worst, it's a wash. your thoughts?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rooinater
JAWS

rooinater
JAWS
PostSat Mar 13, 2010 10:39 am 
I think it's pretty much a stalemate as to which one in general is lighter, since most of them can be prepared either way and the actual weight of each meal varies by the ingredients used in the particular meal. The only way you are going to get them any lighter is if there are components in the recipe that can be dehydrated to lighten the load. My reason for FBC over cooking in a pan, is by the end of the day I generally just want to sit back and relax. With FBC I boil water, empty it in the bag inside a cozy, let it sit for awhile while I go do other camp chores. I don't have to sit there and simmer and baby the food to not burn it. Then when I am done I lick my spork, roll up my ziplock bag and the dishes are done. I use a cozy mainly because I don't like the idea that in the off chance I have a bag leak or it's a smelly food that is going to permeate into the clothing or beanie. Since I sleep with a quilt I'll be wearing that beanie in national parks and other bear country. That is my main reason for using a cozy instead of clothing. I've tried just cooking meals in the pan, and it always leads to something crispy on the bottom of the pan... and the extra cleanup involved without cross contaminating a lake or river becomes a pita that I don't like dealing with after hiking all day. That's my 2 cents worth.

byproxy

byproxy
PostSat Mar 13, 2010 10:45 am 
i'm with ya... i think it'll be a wash too and i too like the no mess no fuss of fbc. i don't know how y'all do it in the quart bags though. that's 2 cups of water. that's in the range of what most recipes call for... which means your bag is going to be way way full. i prefer the gallon freezer bags. i just didn't want to have to carry a big ol' cozie for the big ol bag. i did some tests (boiled water, let rest for 30 seconds in cup, poured into bag and waited a minute to simulate mixing and such, then into either the bag cozie or the jetboil cup). the cozie kept the water 6 degrees hotter than the jetboil cup. i'm going to pick up some of that reflective bubble stuff today and test out a jetboil cozie to see if i can't match the temp of the bag cozie test. i'll post results once done.

Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostSat Mar 13, 2010 10:45 am 
No matter how light your pot, a freezer bag has just got to be lighter. Can't see any way around that. And as others have noted, you don't really need a cozy--a hat will do. Add to that the convenience of not having to wash out a pot, and I'll take freezer-bag cooking any day.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
rooinater
JAWS

rooinater
JAWS
PostSat Mar 13, 2010 10:53 am 
byproxy wrote:
i'm with ya... i think it'll be a wash too and i too like the no mess no fuss of fbc. i don't know how y'all do it in the quart bags though. that's 2 cups of water. that's in the range of what most recipes call for... which means your bag is going to be way way full. i prefer the gallon freezer bags. i just didn't want to have to carry a big ol' cozie for the big ol bag.
I use a Ti mug that is between 475mL to 700mL, and quart size bag. I can't see why you need anything larger unless you are feeding an army. I can fit the equivalent of 2 large burritos in a quartsized bag or a whole hell of a lot of spaghetti. When I am cooking for more than one person, each person gets there own cozy and there own quartsized bag with a meal in it, especially since the bag is used as their bowl... This also makes it easier to split up the food weight between multiple people.

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent
PostSat Mar 13, 2010 2:07 pm 
A quart is actually 4 cups. A pint is 2 cups.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Mar 13, 2010 2:54 pm 
byproxy wrote:
soap and sponge for the one pot cooking
rooinator wrote:
something crispy on the bottom of the pan
These statements and the other thread beg the question: What are you all cooking that requires soap and a scrubby pad, and why such a problem with stuff sticking to the pot?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSat Mar 13, 2010 3:51 pm 
Well...you can do it both ways if you use my recipes wink.gif I try to do both directions when feasible when posting recipes - how to do FBC and also how to for one pot. (And also often for insulated mugs) If one does full on cooking one pot style meals (where you have to simmer for example) a high quality slick non stick pot goes far in cleanup so you can leave the scrubbie pad and soap at home. Another way to save weight is to only use as big of a pot as you need (hence I own multiple pot and stove setups so I can dial in just what I need!) and learn to cook with only a spoon. I can flip pancakes even with a long handled spoon lol.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSat Mar 13, 2010 3:57 pm 
byproxy wrote:
i'm with ya... i think it'll be a wash too and i too like the no mess no fuss of fbc. i don't know how y'all do it in the quart bags though. that's 2 cups of water. that's in the range of what most recipes call for... which means your bag is going to be way way full. i prefer the gallon freezer bags. i just didn't want to have to carry a big ol' cozie for the big ol bag. i did some tests (boiled water, let rest for 30 seconds in cup, poured into bag and waited a minute to simulate mixing and such, then into either the bag cozie or the jetboil cup). the cozie kept the water 6 degrees hotter than the jetboil cup. i'm going to pick up some of that reflective bubble stuff today and test out a jetboil cozie to see if i can't match the temp of the bag cozie test. i'll post results once done.
Quart bags work well - I know, if you do a 2 cup of water recipe it seems like a lot, but it works! We test every recipe to make sure it won't overflow the bag. On a gallon bag and cozies...you can scrunch the bag into a standard size cozy, it will work. Even the smaller cozies I have produced for pint bags can handle a quart bag full. A tight fit, but it works up.gif I have done a lot of testing over the years with our cozy insulation and they do a good job, our testing time is 15 minutes in, in the cold outdoors to give a good idea of how they function in real life. What you want is for your food to be piping hot even 20 minutes later! (Jared and Jeff have custom cozies that were smaller ones, made of silver silnylon....sadly no longer made as the reflective silnyoln isn't made anymore. They were the coolest of all the cozies I have produced!)

rooinater
JAWS

rooinater
JAWS
PostSat Mar 13, 2010 10:48 pm 
Ski wrote:
These statements and the other thread beg the question: What are you all cooking that requires soap and a scrubby pad, and why such a problem with stuff sticking to the pot?
I had problems with my old evernew nonstick pots years ago. By not cooking in the pot you don't need as large of a pot, and cleanup consists of drinking the water as a beverage or pouring plain H2O out. Now-a-days I only carry pots that are only 2 to 3 ounces that double as my coffee mug, since all I need to do is add hot water to my meals I don't have to carry a heavy nonstick aluminum pan to disperse the heat. The other problem is disposing of any waste that was left in the pot attracts critters to the general area of the campsite. The way that the majority of the people that I have seen along the trail dispose of their food waste while cleaning pots is disheartening. Rinsing it into a river or a lake, or rinsing it out alongside the camp causing animal problems for future campers. This doesn't mean everybody does it, just most the people I've seen.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Mar 13, 2010 11:39 pm 
I'm cooking pasta, oatmeal, and rice in a plain aluminum pot, and what's left in it after I eat wouldn't even feed a few ants very long. Here's what puzzles me: if these new "non-stick" cook pots are so great, why do I see posts talking about food sticking to them? Are they burning the food in the pot? Or cooking stuff with a lot of sugar or grease in it? And why would you need soap or a Scotch-Brite pad? Sand and water won't work? Or would that wipe out the "non-stick" coating on the pot? I don't get it.
rooinator wrote:
people that I have seen along the trail dispose of their food waste while cleaning pots
During a campground cleanup at ONP, I found the remains of somebody's dinner. Looked like they filled a huge Dutch oven with boiled potatoes, carrots, onions, Kielbasa sausage, and white rice. There was enough to feed four people dumped under a tree at the edge of the campsite. Ever pick cooked rice grains up out of the mud? smile.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Mar 14, 2010 3:25 am 
My big issue is I want the food to be yummy. Yum yum yum, yummy food.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Mar 14, 2010 6:07 am 
Ski wrote:
I'm cooking pasta, oatmeal, and rice in a plain aluminum pot, and what's left in it after I eat wouldn't even feed a few ants very long. Here's what puzzles me: if these new "non-stick" cook pots are so great, why do I see posts talking about food sticking to them? Are they burning the food in the pot? Or cooking stuff with a lot of sugar or grease in it? And why would you need soap or a Scotch-Brite pad? Sand and water won't work? Or would that wipe out the "non-stick" coating on the pot? I don't get it.
Pretty easy in that a lot of folks use cheap pots with super hot stoves and don't pay close enough attention. Which equals scorch city. Add in an item that doesn't take a lot of water (for example a person cooking a Knorr side dish versus cooking a pot of pasta in water) also easily leads to scorching. When we hike I constantly look at people's gear and frankly, most people are using older pot systems. You still see a lot of plain untreated aluminum and steel. And if they do go modern....it is Ti. And Ti if overheated it doesn't matter if it is non stick or not!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Mar 14, 2010 8:21 am 
okay so.... if I'm still using my cheap-ass Ecko $6.99 2-quart aluminum saucepan ( with the plastic handle drilled almost to non-existence ) and a Dragonfly... and not experiencing the sticking problem... it must just be that I'm a better cook! smile.gif I'm off to Leavenworth.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Mar 14, 2010 8:50 am 
Ski wrote:
okay so.... if I'm still using my cheap-ass Ecko $6.99 2-quart aluminum saucepan ( with the plastic handle drilled almost to non-existence ) and a Dragonfly... and not experiencing the sticking problem... it must just be that I'm a better cook! smile.gif I'm off to Leavenworth.
Exactly!!!!! biggrin.gif It means ya pay attention and probably don't use your stove on blow torch setting lol.gif A Dragonfly can be pretty well dialed into a good simmer. Now though...fine gourmet cooking on a Pocket Rocket is always fun to watch clown.gif