Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bean Creek Basin Ski 5/2/2010
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mountaineer ordinaire

mountaineer ordinaire
PostMon May 03, 2010 7:42 pm 
For various reasons, including a snow-covered road, poor weather, and less than ideal timing, after a month of trying, I finally found a window of opportunity to ski Bean Creek Basin in the Teanaway area. Unfortunately, two regular ski partners, more forgiving than the average message board responder, were occupied. Having no trip reports to go by other than a single one stating only "the road is open", I apprehensively posted messages on TAY.com and WSTC.org seeking backcountry ski partners. Early Sunday morning, Paul (a one-time previous ski partner), Jennifer, Beth, and I drove east and were pleased to see patches of blue sky beyond Cle Elum. Given the weather forecast, we expected mostly cloudy skies, cool temps, and, later, afternoon snow flurries. Instead, we arrived at the Beverly Creek trailhead under a clear blue sky with temps in the upper 40's. My primary route concern -- crossing Bean Creek -- was put to rest once we saw a well-established boot path offering a safe option to cross the creek at its standard point. The low snowpack required us to stow our skis on our packs for about 1 1/3 miles. With little snow remaining, the two major avalanche chutes which cross the hiking trail posed no danger. Just beyond the second and largest of the two chutes, we began skinning up three to four foot deep consolidated (mostly) corn snow.
Hiking up Bean Creek trail
Hiking up Bean Creek trail
Crossing Bean Creek
Crossing Bean Creek
how's that go... 1 lb less on your feet = 6 lbs off your back?
how's that go... 1 lb less on your feet = 6 lbs off your back?
Reaching the 5,500 foot level, we stopped for lunch, discussed conditions, and our non-specific destination: a safe point offering an enjoyable descent. A group of three skiers skinned their way to the west ridge near a peak sometimes referred to as "Judy", traversed the ridge toward "Mary, and skied down the NE facing bowl. Despite their well-laid skin track, we opted not to follow them given the angle of the slope, the small cornices on the ridge, and a relatively unsafe runout. We instead chose what appeared to be a less harrowing route to the 6,500 foot level ridge NE of "Mary."
Paul and Bean Peak
Paul and Bean Peak
Lunch
Lunch
Heading toward the ridge
Heading toward the ridge
Look, those 3 skiers know what they're doing
Look, those 3 skiers know what they're doing
Despite a contrasting blue sky above the white slope, we were fooled a bit by the angle of the slope's upper section. Within ~300 feet of the ridge, the angle of the slope increased from about 25 degrees to 30-35 degrees. At that point, concerned about the consequences of a fall while skinning in touring mode (despite a mostly safe runout), I removed my skis, stowed them, and "ice-axe scrambled" to the ridge in order to snap a few photos of the Stuart Range. A tempting open bowl and superior skiing skills compelled Paul and Jennifer to hike to the ridge with skis in hand.
Pano Stuart Range
Pano Stuart Range
Looking ENE toward Bean, Earl, and Navaho
Looking ENE toward Bean, Earl, and Navaho
-2 style points: baseball cap + ski googles
-2 style points: baseball cap + ski googles
Satisfied with my photos of Stuart, I scrambled down from the ridge eager to escape 30-40 mph wind gusts. Back at my skis, I enjoyed preparing for the descent I was sure would be worth the four hours of windshield time. The corn snow was no less than perfect and the sparse number of trees and gentle terrain allowed for a quick descent. While we hiked out, the four of us concluded nothing would have made for a better outing.
Route
Route
Stats Duration: 3.5 hours (ascent), 2 hours (descent) Cumulative elev gain: 3,000 ft Mileage: 6.75

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anna Mae
or may not

Anna Mae
or may not
PostMon May 03, 2010 9:09 pm 
Nice report, MO. It's fascinating how different winter recreational activity can be from what you see in ski areas and read about in hiking guides. There's a bunch of people playing out there that most folks don't even suspect. Anna Mae

Against stupidity ...... the gods themselves ...... contend in vain.
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue May 04, 2010 1:25 am 
Can you elaborate on the condition of the North Fork Teanaway road? Could you drive all the way to the Beverly Creek TH? Did the North Fork road look open beyond the Beverly Creek turn-off?

mountaineer ordinaire

mountaineer ordinaire
PostTue May 04, 2010 6:52 am 
We were able to drive the entire way to the Beverly Creek trailhead. The road is 100% snow free so there's no need for AWD. A few drainages in the road don't require a high clearance vehicle but most sedans would likely bottom out. If you drove this road last year with no problems, these man-made ditches are no more difficult. According to this 5/2 note: North Fork Rd is snow free for a mile past the Beverly Creek campground.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed May 05, 2010 9:55 pm 
Nice job. That's a fun tour. Earl is a great ski as well, with multiple worthy lines, though overall a tad steeper and a teeny bit more complex to get to the top of. I always love seeing the avalanche lillies and such on the hike back out at the end of the day too. Ski crampons are a wonderful thing in the spring, eh? (I think I see some in one of the photos...) It's also amazing how quickly this tour tends to melt out. Might be OK this weekend still, though, given this week's cool wet weather, but I've seen one week make a massive difference.

mountaineer ordinaire

mountaineer ordinaire
PostFri May 07, 2010 7:46 pm 
joker wrote:
Earl is a great ski as well
I remember well your May 2009 Earl Peak ski tour because it motivated me -- a novice backcountry skier and Teanaway area aficionado -- to get out to that area this season. up.gif Maybe next season, to put my ski crampons to even better use, I'll have improved enough to graduate from Bean Creek Basin to Earl Peak. cheers.gif

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostSat May 08, 2010 8:01 am 
Nice job MO. up.gif

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat May 08, 2010 8:51 am 
mountaineer ordinaire wrote:
joker wrote:
Earl is a great ski as well
I remember well your May 2009 Earl Peak ski tour because it motivated me -- a novice backcountry skier and Teanaway area aficionado -- to get out to that area this season. up.gif Maybe next season, to put my ski crampons to even better use, I'll have improved enough to graduate from Bean Creek Basin to Earl Peak. cheers.gif
Cool. I hope the area lived up to your expectations! And thanks for the evidence for a premise I've noted a few times on the site, sometimes to slight controversy, that TRs do prompt more people to head to a destination. In this case, though the 509 area skiers may disagree, I feel fine about having more folks up there in the Basin during the brief spring ski window. The first time we went up there, back in about '96, and doing much the same route you appeared to do (a nice route for sure!), we saw only one other party, some folks from near Cle Ellum or Ellensburg who were quite stunned to see another party up there, especially westsiders. Apparently the 100 XC ski tours book was not drawing that many folks over. I'm pretty sure some TAY and nwhikers TRs have managed to do what the book did not, perhaps in part by providing key timing info on when the road is open and the snow cover is still good... As for Earl, one thing I'll note is that on our first trip up, we reached a point on the ridge that we climed (the one going from Earl over to Bean etc.) where we looked up toward Earl and thought "this is not going to go!" But we followed a basic mountain rule of "just keep going until we're shut out" and a half hour or so later, found ourselves on the north tip of the summit ridge. It almost always looks worse looking up at a route than actually being on it. But in any case, the basin is a great area in that it holds fun skiing for a pretty wide range of skill levels, and carrying your skis and the creek crossing are the only minor defenses placed in front of that skiing (perhaps about a fifth of the time, we've needed to wade it - I've taken my boot liners out and waded in my shells, which is a slightly painful move but works...).

mountaineer ordinaire

mountaineer ordinaire
PostSat May 08, 2010 11:32 am 
joker wrote:
And thanks for the evidence for a premise I've noted a few times on the site, sometimes to slight controversy, that TRs do prompt more people to head to a destination.
I'm sure you're aware, if anyone is guilty of drawing more skiers to Bean Creek Basin you're a mere accomplice to Tom Kirkendall and Vicky Spring who long ago published Cross Country Ski Tours. hockeygrin.gif
Next season, if you're up for a repeat, let's figure out a time to hit Earl together. Having hiked it several times, I'm eager to experience its intermediate ski tour route.

Mtn Man
Snow addict

Mtn Man
Snow addict
PostSun May 09, 2010 12:20 pm 
Nice TR! We were talking about doing this one last week. Looks like we may need to revisit that discussion! B)

Mmmmm, backcountry...
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun May 09, 2010 9:43 pm 
mountaineer ordinaire wrote:
I'm sure you're aware, if anyone is guilty of drawing more skiers to Bean Creek Basin you're a mere accomplice to Tom Kirkendall and Vicky Spring who long ago published Cross Country Ski Tours. hockeygrin.gif
Indeed. It's where I learned of the tour. Yet the tour seemed to get a noticeable chunk busier in the last 5-8 years, after getting play on turns-all-year a few seasons in a row. I've noticed this with a few other tours too. As I noted above, I think the jungle drums beating out the news that the road is clear and cover still good makes the internet perhaps a little more impactful for this tour than for some others where timing is not as big a deal. In this case, I think it's a good thing - gets folks out to one of those "voluntary snowmobile closure" areas which tends to help keep them that way. As for next season, if conditions and schedule line up, sure let's join forces for Earl.