Forum Index > Food & Grub > Stove Top Stuffing
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Jul 09, 2010 1:26 pm 
So what kind of protein do you want? Animal? Vegetable? There are not many out there outside of the same ol' same ol'........ Stove Top can be prettied up but in the end it is still stuffing - and due to the heavy sodium content it can over power everything else.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostFri Jul 09, 2010 8:50 pm 
well
I forgot a sack of food on our last trip to Airplane Lake. We didn't EXACTLY run out of food, as I usually over-pack, but for breakfast the last day we had StoveTop & SPAM (the hickory smokey flavor). I cut the SPAM in to slices and fried it in the ordinary way. Then I diced it up and fried it a little more to make it extra crisp (YUM!!) and stirred it into the StoveTop Stuffing that I prepared. The kids were, it goes without saying, appalled. But they were also hungry, and ate all of it. And, it was an instant "classic" (read memorable) backpacking meal. Believe it or not, they have requested it as part of the tradition (once is a tradition?) when we do Airplane again this year. Bon apatite! smile.gif PS to Sabar: The sodium in the SPAM overpowers the sodium in the StoveTop, so in the end they cancel each other out, more or less.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Jul 09, 2010 8:53 pm 
Re: well
kbatku wrote:
PS to Sabar: The sodium in the SPAM overpowers the sodium in the StoveTop, so in the end they cancel each other out, more or less.
lol.gif lol.gif

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostTue Jul 13, 2010 10:33 am 
Being a vegetarian...I've added almonds to the stuffing, as well as TVP (I know, I know, not the greatest). I've been thinking about dehydrating tofu and adding it. Have also added nutritional yeast to meals and would assume it would work well in the stove top. Finally, I've added things like Tofurkey jerkey and those round soy jerkey bites with the cowboy guy on the package (can't remember the name). Those actually soak up water pretty well and soften up nicely.

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Backcountry

Backcountry
PostTue Jul 13, 2010 10:44 am 
What about StoveTop and chicken from a foil pouch? http://www.tyson.com/Consumer/Products/ViewProduct.aspx?id=101

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Jul 13, 2010 10:48 am 
On chicken - Valley Fresh is much better tasting and has a more pleasant texture than Tyson. Safeway and Target carry it (most stores do as well). It is pricier than Tyson but well worth it - and it is gluten free as well (canned and pouched meats can contain stabilizers).

Backcountry

Backcountry
PostTue Jul 13, 2010 11:31 am 
I misread what you posted about chicken earlier Sarbar...I thought you had misspelled poached...derrrrrrrrr....

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Jul 13, 2010 12:06 pm 
Backcountry wrote:
I misread what you posted about chicken earlier Sarbar...I thought you had misspelled poached...derrrrrrrrr....
lol.gif I type with a 15 week old baby in one arm so I have actually done that one lol.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Jul 13, 2010 10:35 pm 
Pouched chicken's too heavy for me. If I'm going on a short enough trip for pouch chicken, I'll be eating better than that. I like the turkey lurkey jerky idea. I'll have to mess with rehydrating at home to get the hang of it. I'd imagine it rehydrates better if it's chopped up a bit. Is turkey jerky doable in the home oven, or should one buy it?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostTue Jul 20, 2010 3:53 am 
Allison wrote:
Pouched chicken's too heavy for me. If I'm going on a short enough trip for pouch chicken, I'll be eating better than that. I like the turkey lurkey jerky idea. I'll have to mess with rehydrating at home to get the hang of it. I'd imagine it rehydrates better if it's chopped up a bit. Is turkey jerky doable in the home oven, or should one buy it?
well, if pouched meats are too heavy for you, then don't eat meat. simple!! just eat powerbars and water, and crave real food while in the backcountry while enjoying your ultralight packload......... seriously, if you desire eating stovetop and are a gram-weenie and looking for ultralight gourmet eating, you will have to pack some "heavyweight" additives to make the stovetop somewhat appealing..... but you already know this since you're asking this question. personally, i can't stomach stovetop anymore... it really is disgusting stuff............... it was okay when the "seasoning" came in a seperate packet and you could dump some of it out, but now all you can get is the ready-to-hydrate stuff.... totally disgusting crap.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Jul 20, 2010 10:51 am 
I'm trying to come up with food for a weeklong trip, so yeah, need to find some lightweight proteins.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostTue Jul 20, 2010 1:01 pm 
How would some shelf stable bacon bits taste in stuffing... Hmmm... bacon stuffing?

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostSat Jul 24, 2010 2:28 am 
dicentra wrote:
How would some shelf stable bacon bits taste in stuffing... Hmmm... bacon stuffing?
finely-chopped raw bacon and black olives were my mother's secret ingredients in her thanksgiving turkey stuffing for years... yep, bacon in turkey stuffing definitely works smile.gif she would also insert slices of bacon somehow under the skin of the breast meat, her turkey was never dry smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif but, bacon + stovetop would be very, very salty.....

ldyblade

ldyblade
PostSat Jul 24, 2010 4:49 pm 
New favorite for us is a twist on the Thanksgiving on the Trail: 1/3 box Stuffing 1/2 pouch mashed potatoes 1/2 pouch chicken gravy mix a good handful of freeze dried chicken pepper The gravy doesn't really come out as gravy being all mixed together with the ingredients, but is just there to add flavor. I think it came out to about 4-5 oz for a two person meal, but the portions weren't huge and due to the quick rehydration, I use this as a lunch anyway. I think it would be too much for one person, so you could portion it down to 3-3.5 oz, I think, but don't quote me on that. Is yummy, that I can pretty much promise!

RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostSat Jul 24, 2010 5:11 pm 
dicentra wrote:
I've cooked bacon until quite crisp and carried it on a multi-day hike with no ill effects to either me or the bacon. You have to blot off as much of the fat as you can in order to retard spoilage.

don't believe everything you think